Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 19: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 14563 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 19: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #136
Just watched the game again. Talk about no defensive IQ; talk about no respect for the defensive aspect of the game. It was as if we turned back the clock to pre bye performances... the old one-way thinking and strategy - only offense matters.

Taking Kennedy out of the midfield was a huge mistake. He's been the bull in there since the bye. Should have looked at other options to support the forward line.

Agree with that Baggers.
I thought we looked like we did early in the season. When we leaked 4 or more goals in a q and had no ability to stop the flow.
At that stage, we questioned fitness and players being played out of position.

After the bye and the announcement of the review we saw a bit of progress. Solid VFL form was rewarded, our defence was reviewed, and players were played in position.

Injuries continued, importantly including ruck and tall fwd options. We were vulnerable having a young ruckman returning from injury as our only option, and H. SOS's efforts to provide some cover was admirable but not sustainable.

The difference this week, aside from it being our achilles heel oppo, was the loss of H. The structural challenge, lack of depth, in-game injuries, as it transpired, was insurmountable. I can't imagine a coach having too many levers to pull at that stage.

That said. I acknowledge there may be issues in various areas of the club, from recruitment/appointment onwards. I also believe we need to drive selection standards and provide game day coaching support. 

It's been underwhelming being a Carlton supporter for a long time. We too have to decide whether to stay the course or take up origami.

Enjoy watching the Olympics Bluebaggers
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #137
Summation.

We have a coach who's a nice guy, but way too soft/forgiving.

(without even looking at his ability to plan/strategize how to defeat an opponent)

Teague must go. He's not going to get us to finals, let alone a flag.

What would be the point. Different coach, same effort and result. Maybe a sugar hit year one but eventually the same result. You're not fixing the root of the issue. Win/loss he has the 2nd best record here this century. Unfortunately he is battling an awful culture, something that has killed many coaches. Previous to that we had won 4 of the previous 43, 100pt defeats, including one where we were outscored in a qtr 7 goals to 1 with a side that often had 16 men on the ground. So it was a low base to start with. Then we needed the coach changed but the tough part after was changing that culture, something that hasn't been done in 20 years.

Reply #138
Agree with that Baggers.
I thought we looked like we did early in the season. When we leaked 4 or more goals in a q and had no ability to stop the flow.
At that stage, we questioned fitness and players being played out of position.

After the bye and the announcement of the review we saw a bit of progress. Solid VFL form was rewarded, our defence was reviewed, and players were played in position.

Injuries continued, importantly including ruck and tall fwd options. We were vulnerable having a young ruckman returning from injury as our only option, and H. SOS's efforts to provide some cover was admirable but not sustainable.

The difference this week, aside from it being our achilles heel oppo, was the loss of H. The structural challenge, lack of depth, in-game injuries, as it transpired, was insurmountable. I can't imagine a coach having too many levers to pull at that stage.

That said. I acknowledge there may be issues in various areas of the club, from recruitment/appointment onwards. I also believe we need to drive selection standards and provide game day coaching support. 

It's been underwhelming being a Carlton supporter for a long time. We too have to decide whether to stay the course or take up origami.

Enjoy watching the Olympics Bluebaggers

I'm lucky in that regard that I have seen 8 flags and some all time great sides. Must be tough being a younger Carlton supporter.

Reply #139
Totally agree.

Sadly, this year has shown, IMHO, that The TT is a very limited, even one-dimensional, coach which really limits / inhibits creativity and initiative and change. He just hasn't stepped up to being a leader... and we're pretty bereft of leadership as it is.

Teague would need as many dimensions as current string theory to be able to deal with the instability, unprofessionalism, heat etc. coming from the club, media, certain fans etc.

Reply #140
Don’t know what all the suprise doom and gloom is about, we had no key forwards against Tarrant and McKay who held out the West Coast forward line in Perth recently, trying to use Cripps or Kennedy as forwards was only robbing Peter to pay Paul admittedly delivery wasn’t very good but the blokes who have been clearing the way for Walsh etc to deliver we’re standing in the forward line waiting for it. TDK was given a lesson by a bloke who has been one of the best ruckman in the league for nearly 10 he’s crafty,strong and a great tap ruck and has toweled up many a athletic opponent in his time. He tapped it to Cunnington on of the real good clearance mid fielders and a bull. Our bull was trying to play full forward. Larkey had a day out but is a good developing FF who enjoyed having Cunnington and Anderson kicking it to him.
They were able to play a game style they have been building and started to do well with chalking up a victory over the Eagles in Perth and a draw against Giants.   We were trying to play a game foreign to us and held on in the first half but then the wheels fell off and we completely lost our way.  No team can absorb the injuries we had for this game especially to key forwards one or two of McKay Charlie Gov Casboult even McDonald would have helped Pittonet or Casboult and TDK rucking allowing Silvagni to be #3 tall forward and moving Cripps and Kennedy back to the midfield..
As for Murphy those on here sh…tcanning him have short memories of someone who has served this club with distinction through some bloody tough years hoping we would improve enough for a flag shot in time for him to be part of it not p..ssing off to Geelong only to be let down by those in the background recruiting poorly and appointing coaches. One who tore our heart out by selfishness then one who took us back to square one starting over. He stuck around to give some experience it would be an honour to have him as a 300 game Carlton player and he deserves to be given those games that is how you build club culture. It’s hard enough to play one game but someone like Murphy has played nearly 300 and doesn’t deserve to be criticised by losers on here who haven’t had the talent or guts to play 1

Great post Tommy. I tip my hat to you.

Reply #141
'Injuries are no excuse' is a bit of a cliche that's thrown around.
If you think about it that makes absolutely no sense at all.
Injuries are an excuse, as well as a reason.
They destroy your structures and plans and throw an extra burden and responsibility on the players remaining.
They result in players being played in unfamiliar roles that sometimes don't suit them at all (Silvagni in the ruck, Cripps at FF).
Injuries to key personnel during the game can be extremely disruptive as there is usually no immediate fix for them.
Injuries have been responsible for the demise of at least two of our coaches over the last twenty years and may be about to claim a third.

Earlier in the season there was this theory floating that once we got some players back from injury we'd be in much better shape.
But you really didn't have to be Nostradamus to realise that a more likely scenario would be that we would see further significant injuries, some season ending.
Added to that with the extra burden placed on players, we were always going to see more of the niggly one or two week injuries and players carrying injuries into and through games.

Reply #142
Nice post Lods. it as as you say, a bit of a cliche, but IMO also involves a small amount of psychological trickery, since if the players are aware that there is a reduced chance of winning because of injury, the temptation is there to drop off ever so slightly, knowing that if you don't win, you have an "excuse" ready to go. It's also a good and necessary statement for the fans. But i don't think it really works. The players know injuries make a difference, we know it makes a difference, the coaches know - I think it just sets up a kind of cognitive dissonance in everyone's mind.

Reply #143
Baggers assuming your comments are based on our performance this year, I ask is Teaguey limited or do we overrate many on our list?

I suspect it is plenty of both.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #144
Injuries no doubt can impact the result of a game but shouldn’t the players who are sent out to represent a club always try their darnedest by putting in 100% effort? Surely they would at least want to try a keep their spots in the face of injured players coming back in when fit? Any player who is not prepared to do that would perhaps justifiably be regarded as having an air of entitlement? Or perhaps some feel that it doesn’t matter how hard they try their efforts aren’t always fully appreciated?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #145
Don’t know what all the suprise doom and gloom is about, we had no key forwards against Tarrant and McKay who held out the West Coast forward line in Perth recently, trying to use Cripps or Kennedy as forwards was only robbing Peter to pay Paul admittedly delivery wasn’t very good but the blokes who have been clearing the way for Walsh etc to deliver we’re standing in the forward line waiting for it. TDK was given a lesson by a bloke who has been one of the best ruckman in the league for nearly 10 he’s crafty,strong and a great tap ruck and has toweled up many a athletic opponent in his time. He tapped it to Cunnington on of the real good clearance mid fielders and a bull. Our bull was trying to play full forward. Larkey had a day out but is a good developing FF who enjoyed having Cunnington and Anderson kicking it to him.
They were able to play a game style they have been building and started to do well with chalking up a victory over the Eagles in Perth and a draw against Giants.   We were trying to play a game foreign to us and held on in the first half but then the wheels fell off and we completely lost our way.  No team can absorb the injuries we had for this game especially to key forwards one or two of McKay Charlie Gov Casboult even McDonald would have helped Pittonet or Casboult and TDK rucking allowing Silvagni to be #3 tall forward and moving Cripps and Kennedy back to the midfield..
As for Murphy those on here sh…tcanning him have short memories of someone who has served this club with distinction through some bloody tough years hoping we would improve enough for a flag shot in time for him to be part of it not p..ssing off to Geelong only to be let down by those in the background recruiting poorly and appointing coaches. One who tore our heart out by selfishness then one who took us back to square one starting over. He stuck around to give some experience it would be an honour to have him as a 300 game Carlton player and he deserves to be given those games that is how you build club culture. It’s hard enough to play one game but someone like Murphy has played nearly 300 and doesn’t deserve to be criticised by losers on here who haven’t had the talent or guts to play 1

Excellent Post.

Thanks Tommy.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #146
Injuries no doubt can impact the result of a game but shouldn’t the players who are sent out to represent a club always try their darnedest by putting in 100% effort? Surely they would at least want to try a keep their spots in the face of injured players coming back in when fit? Any player who is not prepared to do that would perhaps justifiably be regarded as having an air of entitlement? Or perhaps some feel that it doesn’t matter how hard they try their efforts aren’t always fully appreciated?

Certainly effort and attitude are big factors but it's part of a bigger picture.
If extra demands are put on a playing group because of injury then some will buckle under the weight sooner or later. As that happens the greater demands shift to other, stronger players who are also eventually worn down until like a dam it collapses.
There's no one real reason for a performance like yesterday. It's a combination of a lot of variables.
Effort and attitude is one, injury another.

Reply #147
Certainly effort and attitude are big factors but it's part of a bigger picture.
If extra demands are put on a playing group because of injury then some will buckle under the weight sooner or later. As that happens the greater demands shift to other, stronger players who are also eventually worn down until like a dam it collapses.
There's no one real reason for a performance like yesterday. It's a combination of a lot of variables.
Effort and attitude is one, injury another.

Maybe we need more of the later-buckling types.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #148
Nice post Lods. it as as you say, a bit of a cliche, but IMO also involves a small amount of psychological trickery, since if the players are aware that there is a reduced chance of winning because of injury, the temptation is there to drop off ever so slightly, knowing that if you don't win, you have an "excuse" ready to go. It's also a good and necessary statement for the fans. But i don't think it really works. The players know injuries make a difference, we know it makes a difference, the coaches know - I think it just sets up a kind of cognitive dissonance in everyone's mind.

Nice post Paul
A good segway into the mental attributes of individuals (i.e. mental toughness), which is shown to provide an edge. Other factors being equal (talent, fitness, deveopment, leadership, cohesion, game plan, resources...) it can be the final piece of the success puzzle. Those with high mental toughness tend to perform consistently in the face of everyday challenges and adversity. It's also an attribute that can be assessed and developed. Not the panacea in sport, but definitely a contributor to success.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #149
As for Murphy those on here sh…tcanning him have short memories of someone who has served this club with distinction through some bloody tough years...He stuck around to give some experience it would be an honour to have him as a 300 game Carlton player and he deserves to be given those games that is how you build club culture. It’s hard enough to play one game but someone like Murphy has played nearly 300 and doesn’t deserve to be criticised by losers on here who haven’t had the talent or guts to play 1
My God! Talk about rewriting history. He is part of the issue we are where we are. His contribution, especially over the past 3-4 yeas have been nothing short of deplorable for a supposed "senior" player.

He is the quintessential definition of a player that if things aren't going his way he offers nothing to turn the tide. Just accepts the outcome and meanders around the field with faux efforts. His tackling is simply another level of ineptness that needs to be seen to be believed as to how bad it actually is...

Don't come on here and say everyone who calls him on it that they don't appreciate his contribution. We do, it's just his contribution is so bad it's not even VFA levels and so we call him on it.

If he did play the levels you claim he does do you think anyone would say anything?.... Yeah, didn't think so....
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...