Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 2: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 17924 times) previous topic - next topic

Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 2: Carlton vs Melbourne

All ready for this afternoon. Hopefully we can do unto them what they want to do unto us!
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 2: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #1
This is a 'Clayton's' season as far as I'm concerned.
My only interest in it is watching us develop and set up for 2021.

There was a lot of positives there today.
Pittonet's fightback.
Docherty showing some glimpses of his pre-injury form.
Betts didn't have a great impact but his defensive pressure was great.
Cripps' didn't have a great game by his standards but still had an influence.
Weitering was solid.

Reply #2
Jack Martin will get better and better, the Big Pin showed guts by being flogged early but was very competitive after 1/4 time. McGovern pulled his finger out in the second half. Our set shots were disgraceful.
Weitering was better than solid, his first 2 games have been AA standard.

Reply #3
Gawn and Petracca set them up with buy in from many.
Meanwhile we slept.

Could easily have blown out from there. That we came back is of course, admirable and promising blah blah blah..

As well as we came back from what, 5 or 6 goals. Good sides simply won't let us off so easily. Set shots were atrocious. They've been training alone for ages. You'd expect goal kicking to be one very practiced skill 😖

Tidy that up and come to play from the first bounce and we're a chance. Don't and the writing is on the wall 🥄
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #4
That was screwing crap. Sick of the horrible slow starts costing us. Giving no credit at all to the comeback. I want Teague to go the full Terry Wallace "i'll spew up" in a similar game. He needs to let fly with this speech as it's not good enough. Ability is one thing, attitude is another. Two games, a 50 and 42pts start to go down by small margins, especially today. Not good enough!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoCaEzcJCtg

Reply #5
The strong starts need to be generated by the leaders in the club, they need to take responsibility. Cripps, Murphy and Curnow were in the centre square for the first 10 minutes and made zero impression.  No use blaming McGovern, Lang, Betts, Cunningham etc early on......because the ball didn’t get near them!!!

Our leaders let us down when it counted.

Reply #6
Rinse repeat.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #7
Murphy and Cunningham's poise and skill in traffic saved gave us momentum when we needed it. Players like Newnes and Setters need to shake it up. Don't get me started about Lang. I think we really missed the strength of SOJ - could have been the difference 😥 especially to lessen Petracca's early influence.

H struggled against the monster may. McGovern started like he needs glasses, which I've said before. Got better over time, especially when he was higher up the ground. Jack will be good for us up forward.

Doc was rusty but worked his way into it. Samo's disposal was unusually poor (? Injur) Weiters was one of our best imo.

Big Pito adapted against the best. Showed real determination. I thought Levi used his size effectively.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #8
Jack Martin will get better and better, the Big Pin showed guts by being flogged early but was very competitive after 1/4 time. McGovern pulled his finger out in the second half. Our set shots were disgraceful.
Weitering was better than solid, his first 2 games have been AA standard.

Agree on Weitering he was our best player, Pittonet tried hard after half time....McGovern for 800k a season is ripping us off....
Martin is quality but needs to get more ball, Eddie was poor and with Cripps breaking even with Oliver it put more pressure on our lesser mids. It was a carp game between two bottom teams and its just hard to take losing to garbage like Melbourne, I really thought we would win well..

Reply #9
Agree on Weitering he was our best player, Pittonet tried hard after half time....McGovern for 800k a season is ripping us off....
Martin is quality but needs to get more ball, Eddie was poor and with Cripps breaking even with Oliver it put more pressure on our lesser mids. It was a carp game between two bottom teams and its just hard to take losing to garbage like Melbourne, I really thought we would win well..

50 and 42pt starts for two close losses. Had enough of that crap.

Reply #10
Goodwin got the 4 points, but I'm sure he realises they are miles off the pace. 2018 must feel like a long time ago.

Reply #11
17th vs16th

Reply #12
50 and 42pt starts for two close losses. Had enough of that crap.
Can handle losing to Richmond but not Melbourne...carp team, carp coach and scoring zero points in the first quarter to hackers like the Dees is embarrassing...
We play a bruise free brand(Cripps and a couple of others excepted) and still cant master basic skills like kicking set shots for goal.

Reply #13
That clip from Wallace just doesn't do it. You can cuss and yell as much as you like, but if you don't have that fearsome demeanour, and if it's not part of you, it just doesn't wash. Also, at the very end where he says to shower and then he'll meet up at the social club, that takes out whatever tiny sting his words had to begin with.

If Malthouse or Clarkson delivered that spray...............

Reply #14
Very very disappointed with that.

Watched with a mate who supports the Swans.

He said gee a lot of your blokes look lazy and disinterested....and he was right. Zero intensity.

And our decision making! FMD. Even with minutes to go we had the ball in possession and gave it up so lamely.

Teague should be worried by that effort.

Goal kicking. What the f.. do these blokes do at training day in, day out?

Last quarter 3.5 to 0.1.

Shameful.
Finals, then 4 in a row!