Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Pandemonium: AFL rd 13: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 8969 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Pandemonium: AFL rd 13: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #120
I have been in favour of playing two ruckmen but, as I said in the pre-game thread, I was concerned about going into the game with De Koning, Pittonet, Casboult and McKay.  My concerns were baseless and all four made solid contributions.  However, there are some issues.

Witts is an imposing figure and won the hitouts (and hitouts to advantage).  His contribution around the ground was negligible and he didn’t take a mark.  Pittonet was very competitive in the ruck contests but had minimal impact around the ground.  De Koning was beaten in ruck contests but was influential around the ground and as a high forward.  Casboult was used in the ruck more than I expected but wasn’t a success, apart from his marking.

Interestingly, Pittonet spent a third of the game on the bench and De Koning was rested for 25% of the game.  De Koning spent time as a forward when not in the ruck but Pittonet went from ruck to the bench.  Casboult gave De Koning a spell when Pittonet was off the ground.

I don’t know if that will be the model for future games but can we afford to have two players spending 25% and 33% of the game on the bench?  It probably isn’t a major factor with shortened quarters but would having two players on the bench for long periods upset our rotations and the ability of our midfielders to remain competitive?

It may become even more problematic when McGovern gets back....and next year there may be Curnow to fit into the side as well.
What do we do with Kreuzer? Hard to see a place for someone like Silvagni as a forward as well.

Reply #121
Yeah, I read of it back in March, I thought it was common knowledge.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/03/03/player-manager-reveals-new-details-on-afl-amazon-documentary/

https://www.finder.com.au/amazon-afl-documentary-streaming-tv-series

Never heard any more on it apart from what i wrote before.

Those links seem to be a bit unsure too, albeit Eddie Betts is named in both, so probably right.

Reply #122
Forget all the Gibbo stuff.

What i got out of the article was that we were one of the teams featured on the Amazon doco. Was anyone else aware of this?

I think GWS had been outed as being one, and Collingwood famously knocked Eddie McGuire back.

Not sure what Collingwood were thinking? This is terrific for the fans and it's their own president's media company.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #123
Not sure what Collingwood were thinking? This is terrific for the fans and it's their own president's media company.

From what i can recall, they were over it after having just done a doco recently.

Bucks and some of the senior players said enough was enough and overruled Eddie.

EDIT: .....Eddie had been the one to go to Amazon and get all this stuff set up (to pump up his club in the meantime) and in the end he's basically done it for everyone else instead.

Reply #124
and commentators — Less is more! Stop filling every damn gap with inane dribble

You weren't enjoying BT's oh-so-close-to-being-outright-racist comments about the crowd?

Reply #125
You weren't enjoying BT's oh-so-close-to-being-outright-racist comments about the crowd?
 You mean the crowd wasn't jumping around looking in all directions and bedazzled by the bright lights and the big city? :o
The Force Awakens!