Skip to main content
Topic: JLT Round 1 - Blues v Hird's Old Crew (this Thursday, Princes Park) (Read 25243 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT Round 1 - Blues v Hird's Old Crew (this Thursday, Princes Park)

Reply #30
Looks like we retired Rowe a year too early IMHO.

Could be right there Thry.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #32
But every other team is going to play two ruckmen.  The rule changes, and particularly the one about taking possession in a ruck contest not being prior opportunity, mean that teams simply can't afford not to have a genuine ruckman at every ruck contest.  I wouldn't like to see Kreuzer trying to take on Gawn and Preuss with only Harry as back up.  If Melbourne rest Gawn or Preuss in their forward line, why not get Lobbe to play as a defensive resting ruckman.

It will be very interesting to see how we fit two rucks into the 22 ... and we will have to find a way.

Fortunately for us, if he stays on the park, Kreuz plays as a tall RR whereas Flip and Lobbe are more your traditional ruckman. Maybe today's hitout is to see who partners up with Kreuz (out of Flip and Lobbe).

Good to see Polson named at CHB, he'll more than match it with the CHFs, speed wise, getting to the aggott... then he'll gnaw on their knees and put them off.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #33

Good to see Polson named at CHB, he'll more than match it with the CHFs, speed wise, getting to the aggott... then he'll gnaw on their knees and put them off.

Always full of surprises, is Bolts!

Reply #34
Might be horses for courses with ruckman....dont see us playing two genuine rucks every game, same with other teams...dont see Gawn and Pruess playing every game together either unless its to gang up on a player like Sandilands or combat another another team playing two genuine ruckman.

IMO we will go with Kreuzer and Harry only more often than not.......maybe the first few games we might get Kruezer with another ruckman like Philips or Lobbe but I think getting caught with a ruckman only stiff who cant play anywhere else will limit teams flexibility.
I'd rather play DeKoning with Kreuzer if we have to play two rucks...the former can play down forward and would benefit playing with MK.....

Reply #35
Fortunately for us, if he stays on the park, Kreuz plays as a tall RR whereas Flip and Lobbe are more your traditional ruckman. Maybe today's hitout is to see who partners up with Kreuz (out of Flip and Lobbe).

How did you get your hands on Bolton's instructions Baggers?

Interestingly, Gawn rates Kreuzer as his most difficult opponent:

“Matthew Kreuzer is probably the one that I rate the highest.

“His work rate, he keeps you very honest and he’s added this part to his game where he can mark and kick goals, which as a ruckman, seems to be one that you’re most scared of when they go and impact the scoreboard.”

Let's he does impact the scoreboard this season or at least draw a defender away from the triumvirate.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #36
Might be horses for courses with ruckman....dont see us playing two genuine rucks every game, same with other teams...dont see Gawn and Pruess playing every game together either unless its to gang up on a player like Sandilands or combat another another team playing two genuine ruckman.

IMO we will go with Kreuzer and Harry only more often than not.......maybe the first few games we might get Kruezer with another ruckman like Philips or Lobbe but I think getting caught with a ruckman only stiff who cant play anywhere else will limit teams flexibility.
I'd rather play DeKoning with Kreuzer if we have to play two rucks...the former can play down forward and would benefit playing with MK.....

Jones can ruck too, as could Charlie in small doses....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #37
What;s Rowe got to do with anything?

Rowe was a Ruckman fashioned into a gorilla minder Defender who has shown reasonable ability to play forward if/when required.

Our defense is looking very light on for options with the question marks over Marchbank and Macreadie (Goddard is not a convincing option at AFL level yet) so using Jones in the ruck is a problem because we are robbing Peter to pay Paul without the options to back fill Paul (perhaps shifting McGovern back for periods might work, but thats the only consideration that works.

Besides that, given the durability of Phillips and Kreuzer, Lobbe's lack of exposed form, Tom De Koning's youth, and Harry's requirement to be used in the forwardline, a defender who can actually relief ruck against competent ruckmen (unlike Levi) allows us better flexibility than cheating with one of Charlie Curnow, Liam Jones, or Harry McKay in the case that we start Phillips or Kreuzer and have a break down.

Rowe was aggressive, and would genuinely halve a ruck contest at worst.  Levi is a battler at best, and at worst non competitive and gets smashed in the ruck because he isnt physical enough, and relies on having "the perfect sit".

The one key attribute that you need all your footballers to have, is tenacity.  It makes ordinary look extraordinary.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #38
Rowe was a Ruckman fashioned into a gorilla minder Defender who has shown reasonable ability to play forward if/when required.

Our defense is looking very light on for options with the question marks over Marchbank and Macreadie (Goddard is not a convincing option at AFL level yet) so using Jones in the ruck is a problem because we are robbing Peter to pay Paul without the options to back fill Paul (perhaps shifting McGovern back for periods might work, but thats the only consideration that works.

Besides that, given the durability of Phillips and Kreuzer, Lobbe's lack of exposed form, Tom De Koning's youth, and Harry's requirement to be used in the forwardline, a defender who can actually relief ruck against competent ruckmen (unlike Levi) allows us better flexibility than cheating with one of Charlie Curnow, Liam Jones, or Harry McKay in the case that we start Phillips or Kreuzer and have a break down.

Rowe was aggressive, and would genuinely halve a ruck contest at worst.  Levi is a battler at best, and at worst non competitive and gets smashed in the ruck because he isnt physical enough, and relies on having "the perfect sit".

The one key attribute that you need all your footballers to have, is tenacity.  It makes ordinary look extraordinary.

I think you're way overselling Rowe's ability and effectiveness as a ruck....

And I remain to be convinced many clubs, if any, will play two legitimate rucks....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #39
So we needed to keep Rowe to ruck?
In addition to the 2 backup rucks plus Harry and Cas?
Not for me.

Reply #40
So we needed to keep Rowe to ruck?
In addition to the 2 backup rucks plus Harry and Cas?
Not for me.
At least he would've got his name on a locker :o
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #41
Northern Blues lead Port Melbourne 33-12 at qtr time.

Reply #42
At least he would've got his name on a locker :o

And that’s the only sound argument for keeping him on.

For the record, Rowe was recruited to play as a key forward.  He wasn’t up to it and was re-invented as an adequate key defender.  He did fill in as a ruckman but not with any success.  Levi is a more accomplished ruckman and that says more about Rowe’s limitations than Levi’s prowess.

My preference would be to play Kreuzer with De Koning as second ruck but I think we’ll have to wait to see how things play out on the two rucks front.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #43
For those without Fox Footy this should be live on Kayo, sign up for a free trial.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
For those without Fox Footy this should be live on Kayo, sign up for a free trial.

Ready & waiting. It looks good so far and it looks like they have sorted the audio sync issue on Telstra TV.
Reality always wins in the end.