Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 5: Carlton vs Port Adelaide at the MCG (Read 9776 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 5: Carlton vs Port Adelaide at the MCG

Reply #75
Makes sense McG for SOJ, but who comes out for Williams? Dow? I fear it may be Cottrell, which I think would be unfair. Don't think Stocker will be risked for this one. And remember, our selection committee is extremely conservative... unless desperate or injuries force their hands.
I think we might find McGovern in for SoJ, and Williams in for Gibbons who was hobbling a bit towards the end.

A lot might depend on Plowman, if he is out I can well see McGovern getting a D50 role curtail Dixon, and as such with three relatively mobile KPPs you keep one of Jones, McGovern and Weitering free to intercept.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #76
Late to the party.....our coastline smashed by a cyclone on Sunday night....including up around Cripps' family farming area...been without power for 3 days!!!

Like most, want to see Dow make it but at the moment he's struggling full stop and really not contributing anything. Needs a run of half a dozen games in the VFL to just find the footy.

Have said on more than one occasion this year that Setterfield has been terrible and not sure why he was an automatic inclusion last week.

Assuming Williams is fit and no other injuries than what we already know about:

IN: Kennedy, Williams, McGovern (with trepidation)
OUT: Dow, Silvagni, Setterfield

We don't really lose any pace with Williams coming in, McGovern taking JSOS' place and McGovern giving a bit of support for McKay with Levi back up in the ruck. Casboult's form is average but he needs to play while TDK is still out.

Reply #77
IN: Kennedy, Williams, McGovern (with trepidation)
OUT: Dow, Silvagni, Setterfield
I doubt we drop both Dow and Setterfield, you're basically loading up the pain on Cripps and Walsh against a strongish opposition midfield. As much as they haven't great form, Setterfield and Dow have big enough bodies.

Despite having a good game, I wouldn't be surprised to find Ed on the outer, with Setterfield retained as another option to cover for Plowman if Plowman isn't 100%.

I've noticed a couple of other AFL coaches going horses for courses under these new rules, we haven't yet but I think that it's just a matter of time.

I don't know enough about the replacements for Ports kids to get a bead on the direction to go in. Will they be faster/slower, bigger/smaller, etc., etc..
The Force Awakens!

Reply #78
You OK now @WASurfer ?

Reply #79
I doubt we drop both Dow and Setterfield, you're basically loading up the pain on Cripps and Walsh against a strongish opposition midfield. As much as they haven't great form, Setterfield and Dow have big enough bodies.

Despite having a good game, I wouldn't be surprised to find Ed on the outer, with Setterfield retained as another option to cover for Plowman if Plowman isn't 100%.

I've noticed a couple of other AFL coaches going horses for courses under these new rules, we haven't yet but I think that it's just a matter of time.

I don't know enough about the replacements for Ports kids to get a bead on the direction to go in. Will they be faster/slower, bigger/smaller, etc., etc..
Think Rockliff will come back in for Port, agree with Dow and Setterfield playing, dont see both being dropped, maybe Dow might.
I'd say Setterfield is safe for this week...

Reply #80
Kennedy and Williams surely can cover for Dow and Setterfield? Kennedy isn't quick but that bigger body in the middle. I'd also be looking at Stocker as an option on one of their smaller forwards.

Yeah Cap...we're about 90 minutes south of Kalbarri which is the town that's nearly been wiped off the face of the earth....70% of the buildings damaged. About the only saving grace is the rainfall for the farmers who are about to start seeding....the timing is perfect.

Reply #81
Makes sense McG for SOJ, but who comes out for Williams? Dow? I fear it may be Cottrell, which I think would be unfair. Don't think Stocker will be risked for this one. And remember, our selection committee is extremely conservative... unless desperate or injuries force their hands.

I'm not so sure about that Baggers.  I think that there's certainly an element of risk aversion, but there's also a fair whack of political awareness in the sense of playing high profile trade-ins and milestone players when their form/fitness may not merit selection ... or am I being too cynical?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #82
I'm not so sure about that Baggers.  I think that there's certainly an element of risk aversion, but there's also a fair whack of political awareness in the sense of playing high profile trade-ins and milestone players when their form/fitness may not merit selection ... or am I being too cynical?
Big game, think they will roll the dice on McGovern, bring Williams back in and maybe drop Dow.
Port are down some soldiers and also sore, we wont get a better chance IMO to knock them over than now.
Lose this and then lose to the traditional enemy in Essendon and we will be 2-4 down, and back in the shizen stuff.
I share your cynical views on selection , this is crunch time coming up where a coach probably has until mid year to be on the positive side of the ledger or be worried when the CEO says he is going to lunch early with a new business partner and will have his mobile off....

Reply #83
Lose this and then lose to the traditional enemy in Essendon and we will be 2-4 down, and back in the shizen stuff.
We've actually got Brisbane after port EB, so we could be 2-4 down even before we play Essenscum.  :'(

Reply #84
We've actually got Brisbane after port EB, so we could be 2-4 down even before we play Essenscum.  :'(

I'm the other way, looking at 4-2.

Reply #85
Cheers Rocky, got my fixture around the wrong way, probably even tougher given Brisbane are are probably going to strike form soon ....

Reply #86
I'm the other way, looking at 4-2.
Jim, I could see you on the Titanic telling the passengers it was a couple of degrees warmer than yesterday and not to worry as they jumped in the icy waters..😉😎..I'd be happy with 3-3 and Essendon to come...

Reply #87
Jim, I could see you on the Titanic telling the passengers it was a couple of degrees warmer than yesterday and not to worry as they jumped in the icy waters..😉😎..I'd be happy with 3-3 and Essendon to come...

Jim is the Black Knight.

"its just a flesh wound..."

Reply #88

Get past this game and I reckon we can beat Brisbane. Carlton being Carlton, likely to win these 2 then lose to .Essendon. Would be happy with 3-3.