Skip to main content
Topic: RD 16 : Carlton v St Kilda (Pre-game Chatter) (Read 66269 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 16 : Carlton v St Kilda (Pre-game Chatter)

Reply #15
2E is a player that really concerns me... and epitomises many  of our problems.  At least he is worth persisting with as he does has real upside.  He is a good size, a brilliant kick, has pace and can be courageous....  but then he has games where he is as weak as Pi55, makes dumb errors, doesn't get involved and becomes a zero contributor.  He seems to struggle when the ball is coming in above his eyeline.  Spends a lot of the time spectating or running to "dead" zones where the ball ain't going.  I think it is his inexperience but he clearly lacks "footy smarts" and can become very reactionary.

Sometimes I think it is because of his background (i.e. hasn't played the game since he was 6 so he lacks the nuances), but I am wondering if it is time to play him further up the ground (wing?) or give him stints on ball to round out his "education".  Maybe too much time as a defender has stymied his more attacking decision making?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #16
Whilst I don't think he's earned it yet I think we have to give Mitchell an extended run. The finals are gone for us and we should now find out who can play and who can't.

Watson to be given an extended run, bring in Laidler to see where he's at, play McInness, blood Graham and give a taste to Buckley. I would also play Casboult at FF for an run of games to see how he goes without having to ruck too much. I would move Yarran to rebound out of the back half and also move the Irishman onto a wing to run and carry a bit and perhaps even try him for short stints into the midfield. Anyone who's injured or not 100% we don't play.

Edit: Forgot to add PLAY MENZEL

I like a lot of these moves but I think Laidler in and Yarran down back are highly unlikely as the stubborn beast that is MM will not want to seen resorting to Ratts' old moves, although he has to some extent with his deployment of tagging mids.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #17
I am wondering if it is time to play him further up the ground (wing?) or give him stints on ball to round out his "education".  Maybe too much time as a defender has stymied his more attacking decision making?

Yes this was what I was saying earlier exactly that. Maybe it's time to see what he can do off a wing give him some short stints into the midfield - you cannot hide there. He is capable of run and carry and thumping kick he could really hurt delivering inside 50.

Reply #18
Not too concerned who plays and which players are dropped for this game. Just need to see some intensity and genuine effort to execute some basic fundamentals.

1. Attack the player with the ball and apply a genuine tackle to bring the player to ground.

2. Run hard offensively and run as hard back to defend on a rebound or with a football turnover.

3. 2nd and 3rd efforts a must by every player.

4. Protect your team player with the footy. Sheppard, bump, shove, and block his running path at all cost.

5. Don't be selfish and play for your own benefit. Play for the benefit of the entire team.

6. Stand tall and don't let the Saints bully you. Be mentally strong and you will be physically strong. Its part of our logo. Read it, study it, learn it, and enforce it. Do it FFS. Just do it. Try hard to get this right and I won't mind a loss. Be genuine and impress me as a supporter. Its the minimum I deserve. Now go get them.  ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #19
Not too concerned who plays and which players are dropped for this game. Just need to see some intensity and genuine effort to execute some basic fundamentals.

1. Attack the player with the ball and apply a genuine tackle to bring the player to ground.

2. Run hard offensively and run as hard back to defend on a rebound or with a football turnover.

4. Protect your team player with the footy. Sheppard, bump, shove, and block his running path at all cost.

5. Don't be selfish and play for your own benefit. Play for the benefit of the entire team.

6. Stand tall and don't let the Saints bully you. Be mentally strong and you will be physically strong. Its part of our logo. Read it, study it, learn it, and enforce it. Do it FFS. Just do it. Try hard to get this right and I won't mind a loss. Be genuine and impress me as a supporter. Its the minimum I deserve. Now go get them.  ;)

It all sounds great - why do I think they won't do it!?!?!?

Play team football, go hard for the ball, win the contest, be first to the ball etc. Think it will catch on?

Reply #20

It all sounds great - why do I think they won't do it!?!?!?

Play team football, go hard for the ball, win the contest, be first to the ball etc. Think it will catch on?

Which ever player fails to try, they should be traded or dropped. Its the only way we get rid of the drift wood. The above would be my KPI.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #21
Whilst I don't think he's earned it yet I think we have to give Mitchell an extended run. The finals are gone for us and we should now find out who can play and who can't.

Watson to be given an extended run, bring in Laidler to see where he's at, play McInness, blood Graham and give a taste to Buckley. I would also play Casboult at FF for an run of games to see how he goes without having to ruck too much. I would move Yarran to rebound out of the back half and also move the Irishman onto a wing to run and carry a bit and perhaps even try him for short stints into the midfield. Anyone who's injured or not 100% we don't play.

60k a week footy dept scratching their heads and here it is for free

Reply #22

60k a week footy dept scratching their heads and here it is for free

Yeah but you know what they say about opinions......:-)

Reply #23
If Milne plays,  Supporters need to give him hell.  

Reply #24
If Milne plays,  Supporters need to give him hell.

Hasn't there been a directive from the AFL on crowd abuse now? Be careful last thing we want to be is next weeks headlines :-[

Reply #25
nothing wrong with Booing though.   :P

Reply #26
nothing wrong with Booing though.   :P

Oh yes Boo away!!! You're just not allowed to say what you think anymore :-X

Reply #27
Saints are really taking it up to Freo over in the west, they won't be an easy opponent based on this performance.

They aren't an easy opponent based on 16 of the last 18 times we've played them...  >:(

Kosi's 200th - Riewoldt fresh after a rest and Milne back in....

they'll start the rough stuff and we'll turn to water.... AGAIN!!

Saints by 5 goals
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #28

they'll start the rough stuff and we'll turn to water.... AGAIN!!

Saints by 5 goals

Not the rough stuff - please no!!!

We are soft and they know it. They will go with the same plan as the last couple of times, apply heat and watch Carlton fold.

Reply #29
Can't see us getting up for this game. Especially with everyone telling the players aren't up to it. Reckon the player managers have been busy this week.  :D

Saints by pick a number between 1 & 30
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........