Skip to main content
Topic: Republican of the Year (Read 47738 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Republican of the Year

Reply #90
Bill Shorten thought Tony was gone?

Reply #91

When you get 41 votes out of 100 by default, and 39 of the remaining 59 vote against you, you are gone you just don't know it admit it yet! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93

When you get 41 votes out of 100 by default, and 39 of the remaining 59 vote against you, you are gone you just don't know it admit it yet! ;)

I think IOT means he prepared his no confidence speech for the wrong leader :D
Spent the first half of it attacking Turnbull.

Australian Politics is currently a circus in just about every respect.

Reply #94
Shorten is shaping up as just another "destroyer" type opposition leader, focused mainly on getting rid of the current government but with few if any policies or true vision for the country. Reminds me a lot of Abbot in opposition tbh - wonder if he's modeled himself on him?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #95
Watching today the real poor performer was Tanya Plibersek seconding the no confidence motion.
Waffle!

Reply #96
Watching today the real poor performer was Tanya Plibersek seconding the no confidence motion.
Waffle!

She's a dud!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #97
Waffle!

She's a dud!
Dig a big hole, push em all in and back fill it fast before any get out.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #98
Just keeps getting better.

Labor oversaw 'holocaust' of jobs: Abbott

AAPFebruary 12, 2015, 11:44 am

Prime Minister Tony Abbott was met with opposition outrage when he described rising unemployment in the defence industry as a "holocaust of jobs".

Mr Abbott was answering a Labor question about the latest unemployment figures, including 7.3 per cent in the South Australia where defence industry jobs have traditionally been strong.

"Under members opposite, defence jobs in this country declined by 10 per cent," Mr Abbott told parliament on Thursday.

"There was a holocaust of jobs in defence industries."

Mr Abbott subsequently apologised and withdrew the comment. He replaced the word "holocaust" with "decimation".

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/national/a/26276495/labor-oversaw-holocaust-of-jobs-abbott/

Reply #99
I'm not going to excuse him.
I've been a huge critic in recent times and he should have been politically much more savvy in this case.

I'll just make the point that Tony is the same vintage as myself and in our younger days "holocaust"  didn't have the same connection with the death camps of Nazi Germany as it does today but was a more generic term associated with total destruction.

Not so today... and it was a very poor choice of words.

Reply #100
First of all, I have to point out that I wholeheartedly agree with the American think-tank that found that Tony Abbott was the most incompetent leader of a western democracy.

However, there is a difference between a holocaust and the Holocaust, as in the Black Saturday holocaust, a nuclear holocaust and the Nazi slaughter of Jews and other 'undesirables' in the Holocaust or Shoah.  Yes, it was a poor choice of words by the Suppository of All Wisdom, but not necessarily a career ending gaffe.

As a pedantic supporter of the English language, I'm more concerned that Abbott substituted 'decimated' for 'holocaust'.  Of course, 'decimated' means the execution of one in every ten and that's just a little more severe than losing your job.  OK, perhaps that was too pedantic, but a PM who is presiding over a dramatic increase in unemployment should think before throwing stones.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #101
I think Abbott is a total  embarrassment to our country and will go down as the worst Prime minister in our history. But that being said, the reporting of his latest gaff was weak by our media outlets. Yes he used the term "holocaust" which was inappropriate but he immediately withdrew and apologized for his use of the term. Still channel 7 have to get a comment from the president of the Jewish holocaust society.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #102
Waffle!

She's a dud!

We'll have to agree to disagree Cookie.  I reckon she's one of the few shining lights in our tired and unrepresentative political system.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #103
Waffle!

She's a dud!

We'll have to agree to disagree Cookie.  I reckon she's one of the few shining lights in our tired and unrepresentative political system.

It's interesting......
She usually speaks well in interviews and in public...... but she lacks a bit of fire on the floor of the house...hesitant and lacking in confidence...the government usually hit her to the boundary.
She looks OK when she is adding opposition support to government initiatives on things like terrorism, bali 9 stuff...but generally very bland

Reply #104
Waffle!

She's a dud!

It's interesting......
She usually speaks well in interviews and in public...... but she lacks a bit of fire on the floor of the house...hesitant and lacking in confidence...the government usually hit her to the boundary.
She looks OK when she is adding opposition support to government initiatives on things like terrorism, bali 9 stuff...but generally very bland

Perhaps that's why I rate her Lods.  I don't have much time for the chest beating performances that are passed off as debate in our houses of parliament.