Skip to main content
Topic: I like the like (Karma) function !! (Read 17516 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: I like the like (Karma) function !!

Reply #30
For the same reason I didn't like the posts being shown on the other site, I don't really like this function personally, but it seems the majority does, so this is just a dissenting view.

I think it encourages people just posting a heap of stuff and people ganging up on one another with back slaps when someone posts a view that mirrors their own. I am not big on that sort of function. Personally I also think it would be worth removing the dislike element if possible, I know I seen someone with a negative post and was going to just go about liking a post to bring them back into the positive. They are a controversial poster, but someone I do respect even if I don't always agree, but they were always likely to at some stage end up 'negative'.

Where I think a 'like' feature (with the points accumulated) comes in well is a tech forum, where it is important to know the posters that regularly provide strong technical answers to solutions so you know when to 'listen'. Another way it could work is for a like/dislike option, but the liker/dislikers names are published and they are not accumulated.

Anyway this goes against the grain and is more likely to be seen as a criticism of the site, rather than just a dissenting view, so 'dislike' way  :P
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #31
Hehe thanks MIO......I think?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #32
 ;)
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #33
I think it works better if you can see on the actual post who has liked and disliked the post. Hardly worth adding a like/dislike if it gets hidden.

Reply #34
Yep..  It will sort out the crape posters from the good ones.  :P

I've only seen 1 person with a negative rating thus far.
Looks like its me.. I'm as popular here as I was over the old place..

I like you....and I just put you closer to zero.  ;)

I was also in the negative a few days back, it can turn around pretty quick if someone likes your posts.

Haha thanks mate. I think you and me will be always one post away from being back into the negative..
That's what happens sometimes when you don't conform..  ;D

@ BJ

I found that out pretty damn quick.  O0

Reply #35
For the same reason I didn't like the posts being shown on the other site, I don't really like this function personally, but it seems the majority does, so this is just a dissenting view.

I think it encourages people just posting a heap of stuff and people ganging up on one another with back slaps when someone posts a view that mirrors their own. I am not big on that sort of function. Personally I also think it would be worth removing the dislike element if possible, I know I seen someone with a negative post and was going to just go about liking a post to bring them back into the positive. They are a controversial poster, but someone I do respect even if I don't always agree, but they were always likely to at some stage end up 'negative'.

Where I think a 'like' feature (with the points accumulated) comes in well is a tech forum, where it is important to know the posters that regularly provide strong technical answers to solutions so you know when to 'listen'. Another way it could work is for a like/dislike option, but the liker/dislikers names are published and they are not accumulated.

Anyway this goes against the grain and is more likely to be seen as a criticism of the site, rather than just a dissenting view, so 'dislike' way  :P

MIO, you've been on fire with everything you've posted lately, and this is no exception. Fully agree - the like / smite thingy is bordering on juvenile. If you don't agree with a post, why not just post and say "I don't agree" ?

Reply #36
If you don't agree with a post, why not just post and say "I don't agree" ?

The idea of a forum I would have thought. You can agree or disagree within the thread, otherwise everything may as well be a poll. ;)
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #37
I have to say, I started this thread thinking that the Karma function was for individual posts, not to the poster in general.
Now that I know better what it really is, I'll admit that I'm not a fan as all it is likely to do is create a popularity contest and won't really mean much.
If it could be changed, that would be great, if not, I reckon it would be better off being removed.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #38
Do people really care what others think of them?