Skip to main content
Topic: Leadership Group 2018 (Read 34423 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Leadership Group 2018

Reply #105
The whole point of leadership is for people to lift the others when the chips are down.

Not to be "the boss".

What is important is how they all act and react when necessary.

I was a captain once.  I played 18 of 20 captains games, and the other 2 had lost my head for one reason or another.

That's where your additional captains come into the equation.  Not to boss people around.  Sometimes people struggle with their role, and leadership, and having additional leaders around is to help spread that load around.  Not for bossing people around.

True leaders don't boss people around anyway.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #106
I'd be trying to recruit players who take it upon themselves to lift when required, as opposed to those types who are unable to do so, who wait for some "external inspiration." It's hard enough playing your best week in week out, without the additional burden of lifting higher because others are not able to.

It's not about skill - it's about effort, attitude and desire.

Reply #107
I'd be trying to recruit players who take it upon themselves to lift when required, as opposed to those types who are unable to do so, who wait for some "external inspiration." It's hard enough playing your best week in week out, without the additional burden of lifting higher because others are not able to.

It's not about skill - it's about effort, attitude and desire.

Which is why i've been praising Daisy since he arrived at the club. No matter what BS has been plastered in the media and no matter how much crap he cops from his own supporters, you can never question his effort, attitude and desire.

Reply #108
Bosses talk about "I" and "you". Leaders talk about "we".
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #109
Which is why i've been praising Daisy since he arrived at the club. No matter what BS has been plastered in the media and no matter how much crap he cops from his own supporters, you can never question his effort, attitude and desire.

I guess so, but he's a sore point as I'm sure you'll agree, and not quite what I had in mind when I posted.

But fair enough.

Reply #111
I guess so, but he's a sore point as I'm sure you'll agree, and not quite what I had in mind when I posted.

But fair enough.

He isn't the sore point, his contract is. Blame the club and/or his management.
He is doing everything you could ask of him.

Reply #112
He isn't the sore point, his contract is. Blame the club and/or his management.
He is doing everything you could ask of him.

His presence at the club is a sore point for some, and would be even if was on half the coin. If Mick wasn't coach at the time, Daisy would never have been on our radar.

His presence at the club is enmeshed with a whole lot of other crap that went down at the same time, and he's caught up in it, so he gets whacked almost by association. He has comported himself with class the whole time, unlike his mentor, and that's a credit to him. But he should never have been there in the first place, at least IMO.

Reply #113
His presence at the club is a sore point for some, and would be even if was on half the coin. If Mick wasn't coach at the time, Daisy would never have been on our radar.

His presence at the club is enmeshed with a whole lot of other crap that went down at the same time, and he's caught up in it, so he gets whacked almost by association. He has comported himself with class the whole time, unlike his mentor, and that's a credit to him. But he should never have been there in the first place, at least IMO.

Again, nothing of which he has any control over. Guilty by association and its bollocks.

I'd have any bloke at the club that offers that kind of effort day in day out no matter where he came from and who he may or may not have been associated with.

Reply #114
Again, nothing of which he has any control over. Guilty by association and its bollocks.

I'd have any bloke at the club that offers that kind of effort day in day out no matter where he came from and who he may or may not have been associated with.

The point is though, those sorts of qualities are not the sole preserve of highly paid, contentious, injury scarred recruits - you can get players with those sorts of qualities without going down the Daisy road.  

Reply #115

Yes, I agree with that, but not if they're paid overs and recruited without any thought to what list deficiencies we need to address.

Daisy's last season and his decision to drop the contract extension condition shows that (a) he is still capable of playing good footy, (b) his experience is important, and (c) he is not the mercenary many thought he was. 

I don't think we should have recruited him but I think that he will have a role to play this season, perhaps as much with the NBs as with the seniors.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #116
Nobody can ever justify the recruitment of Daisy and the money he has been paid. It has been an atrocious recruitment from the club, one of the very worst ever. That isn't saying Daisy doesn't try, it isn't saying that he isn't a role model, it isn't addressing any of those things. It is a simple fact that if one of your top 2-3 paid players isn't in the 10 most effective  players at your club, you have made a horrible mistake. That top coin is meant to be for superstars, plain and simple. They should have the qualities Daisy is said to have AND be great footballers. Remember he was paid Dangerfield like cash.

If we wanted just good blokes we would have implored Armfield to keep going, by all reports he is a ripper of a bloke and bust his nut to help others.

Whilst it is great for someone to be a mentor or good bloke, it isn't enough for a highly paid player
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #117
While Daisy is the topic of discussion, I thought I would throw this in here, a snippet from a training report (source BF) from earlier this week, while over in Tassie....

So to the highlights/lowlights
OK I'm just gonna get it out of the way....3 votes D Thomas...the only caveat being it is a big ground and no stands to get an elevated view so if I missed an on baller running rampant I humbly apologise but don't think I did.
- When the game started it was the Best 22 vs the rest and it was also clear that some players went back to just bombing the ball fwd to a pack rather than the drill they'd just done...I can see why Bolts picks Daisy, for all his limitations, he's smart - he moved into the space he was supposed to be in, he weighed his options, presented as a hit up HFF and did 2 kicks, whilst not blind they were long centred ones over the traffic from one HFF to the other (and there is no way he had time to see that option in congestion) to where the fwds and mids were were supposed to be streaming into...and guess what they were and got easy goals...does it translate to match day - I dunno but he's playing/training the way Bolton is drilling.

Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #118
Thanks Amers. Nice insight.

Reply #119
Thanks Amers. Nice insight.
x2
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot