Skip to main content
Topic: JLT Round 1 - Blues v Hird's Old Crew (this Thursday, Princes Park) (Read 24930 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT Round 1 - Blues v Hird's Old Crew (this Thursday, Princes Park)

Reply #180
We had quite a few players that look good in traffic on Thursday night, calm aware and not panicking, but it is only JLT.

I thought our tackling was better, but I thought our shrugging of tackles or freeing our arms was still poor compared to better stoppage sides. Compared to many teams we just allow ourselves to be tackled.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #181
When teamed up with Cripps, you have a great 1-2 punch.
Agreed - also - Cripps to Fisher was a real feature of the game. They are good mates I think and the way they played the other night was just about joined at the hip. Fisher will be good for 10 pos per game straight off Cripps.

Reply #182
What I got out of this match was that Essendon still don't have enough players who go in and get the ball. When they get the ball they were devastating, but I have a feeling that their players' mindset is one of receiving the ball rather than going in to get it. They have Smith, Shiel, Heppell, McGrath & Tipungwuti who get the ball, but I am not sure it is a team culture to go and win the ball. For two and half quarters we were all over them, when we got out to six goals with eased back due to the heat and because it was only a JLT match, Essendon roared back when the pressure was off and got to within a kick, but the Carlton re-asserted the pressure and kicked the two of the last three goals.
Our pressure round the ball was really good however our cohesion is still lacking. Compared to Essendon, and Hawthorn the week before, our ball movement is not good. We still miss too many targets. Against Hawthorn I thought our ball movement out of defence was too slow, however I thought that only once in the second quarter did we do that sideway kicking and back again, hanging onto the ball and losing ground, then letting the pressure build up, then losing the ball and costing a goal situation which made up most of our defensive game plan last year. So that was an improvement.
It is clear that into the future we have two mid-field superstars in Cripps & Walsh, we have four very good quick mid-fielders in Cuningham, Fisher, Dow & Petrovski-Seaton, three big bodied inside mids in Kennedy, Setterfield and Stocker and we have guys who can run through the mid-field in Gibbons, JSilvagni, O'Brien, Lang, Garlett, Pickett & Polson. It is also clear we have key forwards in McKay, Curnow & McGovern, with back ups in JSilvagni, Kerr & DeKonning, While down back we have Weitering and people like Marchbank, McCreadie and BSilvagni who will need to step up.
I think we will be very dependent on the senior players, Murphy, Simpson, Kreuzer, Jones, Thomas, Curnow, Fasolo, Phillips, Lobe & Casboult standing up when they play this year, but I think the future looks bright.

Reply #183
What I got out of this match was that Essendon still don't have enough players who go in and get the ball. When they get the ball they were devastating, but I have a feeling that their players' mindset is one of receiving the ball rather than going in to get it. They have Smith, Shiel, Heppell, McGrath & Tipungwuti who get the ball, but I am not sure it is a team culture to go and win the ball. For two and half quarters we were all over them, when we got out to six goals with eased back due to the heat and because it was only a JLT match, Essendon roared back when the pressure was off and got to within a kick, but the Carlton re-asserted the pressure and kicked the two of the last three goals.

I agree 100%, we were still too reliant on Cripps winning the inside football and dishing off to a outside runner, if left us very vulnerable when as you stated CheatsFC had everyone in the center contributing evenly.

When Cripps wins the ball it's great, when he doesn't it's awful!

It will be interesting to see the Rnd 1 mix, I'll spit chips if umpires penalise Cripps for high fend offs playing against Dusty! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #184
Cripps will always be our star clearance player but I don't think everyone else was horrible and just sat out waiting for Cripps to get it. I thought we beat them comprehensively around the contests especially the clearances. Our rucks do look for Crippa a hell of a lot.

Ess do not have many inside mids though which has been their problem for a long time.

Reply #185
Cripps will always be our star clearance player but I don't think everyone else was horrible and just sat out waiting for Cripps to get it. I thought we beat them comprehensively around the contests especially the clearances. Our rucks do look for Crippa a hell of a lot.

Ess do not have many inside mids though which has been their problem for a long time.

The more we get the likes of Setterfield, Kennedy, Dow, SPS, Fisher and Walsh in the middle this season and Cripps out, the better we will be long term.
These guys have to learn to win their own ball without Cripps constantly dishing it out to them.

Reply #186
The more we get the likes of Setterfield, Kennedy, Dow, SPS, Fisher and Walsh in the middle this season and Cripps out, the better we will be long term.
These guys have to learn to win their own ball without Cripps constantly dishing it out to them.

Yes I agree 100%, it'll be interesting to see how BB gets improvement out of them.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #187

JH, out where? Why would you play the best clearance player in the comp anywhere other than in the middle? I don't think the others need Cripps to not be there in order to learn.

Reply #188
JH, out where? Why would you play the best clearance player in the comp anywhere other than in the middle? I don't think the others need Cripps to not be there in order to learn.

The reason is to spread the load, and be less predictable.
We don't need Cripps bashed into submission over the next 3 years

It is the same reason that as good as Tony Lockett was, he never played in a premiership.
Nor did Garry Ablett.
The Hawks lost Buddy but to everyone's amazement probably improved their total forward line because they were less predictable.

I am not suggesting he doesn't play there at all, just more time out of the middle so others grown and flourish.

Reply #189

It is the same reason that as good as Tony Lockett was, he never played in a premiership.
Nor did Garry Ablett.
The Hawks lost Buddy but to everyone's amazement probably improved their total forward line because they were less predictable.

I am not suggesting he doesn't play there at all, just more time out of the middle so others grown and flourish.

I concur, variety is the spice of life, if you eat the world's best curry everyday it soon loses it's appeal.

Running Cripps into the ground won't just be a long term physical issue, it'll become a mental issue as well.

Let's set Cripps up to be a 10 year captain, not retiring or being traded in 5 years, hopefully but not repeating the errors that saw Judd run himself into the ground. I want Cripps retiring in a decade from now with three flags to his name together with Carlton and AFL Legend status in the bag. "If" he stays physically and mentally fresh he will continue to improve for the next five years! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #190

Nor did Garry Ablett.

Fair call, JH. Apologies - misunderstood your suggestion.

Reply #191
As good as Cripps is at getting the ball he's only going to be properly destructive if he's got a fast skillful player to dish it out to. Fisher and Walsh in particular. 

I like the thought but there is zero chance of BB significantly reducing Cripps presence at the contest- especially centre clearances with the 6-6-6 rule.

Reply #192
I think Cripps will get a chop out vs the lesser teams with less heavy duty midfields when we are going ok  but I think vs the better midfields he will play his usual midfield role minutes....
Bolton is playing for keeps this season and his job is on the line IMO and he wont want to be getting too cute and resting his gun mid/captain unless we are going very well in games....

Reply #193
As good as Cripps is at getting the ball he's only going to be properly destructive if he's got a fast skillful player to dish it out to. Fisher and Walsh in particular. 

I like the thought but there is zero chance of BB significantly reducing Cripps presence at the contest- especially centre clearances with the 6-6-6 rule.

Yes, Cripps will have far more time and space than he's ever had before. He will probably be left where he is to make most use of it.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #194
I think Cripps will get a chop out vs the lesser teams with less heavy duty midfields when we are going ok  but I think vs the better midfields he will play his usual midfield role minutes....
Bolton is playing for keeps this season and his job is on the line IMO and he wont want to be getting too cute and resting his gun mid/captain unless we are going very well in games....

Agreed