Skip to main content

Poll

Who would you like to see as the next Captain of the Carlton football club?

Patrick Cripps
[ 39 ] (66.1%)
Sam Docherty
[ 18 ] (30.5%)
Other
[ 2 ] (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Topic: Next Captain (Read 23750 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Next Captain

Reply #135
You have to ask yourself a question Thry...has Cripps ever chased?

Opposition teams always man Cripps at the stoppage then run off him and play wide knowing he wont go with them........he doesnt have the tank or speed to chase and in his case he gets excused like Selwood, Greg Williams etc...he is a champ at what he does well and we need him fit at every stoppage not buggered from providing some useless chase that he will never be successful at anyway.
Problem arises when that man on him at the stoppage who runs off him(may not be the same man) gets a lot of the ball or is damaging and you have to way up the pros and cons....you virtually have an opposition player unmanned for the game. Now if thats a good player like a Pendlebury/Bontempelli etc you can get into trouble....

Im not sure EB1.

Its a headache for sure, but its one we seem to be negating by simply saying to Cripps, the best way to ensure you dont get run off is to cripple them by running forward.

Its a good approach.  The bloke should have kicked about 20 odd goals from set shots inside 50 this season, but unfortunately has been as accurate as Casboult in forward 50.

Never mind.  Its a problem today where we are playing blokes that give us feck all for half a match out of 4 quarters because they arent AFL ready.

Realistically we line up with a plus one behind the ball anyway, so we should have players able to pick up his man behind the contest free to help out when required.

What we see though, is that inexperience is resulting in an inability to compete for 4 quarters, and we seem to have a plan for having the ascendency and not having the momentum in our favour which is a plus for the coach.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #136
In fairness to Cripps, I'm not sure his efforts are any worse than those of Taylor Walker.

On second thoughts, that might not be the best example going around! ;D

An aside, I heard mentioned on radio that Cripps is as fast across the ground as Jarryd Roundhead, I'm not sure where that comes from does Antoine have a source of figures?

Maybe they have the wrong Cripps, it's possible!

The Force Awakens!

Reply #137
If Cripps stars nailing set shots he will be close to the most damaging mid in the business.   Bugger chasing if he can add a direct offensive component to his game.   Chasing should be left to racehorses, his job is inside.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #138
If Cripps stars nailing set shots he will be close to the most damaging mid in the business.   Bugger chasing if he can add a direct offensive component to his game.   Chasing should be left to racehorses, his job is inside.

I agree.

He has to get that part of his game sorted though, once he does( I expect him to do so ) he won't have to chase because they'll be crap scared to leave him unattended!

I think the bigger worry is the apparent lack of willingness from some of our forwards to try and pick up the slack! Cripps jogging behind the opposition I can totally accept, FFS his team-mates should chair him to the next stoppage, but four or five of the others doing that I cannot!

I was hoping the inclusion of Pickett might mask some of this, given he has speed to burn, it didn't eventuate so lets hope the result is an aberration!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #140
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/blues-great-robert-walls-says-marc-murphy-should-remain-as-carlton-captain/news-story/216f4d512a891d10d739e5556eee3b53
Wise man or Irrelevant Old Git? Personally I tend to agree with the silly old kent.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #141
Wise man or Irrelevant Old Git? Personally I tend to agree with the silly old kent.

Probably doesnt matter, next year will be another hard year given what we have seen this season so changing captains probably wont make much difference IMO...

Reply #142

Me too!  That's agree with Wallsy, not that I'm an Irrelevant Old Git  ;)

I reckon 2019 should be the final year of the transition to the new skipper ... and I'm not sure whether it will be Cripps, Docherty or a dark horse.  That will give Doc an opportunity to show his on field leadership although giving the job to Crippa could convince him to play out his career in Navy Blue.

I guess that there is the argument that Murphy would be under less pressure if he handed over the captaincy but I'm not convinced.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #143
I wouldn't want to burden Cripps with so much responsibility just yet, so I get Walls' comment

Reply #144
I call BS.

Change is needed, use the broom!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #145
Murphy relinquished the captaincy when he signed on the dotted line a couple of weeks ago.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #146
Murphy relinquished the captaincy when he signed on the dotted line a couple of weeks ago.

Did he?

I must have missed that.

Either way, I think Murphy will keep the captaincy until the end of this contract, and will share it in the second year of his two year deal.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #147
Did he?

I must have missed that.

Either way, I think Murphy will keep the captaincy until the end of this contract, and will share it in the second year of his two year deal.

Patrick Cripps will be captain in 2018.

The only question will be whether Docherty is his co captain or vice.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #149
2019, but I take your point.

In fact, Cripps was captain in 2018 ... so MBB is at least partly correct  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball