Skip to main content
Topic: A Rapid Rise Would Not Surprise. (Read 40177 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: A Rapid Rise Would Not Surprise.

Reply #120
Agree...be good to be able to rest Cripps and not lose anything in the clearances when he isnt there, at the moment as soon as Cripps goes forward or off the ground
we get slaughtered around the ball. Think I read we only had two players in the top 100 for clearances and two in the top one hundred for contested possessions ...Cripps and Ed Curnow in both categories.
Not going to win too many games with those stats......so Setterfield and Kennedy need to play their part and get in the top 100 in both those areas
Melbourne had eight players in the top 100 for contested ball, Collingwood nine, West Coast seven, Richmond seven, ....

Its not rocket science...we dont have enough players putting the head over the ball or playing 100 minutes of contested footy......think we were last in forward entries too.....
No surprise either that Cripps and Ed Curnow lead in these areas of us......they give you 100 minutes of effort each week....Ed can butcher the footy but he always gives you effort...
If we can get 5 players in the top 100 of those key two areas ie Clearances/Contested we win games and become competitive again.....

Three players in the top 100 for contested possessions; Cripps, Curnow and Kreuzer.  Five players in the top 100 for clearances; Cripps, Curnow, Kreuzer, Fisher and Murphy.

Your point is well made though EB, we need more blokes winning contests if we are to improve ... and we need Kreuzer and Murphy to stay on the park.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #121
Any exactly why a Mick Barlow type is so, so necessary.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #122
Any exactly why a Mick Barlow type is so, so necessary.

Barlow didn’t play enough games to make the player rankings but his averages from his three games has him well outside the top 100 for clearances.  His 14 contested possessions against Geelong bumps his average up to around the 50 mark.  Without that effort, he would be outside the top 100.

It’s interesting that Gold Coast virtually refused to play Barlow given his performances in the NEAFL.  They mustn’t have an elite midfielder that needs support  ;)

I doubt whether there will be many rejects with top 100 stats and I would prefer to see us demanding that our youngsters step up.

Interestingly, Gibbs is well inside the top 50 for contested possessions and clearances - areas where I didn’t think he’d be missed.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #123
Barlow didn’t play enough games to make the player rankings but his averages from his three games has him well outside the top 100 for clearances.  His 14 contested possessions against Geelong bumps his average up to around the 50 mark.  Without that effort, he would be outside the top 100.

It’s interesting that Gold Coast virtually refused to play Barlow given his performances in the NEAFL.  They mustn’t have an elite midfielder that needs support  ;)

I doubt whether there will be many rejects with top 100 stats and I would prefer to see us demanding that our youngsters step up.

Interestingly, Gibbs is well inside the top 50 for contested possessions and clearances - areas where I didn’t think he’d be missed.

Dew seems to have an issue with a few players, wouldnt play Barlow, didnt like Lyons either...both are great contested ball winners........think the season before Lyons was top ten in the comp for clearances...then gets delisted.... ???

Reply #124
Like I said, he nicked the pies from the warmer.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?