Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 19: Carlton vs Freo: Post Match Pain Again (Read 37526 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 19: Carlton vs Freo: Post Match Pain Again

Reply #30
Magnificent coaching effort from Mick.

From the way some people post on this forum criticizing Micks moves, you would think that  we can make the eight.

I have got news for you, we can't. So nothing wrong with putting Bell on Fyffe. If Mick thought that Bell was ready, now he knows how far away Bell is from being a top footballer, let alone about his poor skills.

We are not a top four side and won't be with blokes like Rowe and Ellard. Yes, I know some of you defend Rowe, but he would not get a look in at Hawthorn, the Swans, Geelong, Freo, and I won't go on. Neither would Ellard.

They are plugging a hole in our personnel.
The usual suspects kept us in it.

Levi was asleep, White just went, Docherty fks up too much, and when he needs to, can't hit a target. He'll be O.K. but needs to improve.

It was a nice effort with the usual result because we lack the 6 class players to get us into the top 4.

As far as Wood goes, the only reason he panicked and kicked instead of handing off to Simmo, is that he has been out for two years. but I thought he was pretty good tonight.

I hope they re-sign Mick for another 3 years.
In the last few weeks Malthouse has really shown that he still has it as a coach. For much of the year I wondered, as have many here. I still wonder with our team selections: having to play Broke as sub was not a winning move.
However, the guys appear to be playing more for him lately and his skill and strategic planning has been more evident.
Now we need to improve the list and get all the talent on the same page.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #31
I was pleased murphy didn't allow himself to get pushed around - the first time they met this year, Crowley destroyed him and his confidence

Reply #32
Our mis-kicks went straight to a Freo player.  Their mis-kicks went straight to ... a Freo player.

Sigh. Cruel. So cruel.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #33
Did something tonight that we haven't done for year.  Sat a tagger on his ar$e more often than not and protected our man.  We are maturing.  Juddy might even be enjoying his footy again too!!

Agree. Result is irrelevant and all we should be concerned with is next year and using the remaining games to extract as much as we can from the current list so as to take stock and make the changes necessary. Wood f@cked up sure, but at what cost? None. A lot more positives were on show in this game.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #34
I don't mind the loss at this point. We played good footy and weren't embarrassed against a top 4 side.

I don't think we'll miss Carrazzo or McLean next year but Judd needs to play on and Graham needs to play every game for the rest of the year. I'm starting to have faith in Malthouse and our core group of players.

At the end of the day, Pick 6 and a favourable draw for next year is what we should be playing for IMO.

Reply #35
I thought Wood was pretty good tonight considering who he was up against and its a shame that his errant rushed kick ended up giving them the winning goal. He shouldn't be held responsible for the loss, there was a myriad of other reasons for that.

Agree
It was not all of Wood's fault we lost. About half the team can take their share of the blame.
As for Wood's game, he wasn't bad. He gets the ball and gives a target. Unfortunately he gets pounded at the taps: according to the stats, Sandilands had 46 taps and Clarke 21 taps. Wood had 12, while Casboult had 10. That means we lost the tap 3 times for every one we won.
For all that, Wood's pressure did make Sandilands and Clarke less effective, while his ability to get the ball around the ground was good.
But he is no more than answer to our ruck woes than Warnock is. We need someone who gets taps and who gets kicks around the ground.

I am pleased that Wood is getting games: his efforts in the VFL deserved it. I am also pleased with his efforts. But, as well as he does, he still does not give our mids the taps to advantage that we need, especially in tight games.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #36
We are the nth melb of the 2014 season. Lack of composure has killed us in so many games.
I still reckon we are closer than ost people think. Yes we need some key depth but gees we've given some good teams the heebie geebies.

Yes. Just hope we don't go losing to sh1t teams next year after having huge wins...lol.

Reply #37
We are the nth melb of the 2014 season.

Understand your sentiment, but North are still the North of the 2014 season. Killing me in my tipping comp. >:(
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #38
Freo are such a dirty negating team, so typical a Lyon team.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #39
Big pre season recruit wise and on the track, and we ll be on the right track next year.
Showing we can match it with the big boys. One bad quarter against the Swans and the rest of the last month has been pretty good.
Just need to learn to keep our composure in the close ones.
Micks got the team playing some good footy. He ll weed out those who cant compete.
Nothing much from Johnson and Graham,
We missed Menz and Dre.
Robbo would ve been handy tonight to give Crowley one of his left hook specials.
That's 6 losses under 15 pts this year.

Reply #40
Unfortunately he gets pounded at the taps: according to the stats, Sandilands had 46 taps and Clarke 21 taps. Wood had 12, while Casboult had 10.

JUst on that, Casboult is definitely getting the hang of around the ground ruckwork, I saw him monster Clarke a few times in that ruck situation.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #41
This is the sort of win our group really needed, to build some belief.  dominated the game but didn't hit the scoreboard and particularly disappointed in Ellard.  Two of footballs easier chances to convert directly in front went almost missed completely.

Unfortunately Tuohy's fifty metre penalty swung the momentum back to Freo again and that's where I felt the game was slipping away from us again.  Too many errors in our game.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #42
I don't mind the loss at this point. We played good footy and weren't embarrassed against a top 4 side.

I don't think we'll miss Carrazzo or McLean next year but Judd needs to play on and Graham needs to play every game for the rest of the year. I'm starting to have faith in Malthouse and our core group of players.

At the end of the day, Pick 6 and a favourable draw for next year is what we should be playing for IMO.
In the days and weeks to come, and especially on Draft Day, I won't mind that we didn't win: we will get a lot more out of the game than Freo will. They may have won the 4 points, but that is all they got out of the game. Their next opponents, especially those with a bit more talent than we have, are going to use tonight to really hurt Freo in the weeks to come. They will probably not get a top 4 spot.

On the other hand, we will get a top pick and will get a slightly easier draw, as MilkIt noted. With the year we have experienced, that is the prize for us at this point.

A couple of weeks back, I didn't expect to win another game for the year. I was hoping we would not get thrashed. I have to re-evaluate those thoughts: on present form we are playing much better than Gold Coast, Port Adelaide and maybe Essendon. Even Sydney only outplayed us for 1 quarter (granted that we played our worst quarter for the year, while Sydney played their best, but that is another tale).Those teams had better take us seriously, or even with our present weakened line-up, we are going to give them nightmares. I look forward to that. I want them to have nightmares about us for years and years to come.
To quote Merlin the Magician: "A dream to some. A NIGHTMARE TO OTHERS!"  >:D  >:D  >:D
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #43
Phrases like we deserve to win are a nonsense

Have to agree.
They are on the same level as phrases like "I'm shocked to be sitting here" which show contempt for the game.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #44
Just got back from the game I didn't expect a win so not overly disappointed, just happy we were competitive.

Few points

Thought sandilands had a huge impact, he would just sit in our forward line and read everything.

Decision making was good at times, but was very poor, ie Waite trying to be fancy and murphys misplaced kick to yarran.

Our quick kicks out of the pack are a huge huge problem. I don't understand how this isn't addressed, opposition teams just exploit this time and time again.

I gotta say I sure do miss watching Eddie up close