Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 19: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 14830 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 19: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #165
Yet the midfield is stronger with that hack Cripps in there and his mate Kennedy, but we needed them to play KPF.
But remember, injuries are just making excuses… 🤦🏼‍♂️
Not sure i'd want to call Cripps a hack. He carried this club on his back for years.

Reply #166
Not sure i'd want to call Cripps a hack. He carried this club on his back for years.

Cripps is no hack but the Lone Ranger approach will never be successful.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #167
Think NB was jesting, Cripps is far from a hack, just needs to adjust to spending a bit more time forward like Fyfe, Bont etc and us becoming less reliant on him in the middle. Problem is then all the attention goes to Walsh, so we need some more high class help in the middle..

Reply #168
North players being allowed to stand up and dish off in tackles.

Did the umpires let both teams know this was the new rules, or just the Kangas??  They seemed to be not too concerned with being tackled and spun 4 times.

Reply #169
Did the umpires let both teams know this was the new rules, or just the Kangas??  They seemed to be not too concerned with being tackled and spun 4 times.
 Even surprised the Pro-Kangas commentary team!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #170
I wonder how many systems rely on playing with no key position forwards.
I said in the pregame that the #1 question being asked after the game was why didn't we play Charlie.

Is taken people a few days but u think they are finally staying to see it.

Reply #171
I said in the pregame that the #1 question being asked after the game was why didn't we play Charlie.

Is taken people a few days but u think they are finally staying to see it.
As good as Charlie is or can be, the only thing he has done is play 2/3rds of a game that was the equivalent of dancing with your sister!

Looking good in a game that is nothing more than a virtual intraclub, with composite teams made up of players going 1/2 rat pace, is not a serious run let alone a qualification.

If BigH remains out, and they wheel out Charlie after doing 4/5ths of feck all, then it confirms to me they(The Club) are all about profit and not long term success!

I appreciate Charlie has to play some footy as a reward for effort, for his own wellbeing, but they can do that in the VFL where nobody gives a feck if he is permanently benched half-way through the 3rd qtr! If he gets so much as a sore follicle, they can bench him to avoid the next curse of quads or hammies after a knee injury, and ease him in over weeks rather than obliterate his efforts in a single frenetic game.

Of course that doesn't mean he couldn't come in and be an instant success, but where is the reward relative to the risk?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #172
I can see both LP's and Thry's POV on Charlie, but probably leaning towards the latter. For a player of his calibre, if he's fit enough to play VFL, then he's fit enough for AFL. I'd like to see how his body stands up over the 4 remaining games, how his mobility / athleticism has been affected etc. His time on field could be managed, and probably should be managed. He could be a boost for fans, and may also help save Teague's ar$e, which appears to be on borrowed time. I wouldn't say this for every player, bur for Charlie I'd be thinking "no time like the present."

Reply #173
I can see both LP's and Thry's POV on Charlie, but probably leaning towards the latter. For a player of his calibre, if he's fit enough to play VFL, then he's fit enough for AFL. I'd like to see how his body stands up over the 4 remaining games, how his mobility / athleticism has been affected etc. His time on field could be managed, and probably should be managed. He could be a boost for fans, and may also help save Teague's ar$e, which appears to be on borrowed time. I wouldn't say this for every player, bur for Charlie I'd be thinking "no time like the present."
You dont take a Ferrari bushbashing. Nuff said.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #174
You dont take a Ferrari bushbashing. Nuff said.

Definite agreement GTC ... too late for any impact on our season, so no, ease him back in.

Reply #175
Just a couple of weeks ago the media was bashing us for playing kids underdone or when they didn't deserve a game.

A lot of fans who agreed with that at the time, now want Charlie straight into the AFL effectively untested and untuned.

It seems a tad inconsistent from both sectors.

Further, I'm sure if he breaks they'll blame Russell or Teague.

I believe until our club stops reacting to external pressures, we are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past, many fans can already feel this coming!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #176
Just a couple of weeks ago the media was bashing us for playing kids underdone or when they didn't deserve a game.

A lot of fans who agreed with that at the time, now want Charlie straight into the AFL effectively untested and untuned.

It seems a tad inconsistent from both sectors!

Further, I'm sure if he breaks they'll blame Russell or Teague!

I understand your point, but every rule has its exceptions. I tend to agree with Thry. I'd rather he breaks down this season, and that way we can plan over the pre season accordingly. There would be nothing worse IMO that a massive build up over the summer, lots of hype, hope, expectation etc., then he breaks down again early and everyone feels lousy again.

Reply #177
I understand your point, but every rule has its exceptions. I tend to agree with Thry. I'd rather he breaks down this season, and that way we can plan over the pre season accordingly. There would be nothing worse IMO that a massive build up over the summer, lots of hype, hope, expectation etc., then he breaks down again early and everyone feels lousy again.
I'll contrast this Charlie rumour, with Melbourne Storm, Craig Bellamy and Ryan Papenhuyzen, was never rushed, they were under enormous pressure to bring him back week after week, and when he did come back they ran him for a half off the bench. But in NRL they have that opportunity.

If guys like Charlie can't be risked at VFL, perhaps the AFL does need to change the bench and sub rules as is rumoured to be under consideration for 2022. I'd have no problem with Charlie coming straight in if AFL had Interchange ++ Substitutes.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #178
Thanks Carlton... For paying the bills for the media vultures.   Twenty ****ing years Carlton,  thanks.   Hearing Whately giggling and laughing with Cornes today, we're a sick joke.

I like Teague,  but this group of players have done him no service.  I hope some of them follow him out the door,  they deserve it.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #179
One difference Judd found when he got here. At West Coast the general conversation about the players was about how they can get better and chart their course to the flag. At Carlton he found it so different. All their interest was centred around the next contract. There a culture difference right there.

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2016/april/1459429200/martin-mckenzie-murray/west-coast-boys-done-bad#mtr

"At Carlton, Judd was surrounded by mediocrity, and this appears to have aggravated him much more than the fierce self-destruction of his previous mob.

'If you’re driven to win premierships and gain all that comes with them – the sense of achievement, the lifelong friendships, the lasting memories – you will give almost anything. This was how it was at West Coast. We had a formalised vision of how we would prepare for and play the game, but beyond that, between the lines, we could sense strongly the idea of a football career that would live with us long after we had hung up our boots … When I arrived at Carlton, I experienced nothing like this.' "

http://www.injoewetrust.com.au/2015/10/25/10-take-aways-from-chris-judds-autobiography/

"Judd recounted the culture difference between West Coast and Carlton; and was blown away by the difference. He said at West Coast they expected to win and everyone trained accordingly, they were disciplined and all trained hard with the intent of winning a premiership. Conversely at Carlton (Wooden spooners) the players were simply hoping not to lose by too large a margin. Lesson-You get what you expect and deserve and train accordingly. At Carlton players were playing for a contract next year, not playing to win a premiership! Year upon year of finishing on the bottom has a much more destructive effect on culture than a handful of high draft picks could ever repair!"