Skip to main content
Topic: New Government for Vic (Read 18400 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Government for Vic

Reply #30
Re the potential voiding of the east/west link by labor.

I heard that there was some rediculous multi-million dollar payout required IF the project was cancelled. I've heard anywhere up to half a BILLION dollars.....for doing nothing. Simply cancelling the construction.
So that will ease the pressure from the CFMEU on Andrews....they'll get their money either way.

I suspect they will cancel the tunnel and offer other priority projects to smooth the way, like rebuilding 50 level crossings.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
Try driving anywhere through Melb at lunch on Xmas day and its a sublime experience, other than that I never want to go there at all.

Not down on the Peninsula BB, down there it's a nightmare, anyone who has tried to head south on the Frankston Freeway on Christmas Day can testify

I go the other way LP.  ;)

Reply #32
When questioned about scrapping the EW today Andrews said this....

"It is my view, very clearly, that a Labor government has a mandate to release all documentation in relation to the East West Link, a secretive, rushed and botched project," Mr Andrews said.
He said he was yet to speak to Mr Abbott, but when he did he would fight for Victoria.
"I will of course work with him, in a respectful and productive way because I am all about outcomes," he told reporters on Sunday.

Hardly a strong stance IMO that he will tear up the contracts. More like " we'll have a look at the contracts, talk with the PM and see what we can do." I think like EB said, it will go ahead but with some tweaking in an attempt to save face. 
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #33
Re the potential voiding of the east/west link by labor.

I heard that there was some rediculous multi-million dollar payout required IF the project was cancelled. I've heard anywhere up to half a BILLION dollars.....for doing nothing. Simply cancelling the construction.
So that will ease the pressure from the CFMEU on Andrews....they'll get their money either way.
The EW project will go ahead and Andrews CMFEU boys will rape and pillage it to within an inch of its life (just like the desal plant).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #34
Federal funding (or the potential denial of it) will play a big part in Dan's EW decision. Be interesting to see what happens.  ::)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #35
What is the point of  investing quadzillions of $$s into a road tunnel when one accident will turn it into gridlock?

The State Govt really needs to re-think our road infrastructure to make it easier to cope with peak hour accidents, bad weather, etc.

More and better public transport servicing the growth areas and regional Victoria wouldn't go astray either.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #36
I think DA will suggest he is re-funding TAFE's, to retrain all those car workers that lost their jobs and then give them jobs on the EW, that will be the plan released to the media.......the excuse being he will have to go ahead with EW to fix unemployment etc...happy workers, happy unions...job done.
Abbott wont have a choice but to keep his end of the bargain....his backbenchers will be real uneasy about Victoria after this Labour win and will want Abbott shoring up
some of those seats. Abbott could even claim all the kudos if he markets the Federal input correctly....

Reply #37
Just a point on the Federal funding for the tunnel.  It was originally allocated to Victoria to upgrade the rail network.  Abbott stopped the rail funding, then gave it back for the tunnel.

Andrews reckons he is going to ask Abbott to restore the funding for the rail network.  Abbott has made it clear that he doesn't consider rail funding to be important  ::)

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #38
What is the point of  investing quadzillions of $$s into a road tunnel when one accident will turn it into gridlock?

The State Govt really needs to re-think our road infrastructure to make it easier to cope with peak hour accidents, bad weather, etc.

More and better public transport servicing the growth areas and regional Victoria wouldn't go astray either.

With the increasing city population to ridiculous levels massive public transport and roads are both required including EW...

Reply #39

With the increasing city population to ridiculous levels massive public transport and roads are both required including EW...

I agree that we need new transport infrastructure but it has to be able to cope with bad weather and accidents.

Reply #40

I agree that we need new transport infrastructure but it has to be able to cope with bad weather and accidents.

You can't just build it all in one day. Trains are more susceptible to bad weather and breakdown anyway. Two weeks ago a train coming to a halt stopped everything for over an hour on my line and God help you if there's a storm or it's a hot day.

Reply #41
Should be mandatory for people to have an IQ test before being eligible to vote - if so, there'd be no Labor Party in existence. Thank fugg for the eastern suburbs.......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #42
Yep, the Liberal Party is the High IQ party.  Its contribution to the debate on climate change has been impressive.  You also have to admire the fantastic linguistic ability applied to the task of proving that a lie isn't a lie, although only the top 1 percentile of the population can see the beauty of those arguments or the many other rhetorical flourishes.

Reply #43
I love political threads. :D

I've always found a good guide for voter intelligence is someone who doesn't believe that either party has a "divine right to rule" and "the answer to all life's problems."

Someone who doesn't just look at "their"' perceptions of personalities and personal traits of leaders and key figures of a party in judging an ability to do a job.

Someone who understands that the key motivation for any of them is 'power' because without power you cant do anything but block and delay.

Someone who realises that most new governments will do most of their 'dirty' work in the first half of a term before softening an approach as the next election draws closer....so it's stupid to rate their chances half way through a term.

Someone who doesn't just look at a state result and transfer it nationally without giving thought to the different issues involved at each level.

Someone who understands that the best politicians, "right" and "left", are the ones who steer closest to the middle ground.

...and the most intelligent voters do the same. ;)

Reply #44
I hate the fact that we have to vote for one party and then cop the fact that we might have to accept broken promises.

I also hate the fact that a vote for Labor would mean that we have to accept them tearing up EW link. 

The Liberals lost this vote in one place.  The perceived effect of closing higher educational institutions that were required for the lower socio economic groups of society.  Higher education which Im confident not many Liberal voters would have agreed with.

At the end of the day, we are probably better off having cyclical turns at government anyway.  It keeps things balanced.  Too much of one thing is never a good thing.  The Liberals ruled the roost in Victoria for a fair whack of time back in the 90's and we have only had few terms of Labor since, so I think the party that we need in now won.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson