Skip to main content
Topic: New Government for Vic (Read 18432 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Government for Vic

Reply #45
I hate the fact that we have to vote for one party and then cop the fact that we might have to accept broken promises.

I also hate the fact that a vote for Labor would mean that we have to accept them tearing up EW link. 

The Liberals lost this vote in one place.  The perceived effect of closing higher educational institutions that were required for the lower socio economic groups of society.  Higher education which Im confident not many Liberal voters would have agreed with.

At the end of the day, we are probably better off having cyclical turns at government anyway.  It keeps things balanced.  Too much of one thing is never a good thing.  The Liberals ruled the roost in Victoria for a fair whack of time back in the 90's and we have only had few terms of Labor since, so I think the party that we need in now won.

Think you are forgetting the Ambo's, Firefighters and Nurses who Napthine treated with contempt.......patient ratio's are a disgrace and the Liberals did SFA on the matter.

Reply #46
[flash=400,300]https://www.youtube.com/v/mjLK9ug6MB4[/flash]
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #47
@EB1

Perhaps, but often these things are a political argument and less of an issue than they are made out to be.

I have seen hospitals close beds and wards based on agenda not about saving costs.  They could cut costs in other places first, it just becomes less of a political argument that way.

Working in public sector health, I think the focus needs to be shifted to doing better with what they have, rather than giving them more.  I have seen too much money wasted on initiatives that are reactive in order to be seen to doing something rather than focussing on actually achieving something.

Its true that the Liberals effectively treated the people with contempt.  A government that believes that the people should swallow what they want is doomed to be voted out.  Hence why Abbot is dead man walking.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #48
Andrew Robb suggested on the Insiders on Sunday that the libs knew they were going to be defeated for quite a while, why the hell did they sign the EW contracts when labor told them to hold off until after the election, absolute bloody disgrace and unbelievably deceitful, treating the public like lower class imbeciles, Napthine and his plebs are a disgrace

Reply #49
@EB1

Perhaps, but often these things are a political argument and less of an issue than they are made out to be.

I have seen hospitals close beds and wards based on agenda not about saving costs.  They could cut costs in other places first, it just becomes less of a political argument that way.

Working in public sector health, I think the focus needs to be shifted to doing better with what they have, rather than giving them more.  I have seen too much money wasted on initiatives that are reactive in order to be seen to doing something rather than focussing on actually achieving something.

Its true that the Liberals effectively treated the people with contempt.  A government that believes that the people should swallow what they want is doomed to be voted out.  Hence why Abbot is dead man walking.

My daughter is a  nurse at one of the major hospitals and people lives are at risk due to the poor patient ratio's and lack of funding........Nurses are cracking up on the job, doing drugs etc due to the poor conditions and being abused by management. You have imported nurses from overseas who are cheap/useless and prepared to cop these poor standards while the local properly qualified nurses have to run around and make the system work.....until they either quit or breakdown...Hospitals just cover up the mistakes and patients are suffering and even passing away due to lack of attention being paid to the health system.
Agree that Abbott is gone but i would expect after Labour's win in Victoria he will start spending and trying to buy some votes....

Reply #50
Andrew Robb suggested on the Insiders on Sunday that the libs knew they were going to be defeated for quite a while, why the hell did they sign the EW contracts when labor told them to hold off until after the election, absolute bloody disgrace and unbelievably deceitful, treating the public like lower class imbeciles, Napthine and his plebs are a disgrace

Easy answer mate. They sign off on the contracts, knowing it hamstrings labor into delivering a plan that they can claim they started. Makes for good press at the next election. It's bloody grubby, but both sides are guilt of it.
Keep the Faith

Reply #51
@EB1

My daughter is a  nurse at one of the major hospitals and people lives are at risk due to the poor patient ratio's and lack of funding........Nurses are cracking up on the job, doing drugs etc due to the poor conditions
and being abused by management. You have imported nurses from overseas who are cheap/useless and prepared to cop these poor standards while the local properly qualified nurses have to run around and make
the system work.....until they either quit or breakdown...Hospitals just cover up the mistakes and patients are suffering and even passing away due to lack of attention being paid to the health system.
Agree that Abbott is gone but i would expect after Labour's win in Victoria he will start spending and trying to buy some votes....

News this morning from Access Economics seems to suggest that the Gov are well, well into the red and that EB means Abbott is cooked. Spend and hire the best spin doctor for the election or hold the line, which means he will loose. My guess is that he will start the big spend soon. Lie with the mining tycoons and you are beholden to Resource prices. Guess what, they are dropping fast and hard. So many opportunities and missed promises. Nver mind the disgrace of not giving the armed forces a CPI indexed pay rise..ironically close to celebrating the end of the War....Abbott is sweating bullets now. Question now is what will Shorten do. I'm not convinced by him. Perhaps he is playing the long game..on the high road and letting Tony dig his own grave.
Keep the Faith

Reply #52
I have no particular political allegiances, a true swinging voter, and I think this gov. has badly screwed up. However, the thought of Shorten and his mates taking over truly scares me. I think he is toxic and stands for nothing but his own ambition.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #53
I'm looking forward to seeing how much progress gets done on the 20 rail crossings being put underground by Daniel 'call-me-Dan-'cos-it-sounds-way-cool' Andrews.......phhhhht.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #54
^^

Ill just settle for the government in power not taking the kudo's for the previous governments work.  Eastern and Western health both just got new hospitals on the back of funding allocated pre Liberal power, but the Libs were there cutting the ribbon at the opening (mind you a full 2 weeks prior to the official opening of the place due to time frames on the election) and it caused a whole bunch of grief regarding getting the new place setup including forcing us to use overtime to make up for the lost day cutting a bloody ribbon.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #55
Yep, the Liberal Party is the High IQ party.  Its contribution to the debate on climate change has been impressive.  You also have to admire the fantastic linguistic ability applied to the task of proving that a lie isn't a lie, although only the top 1 percentile of the population can see the beauty of those arguments or the many other rhetorical flourishes.

Nice response...  :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #56
Yep, the Liberal Party is the High IQ party.  Its contribution to the debate on climate change has been impressive.  You also have to admire the fantastic linguistic ability applied to the task of proving that a lie isn't a lie, although only the top 1 percentile of the population can see the beauty of those arguments or the many other rhetorical flourishes.

Nice response...  :)

There was a good episode of the simpsons around 15 years ago where the townsfolk with the highest IQ ran the town.

nothing got done

Was a good social commentary episode.

[flash=600,400]http://www.youtube.com/v/ntH9awBKU70[/flash]

Reply #57
I have no particular political allegiances, a true swinging voter, and I think this gov. has badly screwed up. However, the thought of Shorten and his mates taking over truly scares me. I think he is toxic and stands for nothing but his own ambition.
I wish this was not an accurate statement, but it looks that way to me.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #58

I'm a Labour man but Shorten isnt the best leader of the ALP at the Federal level we have seen and I also have concerns...

Reply #59

I'm a Labour man ...

We all cant be perfect eb ;)