Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 6 2024 Post Game Review Carlton vs GWS (Read 3048 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 6 2024 Post Game Review Carlton vs GWS

Reply #105
Think we need to cool the jets on the idea we can play 2 rucks most weeks.
Pitto  had his best game for the club and contributed around the ground which is out of the box for him as he is generally only effective as a bullocking tap ruckman and does sfa around the game. Last week was the perfect game but its one out of how many?

TDK was ultra effective as a forward and snagged 3 and should have had 4.

My point is both played blinders and the game was on a dry track. Wont work every week and personally i prefer going in with the one tall in TDK.

Ideally I hope last week becomes a regular occurrence as its so difficult for the opposition to play against it but i need to see it as good as last week again and again before im convinced.

I think we've probably reached the stage where we aren't necessarily committed to either option (one ruck/ or two)
Voss said as much in his post match conference.

Some weeks we may go with one.
Other weeks we may go with two.
Some weeks either option will work.
Other weeks the opposition may find a way to negate any advantage an option provides
I'm sure the Geelong brains trust will be having a real good look at it this week.

One point that probably needs to be made is that Cripps is a fan of having Pittonet in the side....and it kind of showed.
Another is that if TDK is the sole ruck it will probably reduce any 'forward' effectiveness he may bring.

This has never been a simple argument because there are variables and pluses and minuses all over the place.
I reckon by the end of the season we'll have a much better idea of how things will work.
What we need to see is both our big men fit and healthy for the duration.

Reply #106
We need to plan well for the following....

Blicavs will go to Cripps
Atkins will go to Walsh

If the pussies win those match-ups (or break-even), we are severely hamstrung.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #107
Probably of most concern is the Weitering availability.

Reply #108
We need to plan well for the following....

Blicavs will go to Cripps
Atkins will go to Walsh

If the pussies win those match-ups (or break-even), we are severely hamstrung.
Kennedy and George will do serious damage I'd left unattended.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #109
Geelong have traveled 3 times already this year, played in the rain last week, are very conscious of overloading their aging players (Hawkins rested recently) and have played Saints, Adelaide, Hawthorn, Bullies, North and Brisbane.

Have they REALLY been put to the sword, especially away from their paddock??  A similar situation to GWS last week, they have the wins....but against who??  They are ripe for the picking!!

Reply #110
One or two games of stats won't make a big difference to overall stats, but after a couple of games the umpiring effectively forced TDK into changing his technique when there wasn't anything actually wrong with it. All because of Scott whinging.

We had plenty of debate about this at the time, and the influence of our ruck coaches, surely you remember.

Think back to the Geelong game last season.  De Koning hurt Stanley with a fairly crude knee to the ribs.  De Koning was slapped with a $3,000 fine and Scott did complain about Stanley's injury in his post game presser.  We appealed and Tom was exonerated.  In the games following, De Koning's free kicks against were 1, 0, 1, 3, 5, 3, 0 ...  The five frees came in the Essendon game where the umpires favoured Essendon with 32 frees to 18.  The frees paid against De Koning were all in general play; two for in the back and one for chopping the arms in marking contests, one for high contact and one for holding the man.  In fact, it is very clear that the umpires did not adjudicate De Koning's ruck contests any differently than they did before the Geelong game

De Koning's technique may have changed marginally in that he is not so blatant when he targets the opposition rucks.  However, it's still the same technique, just more effective than it was.

Chris Scott has nowhere near the influence that you credit him with.  On the other hand, I suspect the AFL listens carefully to comments and suggestions from Princes Park.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #111
One point that probably needs to be made is that Cripps is a fan of having Pittonet in the side....and it kind of showed.

Has years of my stats not provided enough evidence of Pittonets elite tap work? You have to wait and hear it from Cripps?  :P

Reply #112
Has years of my stats not provided enough evidence of Pittonets elite tap work? You have to wait and hear it from Cripps?  :P

I stopped reading after "years of my stats." :P  :P  ;D  ;D

Reply #113
I stopped reading after "years of my stats." :P  :P  ;D  ;D
Better would have been analysis, but ..... sounds about right. :P

Reply #114
ANATOMY OF A FORWARDLINE IN FLOW
It was the six-pack in just over six minutes that won Carlton the game in a seesawing clash with GWS, and a perfect reflection of how the Blues forwardline works when at its best.

While missing Sam Taylor, the Giants had the tall timber to at least keep the Blues in check, with Jack Buckley, Harry Himmelberg and Leek Aleer all in defence.
The six-goal burst – all kicked by the big three Carlton talls – that won the match in the third quarter last week came thanks to separation.

Curnow kicked the first goal, with small Corey Durdin putting in just enough of a lead – a “duel-threat pattern” – to not allow Himmelberg to come over the top, creating room for Curnow to mark over Buckley.
About a minute later, Blues Matt Cottrell and Blake Acres pulled away from the dangerous room in front of McKay, allowing him to lead into open space and a chest mark, while Curnow kept well clear in the goalsquare.

The next goal came after McKay forced a turnover on the wing, with Curnow the deepest forward and with acres of space to use and mark in the goalsquare.

By now, De Koning had moved from the ruck to the forwardline and the Blues had their preferred centre bounce combination of Sam Walsh, Patrick Cripps, Marc Pittonet and George Hewett in the guts.

That quartet won 12 centre bounces and lost just one last weekend, leading to nine inside-50s and five scores.

Walsh ran clear from the bounce and De Koning kept his opponent away for just long enough for McKay to earn a free kick in a one-on-one contest with Himmelberg.
Goal No.5 saw McKay and Curnow again keeping their distance, standing 20m apart inside 50, and Orazio Fantasia could clearly see Curnow in a one-on-one with Buckley.

The kick was a scrubber but Curnow was good enough to pick it up and snap truly on the left as a frustrated Buckley threw his mouthguard to the turf.

Curnow became the highest tall forward for the final goal, leaving McKay and De Koning deep and isolated, with De Koning marking on his chest after a quick rebound from defence.

In six minutes of gametime, the Blues erased a 20-point deficit and now led by 17 thanks to three Curnow goals, two to McKay and one to De Koning.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!