Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 16: Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 9413 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 16: Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #30
Considering the result, listening to the crowd reaction to Teague and watching his interaction with the players at the end of the game I'd suggest many of the media will be jumping on the 'Kruddler tram' this week.

The thing is that the focus of media attention this week probably wont be the game itself and the positive aspects.
It will be how stupid are Carlton conducting a review on a side while they're still competitive.
Or, if freo had kicked straight...  oh, and by the way, how good were Essendon.....

Reply #31
Considering the result, listening to the crowd reaction to Teague and watching his interaction with the players at the end of the game I'd suggest many of the media will be jumping on the 'Kruddler tram' this week.

The thing is that the focus of media attention this week probably wont be the game itself and the positive aspects.
It will be how stupid are Carlton conducting a review on a side while they're still competitive.

I'm not sure about that Lods.  Freo are flakey at best and we worked hard at getting them back into the game.  I think that the game encapsulates our problems; our good is outstanding but our bad is terrible.  If the review can work out how to move our bad closer to our good, it will be a job well done.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #32
Loved the look on his face when he took a goal saving grab (on the 3q siren?), and gave every teammate in earshot a spray - looked like a bit of “why the fck do I keep having to bail you guys out”

Noticed that too. First time I've seen him look really p$*€$d. I like it, it suits him. Perhaps a little Stocker is rubbing off on him.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #33
Darcy is a big unit and TDK got tired trying to out jump him.....Casboult was next to useless as well in the ruck which doesnt help him either.
Agree on Pittonet though, more valuable than most think, its not about winning the ruck everytime but just nullifying
the opposition rucks and breaking even when they probably have the edge in numbers and ability.
Levi at least stopped the dominance of Darcy. After a stinker of a night his last 20 min was very important. Given we won't be winning much in the ruck anyway we might be better starting Levi in the ruck given his extra strength. Goes better when he gets a free run around the ground whereas TDK might give more value than Levi forward.

Reply #34
Loved the look on his face when he took a goal saving grab (on the 3q siren?), and gave every teammate in earshot a spray - looked like a bit of “why the fck do I keep having to bail you guys out”

He has next skipper written all over him.

Reply #35
Or, if freo had kicked straight...  oh, and by the way, how good were Essendon.....

I'm not sure about that Lods.  Freo are flakey at best and we worked hard at getting them back into the game.  I think that the game encapsulates our problems; our good is outstanding but our bad is terrible.  If the review can work out how to move our bad closer to our good, it will be a job well done.

That's why the timing of the review 'in season' is out of whack.
It's going to be influenced to a large extent by short term week to week results.

Reply #36
Levi at least stopped the dominance of Darcy. After a stinker of a night his last 20 min was very important. Given we won't be winning much in the ruck anyway we might be better starting Levi in the ruck given his extra strength. Goes better when he gets a free run around the ground whereas TDK might give more value than Levi forward.
Fair points, I thought TDK needed more of a break during the game ...Levi took a couple of marks late that were handy but I'd be more worried that TDK will be run into the ground in the next few weeks if we dont look after him better.
Maybe as you say Levi needs to start onball or get an earlier run to warm him up and to share the workload better.

Reply #37
Newman got his job done again. Happy with his return from injury. Can't help but feel optimistic if we could manage a season with less injuries
Henry Ford.

Reply #38
Newman got his job done again. Happy with his return from injury. Can't help but feel optimistic if we could manage a season with less injuries
Used the ball well did Newman and I didnt mind Williamsons game either....

Reply #39
Fair points, I thought TDK needed more of a break during the game ...Levi took a couple of marks late that were handy but I'd be more worried that TDK will be run into the ground in the next few weeks if we dont look after him better.
Maybe as you say Levi needs to start onball or get an earlier run to warm him up and to share the workload better.

Absolutely!

Tom is still a lightweight for a first ruck and giving him a spell in between jumping over the opposition rucks will increase his effectiveness and keep him on the park.  Getting Levi involved in the game early improves his output.  If he hasn't taken a mark in the first five minutes, throw him into the ruck.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #40
Last week we kicked 0.5 in q4.
This week we kicked 2.5. Is that fatigue? On both occasions we had very getable shots. Naturally Walsh's goal tonight was a freak snap.

Pleasingly we had 8 goalkickers 👏
Henry Ford.

Reply #41

That's why the timing of the review 'in season' is out of whack.
It's going to be influenced to a large extent by short term week to week results.

Again, I'm not sure that's a bad thing.  The review may have ramifications for coaching positions and list management and it's best to sort those matters out before the best coaches are employed and list management decisions have to be made. 

Reply #42
Last week we kicked 0.5 in q4.
This week we kicked 2.5. Is that fatigue? On both occasions we had very getable shots. Naturally Walsh's goal tonight was a freak snap.

Pleasingly we had 8 goalkickers 👏

I'm sure they do it just to make our life tough.. lol.

We were very accurate until then.

Reply #43
Cripps was struggling with an injury, even though we officially didn't have any. Otherwise, he wouldn't have used his left foot like he did in the 3rd. And he still did some really good things.
For most of the night Walsh was being shadowed quite well. But in the last quarter he was nothing short of brilliant. That goal was incredible.
Kennedy was good in the middle, especially in the middle two quarters, because he just got the ball forward without trying to be fancy. We got goals from his clearances. When he wasn't in the middle, he barely touched in those quarters. He was good early and very solid in the last.
In the last quarter and in the first we really squashed Fyffe. But in the middle two we had problems with our centre setup.
Levi Casboult more than needed the run. For 3 quarters he was dreadful, dropping marks and making mistakes. His last quarter was another beat entirely. Him lifting denied Freo the easy clearances. We have little choice but to play him: we don't have another tall to bring in. But he did a lot of redeeming in that last quarter.
Jack Silvagni had a dominant game. he has rarely had more of the ball. We finally looked for him on the lead and his first two kicks at goal were superb. That was how he did back in his first season. That is what he needs to do every week.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #44
Darcy is a big unit and TDK got tired trying to out jump him.....Casboult was next to useless as well in the ruck which doesnt help him either.

Levi WAS next to useless for the first 3/4 but played an essential role in the final 1/4 when TDK was stuffed.