Skip to main content
Topic: Republican of the Year (Read 47601 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Republican of the Year

Reply #45
How can anyone trust assurances that come from an apparent liar?

You cant trust assurances from any of them... ;)

Most of the time when they say "The leader has my total support" they're lying.

Reply #46
I was watching Abbott on and off at the press club...gee he is not great public speaker. Especially when his neck is on the line. You could tell the press smelled blood and were sticking it to him. His colleagues looked resigned to a change of leadership.

Talk about a faux pas...starts to go back to blaming the previous government again. Jesus. Stop whining and pointing fingers. You are the most powerful man in the country..get on with it. Exact change. Compromise and reach across the aisle..Oh, what's that you say? They won't listen and keep saying no..even to legitimate ideas?  That is called Karma Tony. Just flapped his lips with empty platitudes.Uninspiring, insipid, a cooked goose. Bad news for Labor, good news for people who voted Liberal (not Abbott).
Keep the Faith

Reply #47
Abbott's fall from grace shows the enormous gulf between opposition leader and prime minister.  As opposition leader, all Abbott had to do was to say 'no' and repeat rehearsed lines about poor economic management and broken promises.  As prime minister, he has to implement policy, explain why hard decisions have to be made, keep his party in line and negotiate with the cross benches, and he is absolute rubbish at all of that.  On top of that there is his unbelievable hubris, inability to open his mouth without putting his foot in it, poor political judgement, disconnection from the general public, poor policy choices and ridiculous "captain's calls".

I visited Scotland the day after Abbott made his inappropriate comments about the independence referendum and I was a little concerned about how the Scots would respond to us as Aussies.  I shouldn't have worried, everyone said that Abbott was well known for talking crap and they knew that most Aussies have a lick more sense.  However, they did wonder how we could have elected such a d1ckhead as our prime minister  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #48
I think we make a bit of a mistake comparing the Rudd/ Gillard (freudian slip...I just typed Judd/  Gillard  ;D) situation and the Abbott vs the rest.

Abbott is on the nose not only in the community in general but at the grassroots level of LNP support.

There would be no questions regarding the legitimacy of any successor because I have a feeling most folk voted Liberal in spite of having Abbott as the leader, not because of him.

A lot of folk voted LNP last time with severe reservations over the leadership.
They wouldn't vote for them today with Abbott as leader

The Libs wouldn't call an election early(next 6 months) because... yes they would struggle.

...but in reality most of the 'stuff ups' since they took government have  really been 'potential' ones....they haven't made it through the Senate...they haven't really impacted. They've scared folk but they haven't hurt them so the effect will be quickly forgotten with a change in direction

On key election commitments...stopping the boats, carbon tax, mining tax they've been quite successful in delivering (whatever you think of those policies ;)).

The average punter couldnt give a rats toss bag about the mining tax, carbon tax or the boats IMO.....you try and hit them in  the pocket with extra taxes on fuel, making them pay more to see the GP then trying to force GPs to charge them more, then start suggesting that the GST could be raised and you will have yourself a political riot like we saw in Qld.
Couple that with salesmen like Hockey and Cormann who couldnt sell tupperware without making it sound like money grabbing and you have the mess that is the Liberal party.......
The worry for me is that when you have imbeciles running the country from either major party when in power you then give credibility to maniacs like the Greens, Palmer united party, motorist enthusiast party etc etc and you end up with a collection of nutters holding power who only have their own agendas to run and the country goes nowhere....

Reply #49
I was surprised tonight by Scott Morrison's performance on 7:30. Normally he is a very good speaker and makes his points clearly. Tonight he actually stated that the actual policies were the be all and end all rather than spelling them out clearly to the public. Therein may be the nub of the problem this government has?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #50
I was surprised tonight by Scott Morrison's performance on 7:30. Normally he is a very good speaker and makes his points clearly. Tonight he actually stated that the actual policies were the be all and end all rather than spelling them out clearly to the public. Therein may be the nub of the problem this government has?

Leigh Sales gave Morrison the shirtfront tonight  that Abbott wanted to give Putin... :)

Reply #51
The average punter couldnt give a rats toss bag about the mining tax, carbon tax or the boats IMO.....you try and hit them in  the pocket with extra taxes on fuel, making them pay more to see the GP then trying to force GPs to charge them more, then start suggesting that the GST could be raised and you will have yourself a political riot like we saw in Qld.

Quite right...... and if they had got through then the scars would have remained.
The point is that they didn't, and folk will quickly forget....because the average punter lives very much in the present.
A change of leadership will put a further gap in the memory because those ideas will be tied to Abbott....not a Turnbull Bishop, Morrison.
12 months from now they'll have little electoral impact and the government will be decided on policies under the new leader.
That's another reason change is important for the conservatives.

Reply #52

Couple that with salesmen like Hockey and Cormann who couldnt sell tupperware without making it sound like money grabbing and you have the mess that is the Liberal party.......
The worry for me is that when you have imbeciles running the country from either major party when in power you then give credibility to maniacs like the Greens, Palmer united party, motorist enthusiast party etc etc and you end up with a collection of nutters holding power who only have their own agendas to run and the country goes nowhere....

The Greens ? Maniacs ? Really ?

Reply #54
Sounds like a spill may not be too far away.

Reply #55

The Greens ? Maniacs ? Really ?

Yep..not a fan of the Greens, their silent leader and some of their ideas, especially Sarah HY's work, of the others, Clive is just in it for his own business reasons....Jackie Lambie is out of her depth  and the motoring bloke has no idea about anything including motoring....

Reply #56
Yep..not a fan of the Greens, their silent leader and some of their ideas, especially Sarah HY's work, of the others, Clive is just in it for his own business reasons....Jackie Lambie is out of her depth  and the motoring bloke has no idea about anything including motoring....

Pretty much nailed it EB, although I do have some time for Scott Ludlam and a little less for Adam Bandt.  Of course, being a minor party with no hope of forming government means that you can have idealistic policies that will never have to be implemented.

While I don't mind minor parties and independents having a role in our parliaments, they should be elected on merit, not by convoluted preferencing outcomes.  If it was up to me, I would place a limit on the number of candidates you can vote for - say six or eight - so your vote doesn't end up with some turkey whose policies are objectionable.

And I'd introduce a suitability test to weed out the morons and sociopaths  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #57

Pretty much nailed it EB, although I do have some time for Scott Ludlam and a little less for Adam Bandt.  Of course, being a minor party with no hope of forming government means that you can have idealistic policies that will never have to be implemented.

While I don't mind minor parties and independents having a role in our parliaments, they should be elected on merit, not by convoluted preferencing outcomes.  If it was up to me, I would place a limit on the number of candidates you can vote for - say six or eight - so your vote doesn't end up with some turkey whose policies are objectionable.

And I'd introduce a suitability test to weed out the morons and sociopaths  :)

DJ..I dont have a problem with Independents in theory and Nick Xenophon is one of the better more honest politicians going around but I get frustrated by these one policy parties that specialize in one or two areas
but then get to vote on every other policy going through parliament of which they have no idea, have put no work into and just end up hindering the mechanics of parliament.

Reply #58
I wouldn't pick on the independents and minor parties though.
90+% of all the main parties people just vote as they're told, not necessarily as they believe.

That's how politics work.

I'm not a supporter of PUP, but without them in the last year pensioners and low income earners would be in dire straits now.
Thanks to Rabbot and big fat Joe.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #59
Could this be a new Oxford Dictionary entry?  ;D

This Tony Abbott bloke is looking more like a James Hird everyday! ;)

James Hird(Def)
Noun:- A human being, someone who loves themselves, unwelcome person, egocentric, exploiter, monopolist, self-seeker, neurotic, obsessive, paranoid.
1: James Hird was unwelcome.
2: We finally saw the real James Hird.
3: Relax I'm not James Hird.
Adjective:- Foolish, derisory, farcial, nonsensical, glib, superficial.
1: What a James Hird.
2: Even a James Hird would get that right.
3: Don't be James Hird.
Verb:- Disdain, decline, rebuff, repudiate, disobey, disclaim, contradict, misinform, prevaricate, hyperbolise, deceive, betray.
1: You're doing a James Hird.
2: I've did the James Hird.
3: I gave him some James Hird.
The Force Awakens!