Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs GWS in Sydney (Read 6005 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs GWS in Sydney

Reply #16
I'm guessing we're a lot better this week..... but I was thinking in more general terms.
Both sides look trimmer,  fitter....there's more penetration in the kicks, they seem more accurate, tackles are sticking and there's a few tricks in play ( a couple of fancy goals)

I don't disagree. But i think that has even changed from the first 2 weeks.

That play is a good example.

Walker (first game) running and kicking to Gee (didn't play week 1).
Before that, Harris, missed last week to injury.

Out of the side were Audley and Lucas-Rodd (small nuggety types with questionable kicking accuracy and depth, fitness).

To me, Nat Plane looks bigger than i remember her. Brazzale is slimmer than she was last year, which was slimmer than the year before. But i can't see anyone else having any other significant transformations individually. Its the new talent coming through rather than tranformation of those in the system already.

Reply #17
Yep, as I said that's my first game so you would be in a better position to compare to last year.
If they play like that though we should have some good games ahead of us.

Reply #18
Nice to actually here the song AFTER the game! Heard that with either gender so rarely last year or two.
Skills and goal scoring seems to have taken a big step in the women's game this year.

Reply #19
What a star Prespakis is, great interview after the game as well... thanks Sam.

A lot of girls knackered in the last qtr but the effort didn't wane. G.Gee is still my fave, nothing of her but courage personified. Glad she got the last goal, richly deserved.

Good win, highest score. Bravo gals.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #20
I must admit that I was nervous until Harris marked on the goal line  :)

Good four quarter effort from the girls and it was great to watch the song performed with such enthusiasm.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21
It was nice being on TV and even nicer having a win! There has been a considerable improvement since that first game flogging in Tasmania. Still have some way to go, but I was happy with the endeavour and the improved skills.

Important points:
[1]   We played much better in the middle of the ground this week. We managed to get a number of top-class centre clearances that allowed us to score quickly. No Carlton side has produced that in years.
[2]   Our forwards lead to the ball a lot more and we looked for them. That was great.
[3]   Our defence looks to be our weakest line on paper and that is probably the case. However, it isn’t as bad as I feared it might be when we lost those tall defenders to other clubs. We need a bit more strength and speed down there, but Harrington and van Dyke have done OK.
[4]   Our forward line looks so much better with Tayla Harris down there, even if she isn’t getting huge numbers, her influence is significant.

Players:
Brazzale:   Not her greatest game today, but she works hard and is solid.

Harrington:   Really ran off her opponents and provided good run from defence but lost a few important one on ones that resulted in GWS goals. The way she played today really showed the difference in our game plan this year.

Jess Hosking:   Jess wasn’t as good as Sarah this week, but you can’t complain about her attack on the ball. She is always brave, but the way she put her body on the line today was great to see.
In the future we will probably need someone with a bit more toe, but at this point in the game’s development, she has to be a favourite.

Stevens:   Not a big game today and didn’t have a lot of the ball. She also didn’t do that well with the one on one stuff.
In a lot of ways, she is a disappointing recruitment. She hasn’t shown the run or the classy disposal she was known for in the VFL and at Collingwood.

Van Dyke:   Young and athletic, van Dyke struggled against the Irish lass, Bonner. Bonner looks to be a superior player, and the way she and the other Irish lasses have gone this year suggests we should be looking there as well.
But, back to van Dyke: like Harrington she found her opponent hard work, but her run and carry and willingness to take the game on was great. You can see that in a lot of girls this year. I have hopes for van Dyke when she gets a little more strength.

Pound:    Not a huge number of possessions for Gabby, but she was solid and hard working.

Davey:   A huge improvement over last week, Bree looked better. Her judgement in the air was good and her work in the middle was excellent. She really played a Captain’s game and didn’t try to do too much. Her improved for this week really improved our stoppage work.

Prespakis:   Another very solid game from a lass who is probably two or three pre-seasons from being at her best. Her classy disposal really shone out. The fact that she just kept getting the ball in all of the role she played was encouraging.

Harris:   She had a couple of really good patches. She really influenced the forward line with her marking and her contesting. She probably doesn’t get enough ball, but she is deadly with those she gets. I loved that she led more this week as well, and that she as Darcy Vescio seemed to gel better: they both didn’t fly for the same marks. 

Loynes:   Another typical Loynes’ game. I just wish she got twice the number of possessions! Guts personified and led well in the forward half.

Plane:   Solid, but not as impressive this week as last week. A solid performer whose kicking appears to have really improved.

Vescio:   Nowhere near he best yet, but she and Harris seem to be working together better. Again, I wish Darcy had twice as many possessions, as each one he gets is a dagger into her opponent’s vitals.
I haven’t seen her pass the ball off as much as she did today. I am pleased with that, as she appeared to have more confidence with her team mates’ kicking ability.

Edwards:   A really good game from Jess Edwards today: she got more of the ball and did good things with it. Good interceptions and good tackling.

Downie:   Our rucks today were up against the lass who had the most taps in the comp last year. They competed well today and probably had the best of the contest. Downie took most of the ruck work and did very well: she places her taps much better than Moody does. Downie also managed a couple of clearances. He ability to keep her opponent from dominating allowed our mids a decent chance, and they took it. Downie managed a number of really good taps that set up one of the mids to run clearly from the middle. I loved that.

Mullane:   Another solid effort from this recruit, who is doing more for us that the more highly rated Stevens. Her kicking is better than last year. Her in and under work was solid.

Bentley:   Very solid in defence. Like Brazzale and Jess Hosking, Bentley will probably be eventually replaced by faster, stronger lasses in time. But in the meantime, I am happy to see her in our defence, as she gives a good contest.

Dalton:   This lass looks like a recruiting masterstroke. I love the way she runs and tackles from the wing. She had a really significant game today and was influential in getting the ball forwards.

Gee:   A year in the system, a bit of confidence and a bit more strength and Georgia Gee has improved a lot. Her skills are evident because she is getting a lot more of the ball and she really hits targets. The difference between her disposal and the general disposal last year is just so obvious. She didn’t turn over a single kick.

Sarah Hosking:   Sarah got some of the best centre breaks a midfielder ever wants to get today: it was lovely. She spent a lot more time than Jess did in the midfield and her numbers were up. And you have to like her attack: it was lovely!

Walker:   Another huge ‘in’ this week, this lass is another rugby lass who has improved so much in a short time. Her run was excellent, as was her chasing ad tacking.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #22
I forgot Moody: sorry. :)
Moody did well enough in the ruck, which is clearly her best position. But lack of game awareness can be critical. She will probably frustrate me for a long time to come.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #23
I forgot Moody: sorry. :)
Moody did well enough in the ruck, which is clearly her best position. But lack of game awareness can be critical. She will probably frustrate me for a long time to come.

I think Moody forgot Moody today.
Stat sheet shows.
Kicks - 1
Tackles - 2
Hitouts - 17

Marks - 0
Handballs - 0

Brazzale also only got 1 touch today, but at least her efforts previously have put her amongst the votes.

I said it last week, but i'm worried about Moody. Think she is overrated and despite the B+F result last year, she appears to almost be a liability.

Wouldn't mind seeing Watt <--> Moody this week.

Reply #24
I thought Moody provided a presence around the ground and kept pressure on the GWS rucks ... but she is out of touch.  She seemed to misjudge both the ball and the play on several occasions and her missed shot at goal summed up her day.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #25
I seldom comment on umpiring out of respect for those doing a very difficult job... but... I found some of yesterday's decisions perplexing at least and at times just down right wrong, generally favouring GWS.

An example would be the last qtr (I think) when a GWS defender had 'in the back' paid when it was blatantly obvious that there was no push and a little acting. Then a few minutes later on the wing, Vescio clearly copped, in a marking contest, head and neck contact from an outstretched arm... tumbleweeds and crickets. Same umpire as well.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #26
I seldom comment on umpiring out of respect for those doing a very difficult job... but... I found some of yesterday's decisions perplexing at least and at times just down right wrong, generally favouring GWS.

An example would be the last qtr (I think) when a GWS defender had 'in the back' paid when it was blatantly obvious that there was no push and a little acting. Then a few minutes later on the wing, Vescio clearly copped, in a marking contest, head and neck contact from an outstretched arm... tumbleweeds and crickets. Same umpire as well.

I can recall the first, but not the second incident.

I can mention quite a few more as well.

Personally i think they just about ignored the incorrect disposal/holding the ball rule. Too many times a player was taken down to the ground without getting a disposal off and it was called play on. Its a bug bear of mine from the AFL, and its twice as bad in the AFLW.

That being said, i don't think it was one way.
An example was when Vescio got a free on the boundary line as an incoming pass sailed out on the full. A replay shows she was 'held', barely, and played up to it. A 1 in 100 chance the free would be payed and 0% chance it would have any effect on the game (Ball was untouchable and out on the full). Pretty sure we got a goal out of it.

It works both ways.

Reply #27
Its up from the first 2 weeks! Could pick it from the first 2 minutes of the game.

All our new recruits are making a difference though.
Prespakis, obviously.
Dalton and Walker, rugby 7 girls, add pace and gut running.
Edwards...etc

Fun fact of the day.

Live ladder shows if the game stopped now (or we kept the same margin) we'd be on top of our conference mid-round. With the current top 2 playuing against (stronger) conference a teams to come.

From last to first in 1 week? Conferences keeping teams in it, when previously they;d be no chance.  ;)

It's OK when you're in the dud conference  :)

I'd be spitting chips if we came third in a stronger conference and missed a finals spot to a team that had won fewer games.  I guess it will even out over time.

Reply #28
It's OK when you're in the dud conference  :)

I'd be spitting chips if we came third in a stronger conference and missed a finals spot to a team that had won fewer games.  I guess it will even out over time.

It is almost NEVER this extreme in the split ups. But, it still proves my point. If there was 10 teams and top 4 went through, all 5 of the the teams in our conference would have the cue in the rack already. Top 4 is between 5 teams. 5 teams would have season over.

This way, all 5 of those teams still have an interest in the season.
Of the other 5, all 5 of them are still capable of making top 5 in the 'good group'.

Yes ultimately, 3rd in the good group may not make the finals, but chances are they played and lost to the 2 teams that did make it from their group, so they've only got themselves to blame.

Reply #29
Yes, the conference system is maintaining interest for the supporters of more teams but it’s not rewarding better performing teams.

I think it could work in the long run when the competition has settled down and become more even.  Deciding on the conferences before teams were finalised probably wasn’t the best approach.

It might be a logistical nightmare but I would prefer to see the conferences finalised after three rounds.  Of course, my ultimate preference is for each team to play every team once.