Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Rd 2 2021 Carlton vs Western Bulldogs Friday at Whitten Oval  (Read 4455 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW Rd 2 2021 Carlton vs Western Bulldogs Friday at Whitten Oval

Reply #45
Correct.

We had ball inside our forward half 90% of the last quarter.

....and they kicked the first 2 or 3 goals of it!

EDIT:
Stats here...
https://womens.afl/match-centre/2021/2906/wb-v-carl#teamstats

MI50 4-11
Tackles 55-78
Handballs 69-118

I'd like to see the intercept mark (aka kicks direct to the opposition) stats  ::)

I thought we were the better side by far on the night and the stats back that up ... but the scoreboard says, "NO!"
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #46
I know we are frustrated being 0-2, but at least we are not Geelong or Richmond.

They have kicked a total of 3 goals each....from their 2 games.
1 goal each in R1
2 goals each in R2.

They are in for a year of pain.

In fact the tigers haven't won a game........ever!

*We have kicked 9 goals from our 2 matches

Reply #47
We're missing several of our best starting 22, tactics have changed and our game style is paying a heavy price, in a short season it's not the ideal start but it's not baby and bath water time either. Things can change very quickly.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
Interestingly our VFL girls had a similar result v WB.
3q time we lead 17 - 19.
FT 33 - 19
How often do we see that in our men's games too 😫
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #49
Charges Laid:
Madison Prespakis, Carlton, has been charged with Rough Conduct (Dangerous Tackle) against Kirsty Lamb, Western Bulldogs, during the third quarter of the Round Two match between the Western Bulldogs and Carlton, played at Whitten Oval on Friday February 5.

In summary, she can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Low Impact and High Contact. The incident was classified as a $400 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a reprimand with an early plea.
I cannot recall this specific incident, I do recall an incident where a Dogs players slipped and Madi was penalised for high contact, I hope that isn't the charge!

Not specific to this incident, while I'm all for protecting the head I can't see a rule surviving long if players get penalised for instances of high contact caused by an opponent's actions. Slipping, head ducking, etc., etc., professional sport lawyers would have a field day! If the authorities do not get this right sooner or later someone will challenge things and the cart will be tipped, probably during the finals!

In one AFLW game I saw one team-mate propel/slingshot a team-mate into an opponent, in doing so they won a free for high contact, it was bizarre! Is this a genuine tactic, recruit some spuds and throw them at the opposition? The decision should be the exact opposite or play on, I realise how hard this is to umpire.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
Charges Laid:I cannot recall this specific incident, I do recall an incident where a Dogs players slipped and Madi was penalised for high contact, I hope that isn't the charge!

Not specific to this incident, while I'm all for protecting the head I can't see a rule surviving long if players get penalised for instances of high contact caused by an opponent's actions. Slipping, head ducking, etc., etc., professional sport lawyers would have a field day! If the authorities do not get this right sooner or later someone will challenge things and the cart will be tipped, probably during the finals!

In one AFLW game I saw one team-mate propel/slingshot a team-mate into an opponent, in doing so they won a free for high contact, it was bizarre! Is this a genuine tactic, recruit some spuds and throw them at the opposition? The decision should be the exact opposite or play on, I realise how hard this is to umpire.

I remember Maddy executing a sling tackle and thinking at the time that she could be in trouble.  Improving tackling technique to eliminate sling tackles should be a priority.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #51
I remember Maddy executing a sling tackle and thinking at the time that she could be in trouble.  Improving tackling technique to eliminate sling tackles should be a priority.
Fair enough.

What did you think of the tackle that got the GWS girl suspended this week?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52

Correct.

That is my memory of it too.

Reply #53
Fair enough.

What did you think of the tackle that got the GWS girl suspended this week?

I haven't seen that one LP and I couldn't find it in a quick search.