Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Permutations: AFL 2020 R1 Carlton vs Richmond (Read 13156 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Permutations: AFL 2020 R1 Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #30
I'm starting to lean towards what IBWT is thinking.....the "rebuild", at least phase one,  looks like being less than successful,  and phase two will involve sifting through the list and bringing in another big group of kids.   Let's be honest,  there's a lot of blokes who have been there 4-5 years and done F-all.

We've held onto the likes of MacCreadie,  March bank, Polson,  Cunningham ET AL for a long time without tangible improvement.   I reckon there will be a big clean out and "mid rebuild partial reset" at the end of 2020.

Surely after 4-5 years we should know if some kid is going to be elite.   Otherwise,  why persist with them?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #31
the boys had a spirited finish to 2019 after Bolts was sacked, and then had their tyres pumped up during pre-season, as happens pretty much everywhere.  got a bit cocky and were pretty much smashed by Freo over there, and went hang on, we better pull our fingers out, so they do against the Lions in the first half, and then go back to sleep.

here's my pre round 1 wish.

the boys have been stung by some pretty cutting (and accurate) commentary on the telly and in the media.  they need to attack round 1 like they did round 12 last year, and play like their season depends on it.  they do that and we'll give the tigers a shake.  unlikely we'll win, simply coz it's unlikely most teams can beat the tigers at the moment.  but they gotta show some heart and play to the level of commitment that will win them games against lesser clubs than the tigers. not expecting miracles, just a red hot dip, and a red hot dip does deliver the odd miracle...

Reply #32
Professor E.....might've covered this before in other threads but look back at our draft hauls since 2014 (but excluding 2019 as we won't know on that one for a while and excluding rookie/PSD etc):

2014  Boekhurst, Vojo-Rainbow, Smith, Foster
2015  Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Cunningham, J. Silvagni
2016  SPS, Fisher, Macreadie, Polson, Williamson, Kerr
2017  Dow, O'Brien, TDK, Schumacher, J. Garlett
2018  Walsh, Stocker, O'Dwyer, B. Silvagni

2014 was the one that absolutely put us back about 3 years! Those blokes should be coming into their prime into their 5th season. And we gave up pick 7 go get Whiley and Jacksch from GWS and pick 19 or thereabouts which we blew on Boekhurst.

2015 on paper was the winner but only two of those will play Round 1 this year. McKay, Curnow and Cunningham seem to be always injured. I'd argue Silvagni was a good get in hindsight.

For the other years, you can give Walsh the biggest tick of all but of the rest, have any come on like we'd hope and expect?

There's a school of thought that we should have Kennedy playing as a marking forward. He was recruited to be the big bodied midfielder to give Cripps a hand and now we're trying to fashion in into something he isn't? He might have to play that role as a forward without Curnow and Cunningham but his form in the first pre-season game doesn't warrant a spot in the 22 IMO.

On top of the draft picks we've bought in guys like Marchbank, Plowman etc from GWS and Plowman has been okay but Marchbank can't stay out there.

Anything less than significant improvement from the blokes in the 2015-2017 drafts this season will see us having another big cull come seasons end.

Reply #33
Pretty boring here at work. I've got a bit of time on my hands so what follows is a rather lengthy rundown of the team I would play.

BP : Plowman. If fit has to get the gig. Didn't think he was doing that badly on Cameron, but after Charlie got going noone was good enough to stop him. Certainly not Polson? Let's face it he gets a game.

FB : Jones. Has played on and beaten Reiwoldt on previous occasions and don't see that changing.

BP : Simpson. Really, really struggling with this bloke. I have always loved him but I really think he may have gone one year too long. Very hesitantly picked him here.

HB : SPS. Played reasonable well in the bullants game for 3 quarters apparently so I see him coming straight back in.

CHB : Weitering. Think Lynch will play at CHF so Weiters form has been good enough to have first crack.

HB : Docherty. No brainer. Even as rusty as he is, his output is generally better than most and he can only get better.

W : Walsh. Jet. 100% lock.

C : Cripps. Who else.

W : Dow. Was pleasantly surprised by his output on Sunday. Took a few chances and showed a bit. I think we need to build on his confidence by selecting him and playing him on the ground. It may be the tonic he needs

HF : Newnes. Shows some toe but seriously are we a magnet for butchers of the ball? Still gives us some extra run.

CHF : Levi. Not much else in the tank and this bloke has done enough to get a run. Obviously he is also the Kreuzer backup so as long as Kreuz doesn't go to CHF when they change should work well. (Kreuzer, bench McGovern CHF)

HF : Martin. Certainly has done enough to warrant selection and I look forward to him responding to the massive crowd and atmosphere.

FP : Eddie : The old master should be good for a couple and obviously will be a crowd puller just by being there. That is, if they actually let the crowd in!

FF : De Koning : This kid gives a %100 each time he plays and without Rance they'll have to use some good to counter his height. I think he could be the surprise packet of the round. Really impresses me.

FP : Silvagni : Deserves a place in the side and maybe with De Koning taking the heat, maybe Jack doesn't have to compete against 2-3?

RU : Kreuzer. Thought long and hard over this one, but I'm going to take a punt and play the big fella as terrible as he was on Sunday. He gets credits for the amount of times he's carried us.

RR : Curnow. Likely get's the Martin tag. Can go with him but the strength of Martin is the concern.

RO : Murphy. things improved markedly when smurph went onto the ball post Bolton last year, so I'm hoping this will continue. Who knows

INT1 : McGovern. I wouldn't pick him but they have invested so much time and money on this bloke, they can't leave him out just yet. Also he's the logical choice to come on when Kreuzer rests.

INT2 : Williamson. Read the bullant's match report and that was enough for me. Get him in. Mr Utility.

INT3 : Setterfield. Servicable soldier.

INT4 : Newman (for Plowman if he doesn't get up) OR Gibbons,

Reply #34
Firstly thank you to those CSC members who regularly attend Northern Blues matches, practice games etc and then take the trouble to provide us with well considered reports/analysis of the various Carlton players. Always great to hear a "non club" view of how some of these guys are progressing.

Back to the Richmond game and our lack of key forwards. If I remember correctly, Tom DeKonning kicked something like 11 goals in a U18 match, presumably playing at full forward. It would be interesting to see how he would go there against Richmond. Perhaps given the instruction to stay close to the goal square and if he can't mark to knock it down to Eddies & Co.               Some years ago (before most of your time  ;)  ) John Nichols played a simmilar role against the Tigers and we went on to win the premiership. Would have been about 1972 or 1973, I was in NZ at the time. Anyway so much for nostalgia, but we haven't much to lose playing the reigning premiers, so why not try the unconventional.

cheers for now
Adelaideblue

Reply #35
ps. Yes I know.......the game has changed so much since the 1970's !   hmm...Perhaps in some ways not as much as we think, as backmen will still panic if the ball starts coming down there enough. Also Tom D K might worry a few with his height and reach.

Ab

Reply #36
Would have been about 1972 or 1973

Definitely 1972.  In 1973, Fowler cleaned up NIck which was the cue for Balme and McLean to run amok without anyone from us to 'enforce.' 

Reply #37
Definitely 1972.  In 1973, Fowler cleaned up NIck which was the cue for Balme and McLean to run amok without anyone from us to 'enforce.' 

Yep, '72. Stroke of coaching genius from Big Nick. I remember it well... Tiggers had the better of us for years so BN parked himself at FF and rucked Percy for the day - threw Hafey out of kilter and the Tiggers had no answer to Big Nick and his indomitable presence at FF. The first half was unbelievable. We'd never seen so many goals in a half of GF footy.

Sadly, the Tiggers got their revenge in '73.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #38
I agree with this but the point I’m trying to make is should we be in the position we find ourself in that in year 5 of a rebuild so much of our year depends on these kids taking a big leap.

Looks a lopsided list rather then a balanced one imo.

This debate has been had many a time.

In summary it goes something like this.

Ideally we would've like to have recruited a few a-graders along the way, but alas, nobody wanted to come.
So we did our best to maximise our draft picks.
Yes, we have too many kids, but its better than trading those picks for hacks from other clubs just because they are older.

So it's essentially plan b that we've gone with due to an inhability to get a-graders via trade/FA.

Reply #39
GI2C......
Where did you get your magnet board from??

Reply #41
GI2C......
Where did you get your magnet board from??
I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.
At your service Sir

http://jimmae.rf.gd/teamboard.html?i=2
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #42
Yep, '72. Stroke of coaching genius from Big Nick. I remember it well... Tiggers had the better of us for years so BN parked himself at FF and rucked Percy for the day - threw Hafey out of kilter and the Tiggers had no answer to Big Nick and his indomitable presence at FF. The first half was unbelievable. We'd never seen so many goals in a half of GF footy.

Sadly, the Tiggers got their revenge in '73.

Richmond 's Ray Boyanich played on Nicholls .... Nick destroyed him.  They lost the game right there.  Watched him too closely and Walls had a free run.  Mayhem and I LOVED it.

Reply #44
Cheers.

I used to use this for years, but then he changed addresses and despite searching for it, i could never find it again.

Thanks.
Pays to hang out on other forums
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time