Skip to main content
Topic: A Rapid Rise Would Not Surprise. (Read 40418 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: A Rapid Rise Would Not Surprise.

Reply #105
How is it  we compare Mark LeCras and Jack Silvagni?......one is a small forward and the other plays mainly as a 3rd tall forward..

LeCras is a clever small to mid forward(182cm) who was a great kick for goal and had some tricks, also was very good over head for his size...
Jack is a 3rd tall forward around the McGovern size who has been tried as a tall onballer and a half back flanker..
IMO two different players, Jack is honest, tries hard but now McGovern has arrived is out of a job..

Because he is the son of a legendary player and now list manager he will get extra opportunities to find a position but has his work cut out unless
we have massive injuries. Setterfield is the new tall mid and we have half back flankers on tap now with Docherty, Williamson and Newman back/onboard.

Jack is jack of all trades but master of none unfortunately....he will become a delist candidate down the track given we are weeding out the spuds and will have less options
to chop if things go to plan, However the rookie list will probably be his saviour as I dont see his father or the club sending him on his way in a undignified manner...

You can't be talking about SOJ because he simply doesn't play as a tall forward of any description.  He spent a lot of 2018 in defence and in the midfield but, when he was in the forward line, his role is more of a small to medium forward.  Yes, he does take the odd contested mark but his strengths as a forward are more about getting into space and judging the fall of the ball. 

I reckon Jeza's comparison with Le Cras is a worthwhile exercise and it's interesting to compare their stats at the same age; SOJ just pips Le Cras  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #106
You can't be talking about SOJ because he simply doesn't play as a tall forward of any description.  He spent a lot of 2018 in defence and in the midfield but, when he was in the forward line, his role is more of a small to medium forward.  Yes, he does take the odd contested mark but his strengths as a forward are more about getting into space and judging the fall of the ball. 

I reckon Jeza's comparison with Le Cras is a worthwhile exercise and it's interesting to compare their stats at the same age; SOJ just pips Le Cras  :)

DJ.....Lecras 182cm/82kg...Jack 191cm/89kg...............I'm getting old but my maths is still ok ;)  Jack IMO is a 3rd tall forward and has no resemblance to a small forward...
Jack is actually 1cm taller than McGovern, if he plays as a small forward he would be the slowest small forward on this planet or any other planet.

Alex Fasalo is your Mark Lecras comparison player 181cm/84kg......good overhead, can snap/crumb a goal and leads well...plays the same way IMO.....

Dont get me wrong...I like Jack, think he has handled himself well and has a fair weight of expectation to carry around which is a tough gig for a young kid...but he wasnt pick 53 for nothing.....his TAC form was reasonable without being fantastic and he has been handy at senior level at times but as the list improves and we get some better talented kids in the team he will struggle to keep a place as he has his limitations.
Charlie, McGovern, Harry, Fazzy boy.........dont see room for Jack except as backup.....
It shows the list is improving which is a good sign but there has to be some casualties and Jack is lucky he will get more opportunities than most but unless he improves his skills, pace and can find a role he can make his own I cant see him in the senior team unless we get another massive injury list in 2019...ditto for his mate Cuningham....
If you asked most on this forum to pick a best 22 I think you would find most couldnt find a spot for Jack......?

Reply #107
DJ.....Lecras 182cm/82kg...Jack 191cm/89kg...............I'm getting old but my maths is still ok ;)  Jack IMO is a 3rd tall forward and has no resemblance to a small forward...
Jack is actually 1cm taller than McGovern, if he plays as a small forward he would be the slowest small forward on this planet or any other planet.

Alex Fasalo is your Mark Lecras comparison player 181cm/84kg......good overhead, can snap/crumb a goal and leads well...plays the same way IMO.....

Dont get me wrong...I like Jack, think he has handled himself well and has a fair weight of expectation to carry around which is a tough gig for a young kid...but he wasnt pick 53 for nothing.....his TAC form was reasonable without being fantastic and he has been handy at senior level at times but as the list improves and we get some better talented kids in the team he will struggle to keep a place as he has his limitations.
Charlie, McGovern, Harry, Fazzy boy.........dont see room for Jack except as backup.....
It shows the list is improving which is a good sign but there has to be some casualties and Jack is lucky he will get more opportunities than most but unless he improves his skills, pace and can find a role he can make his own I cant see him in the senior team unless we get another massive injury list in 2019...ditto for his mate Cuningham....
If you asked most on this forum to pick a best 22 I think you would find most couldnt find a spot for Jack......?

I know that Jack and McGovern are around the same size but they don't play the same way.  McGovern plays like a genuine tall and Jack is an opportunist ... like LeCras, but with extra size.

I agree that he will struggle to get a game unless he can settle into a role that he can do better than anyone else.  His versatility is a strength but he has to find a way to compensate for his lack of pace and make sure that his kicking for goal is spot on.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #108

I agree - I wouldn't have Jack in my best 22 at the minute. His form was sketchy last year. Uncharacteristic fumbles and seemed to second-guess himself a fair bit. 20 years old though so drawing conclusions one way or another is madness.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on Lecras - I did point out quite early on Jack was taller but plays in a similar style. Lecras doesn't really play a small crumbing forward role like an Eddie / Garlett if you ask me. I mean - he bears no resemblance to that type of player at all - but as I say - we'll agree to disagree.

Reply #109
AFL aren't banking on it  going by the fixture.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #110
LeCras is definitely an opportunistic forward and very dangerous near goal, but he is nothing like the classic small fast fwd such as Eddie. I don't know where Jack fits in here - LeCras wouldn't have been someone I would have thought of comparing him to that's for sure.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #112
Well we know we lost him to an academy bid, so no doubt we had intended to take him!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #113
I actually think he and Newman will be the best of our recruits.

Reply #115
He didn't, he bid on him at 6, GWS matched then he picked SPS

Reply #117
Looking forward to seeing Setterfield get an injury free run at it. SOS is a pretty good judge so if he had him at 1 he must be a handy player. We cant have enough young midfielders on the list.

Reply #118
Looking forward to seeing Setterfield get an injury free run at it. SOS is a pretty good judge so if he had him at 1 he must be a handy player. We cant have enough young midfielders on the list.

Agree...be good to be able to rest Cripps and not lose anything in the clearances when he isnt there, at the moment as soon as Cripps goes forward or off the ground
we get slaughtered around the ball. Think I read we only had two players in the top 100 for clearances and two in the top one hundred for contested possessions ...Cripps and Ed Curnow in both categories.
Not going to win too many games with those stats......so Setterfield and Kennedy need to play their part and get in the top 100 in both those areas
Melbourne had eight players in the top 100 for contested ball, Collingwood nine, West Coast seven, Richmond seven, ....

Its not rocket science...we dont have enough players putting the head over the ball or playing 100 minutes of contested footy......think we were last in forward entries too.....
No surprise either that Cripps and Ed Curnow lead in these areas of us......they give you 100 minutes of effort each week....Ed can butcher the footy but he always gives you effort...
If we can get 5 players in the top 100 of those key two areas ie Clearances/Contested we win games and become competitive again.....

Reply #119
The Bomber would have picked him up at number 1 but didn't want the embarrassment of GWS taking him.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!