Skip to main content
Topic: Republican of the Year (Read 47731 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Republican of the Year

Reply #105
Watching today the real poor performer was Tanya Plibersek seconding the no confidence motion.
Waffle!

She's a dud!

We'll have to agree to disagree Cookie.  I reckon she's one of the few shining lights in our tired and unrepresentative political system.

It's interesting......
She usually speaks well in interviews and in public...... but she lacks a bit of fire on the floor of the house...hesitant and lacking in confidence...the government usually hit her to the boundary.
She looks OK when she is adding opposition support to government initiatives on things like terrorism, bali 9 stuff...but generally very bland

Perhaps that's why I rate her Lods.  I don't have much time for the chest beating performances that are passed of as debate in our houses of parliament.

Sorry, apart from her recent effort re. the Bali situation, I think she is just another merchant of the negative in similar vein to her boss Shorten. Nothing to see here I'm afraid, totally uninspiring and carping AFAIC.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #106
Watching today the real poor performer was Tanya Plibersek seconding the no confidence motion.
Waffle!

She's a dud!

We'll have to agree to disagree Cookie.  I reckon she's one of the few shining lights in our tired and unrepresentative political system.

It's interesting......
She usually speaks well in interviews and in public...... but she lacks a bit of fire on the floor of the house...hesitant and lacking in confidence...the government usually hit her to the boundary.
She looks OK when she is adding opposition support to government initiatives on things like terrorism, bali 9 stuff...but generally very bland

Perhaps that's why I rate her Lods.  I don't have much time for the chest beating performances that are passed of as debate in our houses of parliament.

Sorry, apart from her recent effort re. the Bali situation, I think she is just another merchant of the negative in similar vein to her boss Shorten. Nothing to see here I'm afraid, totally uninspiring and carping AFAIC.

Abbott demonstrated than an opposition need only be negative to defeat the incumbent government.  Unfortunately for the electorate, that's all we're going to get from oppositions until there's a quantum shift in our political system.

As for Ms Plibersek, her performances on Q & A, and in the media generally, show that she can think on her feet and has some good ideas for making our country a better place.  She is not a head kicker in the mould of Paul Keating, but that's not a bad thing.  In fact, I would prefer to see more people with Ms Plibersek's attributes in our parliaments.  
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #107
@DJC

If you're happy with that then your call mate.

Just another apparatchik spouting the party line AFAIC. And why would you want someone who has used Abbott as a role model?

Reply #108
Just another apparatchik spouting the party line AFAIC.

But aren't they all Cookie?

Maybe it's the feminist in me but it seems that female MPs are more likely to conduct themselves without recourse to the bravado and machismo of their male counterparts, Ms Bishop excepted.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #109

Maybe it's the feminist in me but it seems that female MPs are more likely to conduct themselves without recourse to the bravado and machismo of their male counterparts, Ms Bishop excepted.

Do you even politics? :P Gillard gave much more than she ever took, Hanson-Young is simply rabid. Given there are plenty of gentlemen in both houses, I don't know what you can base this statement on. The only shame is that the loudmouths seem to get to the top.

Reply #110

Do you even politics? :P Gillard gave much more than she ever took, Hanson-Young is simply rabid. Given there are plenty of gentlemen in both houses, I don't know what you can base this statement on. The only shame is that the loudmouths seem to get to the top.

"Do you even politics"

I'm not sure what you mean IOT but I briefly studied political science, spent far too much time in Victoria's Parliament House and, since retiring, spend far too much time watching our Federal parliamentarians in action.  My statement is based on my observations, some at first hand, others at a distance.

Yes, there are some 'gentlemen' - Keith Hamilton was one of the most principled people I ever worked with - and there are some appalling female MPs; Bronwyn and Julie Bishop, Christine Milne, Mary Delahunty and Marsha Thomson for example.  However, I wouldn't include Julia Gillard or Sarah Hanson-Young in that category (although the latter is one of the most irritating politicians of all time).  None of the female MPs that I mentioned even come close to blokes like Pyne, Abetz, Joyce, Thomson, Newman, Latham, Morrison, Andrews, Rudd, etc, etc in terms of disrespecting their office, opponents, and the Australian people.

Reply #111
I was teasing DJC but I do think the poor behaviour has little to do with gender. I think it's just the environment.

Reply #112
I was teasing DJC but I do think the poor behaviour has little to do with gender. I think it's just the environment.

Agree IOT. I would like to see parties focus on their own policies and much less on opposition head kicking which has reached disastrous levels IMO. I know I'm dreaming!

Reply #113
Brandis asked Gillian Triggs to resign before critical child detention report

http://gu.com/p/45nbc

This is why this current lot need to be removed. A golden opportunity to get some help for kids ..KIDS..and in so doing gain some favourable traction with voters...instead they go on the attack claiming bias of the report..citing the start of the report.So they try to scupper the report and shoot the messenger before it is released. I swear they're jumping at shadows and who better than Brandis to do it..well he didn't want to dirty his hands and had his secretary ask the question of resignation..while offering an alternative role.

I am amazed this isn't burning up the airwaves. Makes me bloody sick. You stopped the boats..ok..you delivered on your promise..points scored..now what about this? Throw away the keys and silence and attack anyone who tarnishes your achievement. This lot are a national embarrassment. Sounds like an episode of House of Cards.

Keep the Faith

Reply #114
Paul Keating warned Australia that Tony Abbott was prepared to wreck the joint for his own benefit. Most people ignored the comments as typical Keating rhetoric!

I wonder what they think now? ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #115
Paul Keating warned Australia that Tony Abbott was prepared to wreck the joint for his own benefit. Most people ignored the comments as typical Keating rhetoric!

If it a choice between a conspiracy and a stuff-up.....I'm going to go with the stuff-up ;D

Reply #116

Abbott was necessary to remove Gillard Rudd and Labor

Turnbull is necessary to remove Abbott

Keating is a legend but Labor now are finished as a party...30% primary vote is all they get now

Reply #117
And what, 55% voted for Abbott but good luck finding one of those persons now....
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #118
Keating is a legend but Labor now are finished as a party...30% primary vote is all they get now

Check out the latest Morgan poll; the ALP has 41.5% of the primary vote to 33.5% for the Libs and 2% for Nats and I wouldn't be surprised if we have a one term Federal Government to go with the Victorian and Queensland elections. 

It's an interesting time in Australian politics with the conservative side displaying a dislike, if not contempt, for a significant part of the population and the electorate not willing to accept broken promises and measures not canvassed during the election.  I reckon we're in for turbulent times unless one or other of the major parties can align their policies with the majority of the population's vision for the future - whatever that is.

Reply #119

Check out the latest Morgan poll; the ALP has 41.5% of the primary vote to 33.5% for the Libs and 2% for Nats and I wouldn't be surprised if we have a one term Federal Government to go with the Victorian and Queensland elections. 

It's an interesting time in Australian politics with the conservative side displaying a dislike, if not contempt, for a significant part of the population and the electorate not willing to accept broken promises and measures not canvassed during the election.  I reckon we're in for turbulent times unless one or other of the major parties can align their policies with the majority of the population's vision for the future - whatever that is.

Agree....Libs are history next election and they know it....but Labor wont get it done either and  I am a Labor supporter.
 We do need some measures to bulletproof the country against future rising debt, global financial crisis etc but most of the obvious solutions hit joe average hard in the pocket and wont win
any votes or keep you in Government...rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer, you add that to unemployment likely to go up and the welfare system to be be stretched as more folk seek pensions etc and its tough times ahead with only low petrol prices and interest rates(mortgages) to look forward to.....interest rates falling though will only put more self funded retiree's on the pension and add to the welfare strain. Not sure we will ever see either major political party stay in power very long in the short to medium term...