Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Participation: AFL Rd 16: Carlton vs Sydney at Metricon (Read 11495 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Participation: AFL Rd 16: Carlton vs Sydney at Metricon

Reply #90
He had a shocker, no two ways about it.
I wouldn't be giving him away for nothing: we spent to much money getting him. But he needs time to get his game right, to start holding his marks, especially.

See if West Coast or Fremantle are interested - one of them may be. Swap of picks involved with a trade for Adam Cerra who may want to come home.

Reply #91
This is obviously a post game thread, but just to add my thoughts on McGovern - his best is definitely good enough. The club needs to figure out whether and when they can get him playing best or near best on a consistent basis. I'm not fussed if he plays forward, back etc. Just get him playing good footy. If not, then he should be traded. His form is lousy, and I hope it's just a short term situation.

He could certainly get some good tips abut defensive play from his brother.

Reply #92
He'll get a contract extension.

Unless he wants out and we trade him.

I think we paid him a lot to come over, and now we can sign him ALA Daisy for a lot less, and keep our war chest.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #94
My comments in colour.
Just fark him off, he's embarrasing.
Carlton Players Out of Contract in 2020   Carlton Player Contracts 
Name   Years Service   Status
Ben Silvagni   2   Non-Free Agent Will remain.
Callum Moore   1   Non-Free Agent  I wouldn't retain him. Doesn't fit into our structure, for all his enthusiasm.
Cameron Polson   4   Non-Free Agent  Polson might get another contract, as a defender. No certainty.
Darcy Lang   3   Non-Free Agent  He's so gone it isn't funny. I honestly don't understand why we were interested in him.
Eddie Betts   1   Non-Free Agent Apparently Eddie is in talks. Depends on what happens to list sizes and salary caps. Will be at the club in some capacity.
Edward Curnow   10   Unrestricted Free Agent He won't be going anywhere.
Finbar O'Dwyer   2   Non-Free Agent  I don't think he has done enough to be retained.
Fraser Phillips   1   Non-Free Agent had one year. Will probably get another.
Harrison Macreadie   4   Non-Free Agent  Depends on list size and salary cap.
Hugh Goddard   2   Non-Free Agent  Great at VFL level, just not fast enough at AFL level. Offer him a spot in our VFL side next year?
Jack Newnes   1   Non-Free Agent  Done enough. Will be retained.
Josh Honey   1   Non-Free Agent  Looks promising.
Kade Simpson   18   Unrestricted Free Agent  Not sure what will happen to Simmo. He might retire. he hasn't been as good this year, although he hasn't been bad.
Lachlan Plowman   5   Non-Free Agent Will be retained.
Levi Casboult   11   Unrestricted Free Agent Will be retained.
Marc Murphy   15   Unrestricted Free Agent Signed on for one more year. Will probably see him out.
Matt Cottrell   2   Non-Free Agent Done enough. Will be retained.
Matt Owies   2   Non-Free Agent Probably will be retained. Is still improving.
Matthew Kennedy   3   Non-Free Agent Done enough. Will be retained. Much improved this year.
Matthew Kreuzer   13   Unrestricted Free Agent Not sure what is going to happen with the Tractor. His injuries may make him retire.
Michael Gibbons   2   Non-Free Agent Done enough. Will be retained.
Mitch McGovern   2   Non-Free Agent Having spent so much on Mitch I think we'll give him another year. But he is definitely on shaky ground and needs to start showing a lot more.
Nic Newman   2   Non-Free Agent Can't see him going anywhere.
Tom Williamson   4   Non-Free Agent Done enough to get another contract.
Will Setterfield   2   Non-Free Agent Done enough to get another contract.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #95
Gov may possibly get another contract but on much reduced pay with heavy emphasis on performance targets. I don't think he is what we need atm but that is what is more l likely to happen than him being shown the door.

I think he's very capable of being a very good/elite 3rd tall.

But for whatever reason his time at CFC has been close to embarrassing.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #96
I think he's very capable of being a very good/elite 3rd tall.

But for whatever reason his time at CFC has been close to embarrassing.
A F50 overcrowded with talls and pretty poor ball use would seem to be the major contributing problems.

Watch last night, Simmo nearly kicks over the head of a player just 15m or 20m away, it's plain as day on the broadcast as the whole event happens within shot! It's not good enough from beginners let alone veterans.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #97
A F50 overcrowded with talls and pretty poor ball use would seem to be the major contributing problems.

Watch last night, Simmo nearly kicks over the head of a player just 15m or 20m away, it's plain as day on the broadcast as the whole event happens within shot! It's not good enough from beginners let alone veterans.

Yes, indeed. No argument on that score at all....

But I think the guy had 1 touch up to 3-4 time.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #98
Yes, indeed. No argument on that score at all....

But I think the guy had 1 touch up to 3-4 time.
Someone watching mentioned here on the forum somewhere that McGovern seemed to be playing the decoy role for McKay and Casboult, not sure if it's true I think it's too hard to tell from a TV broadcast.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone on the forum who was there live and can comment.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #99
Obviously the kicking into Fw50 was horrible all match (and has been for a while, probably except for the Bulldogs game)

It was much worse in the first Q and a bit.

I reckon one thing that stood out in that first Q and a bit was the 15m kick - mark - go back - 15m kick - mark - go back style we were playing.  We look our best when we take the game on, play on, look for the little kick into the corridor, but then play on from it.  Why were we slowing down so much in the first stanza??  Makes the kick into fw50 that much harder, as gives the Swans a chance to set up. 

We were a bit more free-flowing in the remainder of the match - and suddenly the forward entries became (slightly!!) easier.

First q and a bit was ridiculous, i think at one stage they had 10 fwd50 entires for 7 goals and we had 20 entries for zilch!!

The only pleasing thing out of the early going, is that we didnt drop our workrate - kept up the tackling and kept winning the contested ball

Reply #100
Someone watching mentioned here on the forum somewhere that McGovern seemed to be playing the decoy role for McKay and Casboult, not sure if it's true I think it's too hard to tell from a TV broadcast.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone on the forum who was there live and can comment.

That decoy tactic has been mentioned as a role for him before.
If that has been the case (and it is speculation) it's arguably a waste....I'd like to see how Gov would go as the main target.

Reply #101
Seems like a lot to pay for a decoy? 🤔
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #102
One thing McGovern is good at is blocking for his teammates. Its one reason why him being a decoy is brought up, and i've brought it up before personally.

I don't think its a permanent role, but he has played it in parts for sure.

Reply #103
We paid money to get him, we'll pay a lot less to keep him.  We paid less for free agent Jack Martin, and even he is heavily front loaded.  It all spells war chest to me.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #104
teague and coaches should be really concerned / 7 goals start to a young side missing 4 stars . If he kicks straight from that free we lose .