Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Pandemonium!: AFL 2020 Rd 17: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 10693 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Pandemonium!: AFL 2020 Rd 17: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #45
Pricks will likely go win next week. That might piss us off even more.

Losing when we choked it up was bad enough but less of a concern because we worked hard to pt ourselves in the right position. Frustrating but that's the life of a developing side. When they just don't turn up to play and give half an effort until it's too late that is an issue.

We ended up as we expected but got there is pretty bizarre ways. In the end what we would've taken at the start of the year turned out disappointing as it could've been so much better, due the issues between the lugholes.

In the end Melbourne, GWS and us were similar. Given chances and wasted them.
GWS have the talent but lack the ruthless streak and I put it down to the coaching, they should be top 4, why they re-signed Leon Cameron I dont know....

Reply #46
I guess for me the concern is this....
We're probably finishing about where many of us expected.
That's fine....
But we seem to be finishing the season with a bit of a 'whimper' rather than a 'bang'
It would be nice to go into the off-season with 'momentum" rather than 'question marks.'

I disagree.

We had that last year and what did it give us?

I reckon we are better off this way.
We had a good year, but complacency cost us a spot in the finals. This is what happens when you slack off. We need a big off-season to take the next step.

We need the fire in the belly. We need the hurt. We need to realise its not just going to happen for us.
A good, happy ending can mask that.

Reply #47
GWS have the talent but lack the ruthless streak and I put it down to the coaching, they should be top 4, why they re-signed Leon Cameron I dont know....

I couldn't believed they re-signed him. This is a side that should be near on top of the ladder not missing the finals.

Maybe he'll be like Bomber and Hardwick, have that one bad year before winning a flag. Not sure though as he should've by now with that talent.

Reply #48
Essentially culture, mental attitude and belief.

... and too many supposed line coaches when the one we need is a scruff of the neck leader who tells it like it is. 

Reply #49
I had to watch the game again, just to be sure. What a mess. No Mr Teague you didn't let down the supporters today, you let down yourselves... time for the entire coaching group to stand in front of the full length mirrors.

Mssrs LoGuidice and Liddle had better take note of that knock on the door - it's reality. The senior coach and others can talk up the season all they like, the results and the performances speak far louder. We're brittle. We are completely unable to do the very basics -- esp disposal -- well, under any and all circumstances. The only thing we are any good at, at present, is fighting back... and then only to a degree. And beating the Dishlickers. Totally insecure in being pro active, and maintaining it.

To the same degree that we could have won a couple of close ones we could also, easily, have lost a couple of close ones and find ourselves about 15th or worse. Fragile between the lugholes, way too undisciplined, too indecisive, poor leadership. No mental toughness bar a few players... very few.

The good: Walsh & Weitering, they should be skippers. Their efforts are unconditional.

The bad: Mentality. The club has been talking all year about our inability to play 4 qtrs... how observant. News flash, whatever you're doing about it aint fckn working, do you realise that? Do you realise this is a major issue and has been for years? Do you realise the problem may lie with those within the coaching group? The game plan? The communication, ie, the players don't get it? Is there 360 feedback within the coaching group? For the problem to be identified and then for it to perpetuate says we must have some flaky dimwits with the coaching group... that is the only conclusion that makes sense as it's same old, same old, week after week, month after month, win, lose or draw.

Bringing out of form players into the side... specifically, McGovern and Cuningham this week. Yes, they both got possessions once the Crows tired but when they were needed most, early, tumbleweeds and crickets. ALL places in the side MUST be earned. There's a softness (sentimentality?) in our MC that is costing us confidence. NO MORE FAVOURITES, MR TEAGUE, or whoever is conning you into playing blokes who shouldn't be played.

So little tenacity. So little ruthlessness. So few of our blokes are uncompromising. How many jogged to the next contest today. How many gave up chases early? That's about leadership, discipline and direction, on and off the field.

The Ugly: Our disposal. That we really can only get on top of opponents when they relax or are in poor form, and then only for a while. A totally reactive side - a solid 10-16th yearly.

I don't agree that Simmo and Edwardo should be retired... if you didn't know their ages you'd see that both did their jobs today. Sheesh, at one stage Simmo had more metres gained than any other CFC bloke. Edwardo was desperate in the contest with pressure and energy - but had p1ss poor support.

In a difficult season with abnormal pressures the mentally weakest will fold soonest... the mentally strongest will likely win the flag.

Solution thoughts: change whatever we're doing re mental attitude, it is clearly NOT working. There's enough talent on our list to be doing far better than this, just seems to me they are being poorly or inadequately developed and trained. We hear that fckn word 'growth' all the damn time, yet we do not see it. So... get some hard edged assistant coaches, from successful environments who've a history of uncompromising excellence.

Hate to say it but I won't be getting my membership for next year early as I have done for decades. I'm going to wait to well into next season... more of the same, basic support no game membership, palpable improvement... then the wallet opens far wider.

I am off the TT. He's got next year to prove himself. More of the same... FO. So you'd better get some real performers in the coaching team.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #50
I had to watch the game again, just to be sure.

Be sure of what?

Surely there is something better you to be doing

Reply #51
We're brittle. We are completely unable to do the very basics -- esp disposal -- well, under any and all circumstances.
This is my biggest worry, to me it seems that we've been unable to improve our disposal for more than a decade now. I just do not get it from guys who get to this level unable to execute basic kicks.

I get the under-physical pressure stuff but that is not the problem. We have blokes often in the clear by 20m regularly missing 40m targets by 5m or 10m, which might not do harm if a team-mate cleans up but it nearly always allows the opposition extra time to get setup!

I also do not get full-time AFL players regularly hand-balling behind a passing team-mates, we do it so so often!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
I had to watch the game again, just to be sure. What a mess. No Mr Teague you didn't let down the supporters today, you let down yourselves... time for the entire coaching group to stand in front of the full length mirrors.

Mssrs LoGuidice and Liddle had better take note of that knock on the door - it's reality. The senior coach and others can talk up the season all they like, the results and the performances speak far louder. We're brittle. We are completely unable to do the very basics -- esp disposal -- well, under any and all circumstances. The only thing we are any good at, at present, is fighting back... and then only to a degree. And beating the Dishlickers. Totally insecure in being pro active, and maintaining it.

To the same degree that we could have won a couple of close ones we could also, easily, have lost a couple of close ones and find ourselves about 15th or worse. Fragile between the lugholes, way too undisciplined, too indecisive, poor leadership. No mental toughness bar a few players... very few.

The good: Walsh & Weitering, they should be skippers. Their efforts are unconditional.

The bad: Mentality. The club has been talking all year about our inability to play 4 qtrs... how observant. News flash, whatever you're doing about it aint fckn working, do you realise that? Do you realise this is a major issue and has been for years? Do you realise the problem may lie with those within the coaching group? The game plan? The communication, ie, the players don't get it? Is there 360 feedback within the coaching group? For the problem to be identified and then for it to perpetuate says we must have some flaky dimwits with the coaching group... that is the only conclusion that makes sense as it's same old, same old, week after week, month after month, win, lose or draw.

Bringing out of form players into the side... specifically, McGovern and Cuningham this week. Yes, they both got possessions once the Crows tired but when they were needed most, early, tumbleweeds and crickets. ALL places in the side MUST be earned. There's a softness (sentimentality?) in our MC that is costing us confidence. NO MORE FAVOURITES, MR TEAGUE, or whoever is conning you into playing blokes who shouldn't be played.

So little tenacity. So little ruthlessness. So few of our blokes are uncompromising. How many jogged to the next contest today. How many gave up chases early? That's about leadership, discipline and direction, on and off the field.

The Ugly: Our disposal. That we really can only get on top of opponents when they relax or are in poor form, and then only for a while. A totally reactive side - a solid 10-16th yearly.

I don't agree that Simmo and Edwardo should be retired... if you didn't know their ages you'd see that both did their jobs today. Sheesh, at one stage Simmo had more metres gained than any other CFC bloke. Edwardo was desperate in the contest with pressure and energy - but had p1ss poor support.

In a difficult season with abnormal pressures the mentally weakest will fold soonest... the mentally strongest will likely win the flag.

Solution thoughts: change whatever we're doing re mental attitude, it is clearly NOT working. There's enough talent on our list to be doing far better than this, just seems to me they are being poorly or inadequately developed and trained. We hear that fckn word 'growth' all the damn time, yet we do not see it. So... get some hard edged assistant coaches, from successful environments who've a history of uncompromising excellence.

Hate to say it but I won't be getting my membership for next year early as I have done for decades. I'm going to wait to well into next season... more of the same, basic support no game membership, palpable improvement... then the wallet opens far wider.

I am off the TT. He's got next year to prove himself. More of the same... FO. So you'd better get some real performers in the coaching team.
Ill save myself the typing and just say x2
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #53
Be sure of what?

Mate you're on fire! Do you write these yourself? So original and thought provoking! I hang on every word.

Normally, I so look forward to scrolling past your contributions, but today you've out done yourself and everyone on the site must surely be salivating in anticipation of your next insight...  ::)
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #54
Be sure of what?

Like last week, I had to turn it off after they kicked their 6th, too frustrating and too hard to watch.
As I have said before, sack Cameron Bruce tonight, our fwd line is talented but shambolic and has no method or structure. He is the fwd line coach, he must be sacked tonight. Find a new fwd line coach pronto.
Smashed in the ruck, smashed at the coal face, smashed by a side that nothing to play for. Terrible at the selection table, just went horribly wrong when everything was on line. Typical, consistently inconsistent.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #55
This is my biggest worry, to me it seems that we've been unable to improve our disposal for more than a decade now. I just do not get it from guys who get to this level unable to execute basic kicks.

I get the under-physical pressure stuff but that is not the problem. We have blokes often in the clear by 20m regularly missing 40m targets by 5m or 10m, which might not do harm if a team-mate cleans up but it nearly always allows the opposition extra time to get setup!

I also do not get full-time AFL players regularly hand-balling behind a passing team-mates, we do it so so often!

If the players commit themselves fully to the task you watch how everything else improves. We don't switch on properly so this is what happens.

Reply #56
Like last week, I had to turn it off after they kicked their 6th, too frustrating and too hard to watch.
As I have said before, sack Cameron Bruce tonight, our fwd line is talented but shambolic and has no method or structure. He is the fwd line coach, he must be sacked tonight. Find a new fwd line coach pronto.
Smashed in the ruck, smashed at the coal face, smashed by a side that nothing to play for. Terrible at the selection table, just went horribly wrong when everything was on line. Typical, consistently inconsistent.
You can add Barker to Bruce, another link to a failed past and our midfield setup today was smashed off the park. How we start is a reflection of where the game starts and we are always chasing ar$e after a glut of poor starts and Barker should be moved on.

Reply #57

13-14 is much better than 4-40. There are many aspects we have improved. Coaching has been ok. we can't be expecting miracles. we were actually in the season to round 17, alot better than discussing the no.1 pick. Culture change is huge, that was Teague's mountain he was left with after 20 years, bar a few, of that crap, and easy to slip back into, which we did a few too many times. That doesn't always change in a season. Hardwick took years. We fought just about every game out, which was something alot better but too many times we slipped back to old habits at the start or during games.

With that change eventually comes a tipping point. We needed the leaders to come out and say, "that's not good enough" and make everyone accountable. Making it come from within the group itself. That's what happened in 2007 when Geelong had failed the year before. After starting 2-3 Paul Chapman spat it and told the playing group, in no uncertain terms, that it wasn't good enough. Lost one more for the year and won the flag by 119pts. Haven't looked back. Think there was something similar in 1995. we lost a practice match to Essendon by over 100pts after an inglorious finish to 1994. Leaders took control and said enough was enough, with the result there for all to see. Sometimes a coach can only push it so many times and it has to come from within.

Who's our leader that's going to stand up and say "@#$%&! this"?

We're in about the same position after the first year with Ratten but got cut short before he could sort our culture further. Teague needs a further step and properly crack the poor culture. Remember too Teague has been very limited this year. He has mostly been able to train with just 8 at a time. Not alot of connect happening there. That favors the more established sides with entrenched, natural game styles.

Reply #58
Mate you're on fire! Do you write these yourself? So original and thought provoking! I hang on every word.

Normally, I so look forward to scrolling past your contributions, but today you've out done yourself and everyone on the site must surely be salivating in anticipation of your next insight...  ::)

...and thats strike 3.
You're out.

3 completely misunderstood posts.
3 completely inane responses highlighting nothing more than you inability to comprehend basic communications.

All of your responses are nothing but inane ramblings repeated ad nauseum.
You do little apart from attack posters, personally.
Or attack players you have a beef what.....with little evidence backing it up.

What starting this beef nobody cares to wonder about.
Why you continue this beef, nobody wastes time thinking about.
People are bored with your repetition and bored with your stock standard BS comments.

You offer zero insight.
You offer zero facts.
You offer zero entertainment value.
You offer zero.

You are a one-note joke that was never funny to begin with.
Learn a different tune.

You look at posts in isolation and fill in the blanks. Completely ignoring pages and pages of discussion, context and facts.
It does nothing other than make you look silly, ignorant and uninformed.

If you dialled back your spannerisms, you might find some common ground with people. Instead your constant grandstanding and backpatting leaves you all alone on spanner island.

Give me something!

Reply #59
You can add Barker to Bruce, another link to a failed past and our midfield setup today was smashed off the park. How we start is a reflection of where the game starts and we are always chasing ar$e after a glut of poor starts and Barker should be moved on.

We lacked that connect between mids and forward coaches, which Teague has lamented all year. It was the same when Teague was forward coach. Being able to train only with 8 at a times, and with a lot less sessions certainly hasn't helped. You don't even get the chance to try to practice connecting.