Skip to main content
Topic: Anzac Day in NZ (Read 8899 times) previous topic - next topic

Anzac Day in NZ

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2014-10-24/blues-to-face-saints-in-new-zealand

The Australian Football League (AFL) today announced St Kilda would host Carlton in Wellington New Zealand as the opening game on Saturday April 25, 2015, to mark the 100th anniversary of the landing at Gallipoli.

In 2015, Anzac Day will fall on a Saturday and the AFL will play five matches throughout the day and evening across New Zealand and Australia, including the traditional Essendon / Collingwood afternoon match at the MCG. The full fixture for the Anzac Day Round and the 2015 Toyota AFL Premiership Season will be released next Thursday, October 3

Interestingly the Collingwood/ Essendon match wont be a stand alone.
Is that a move being made because of an expected lack of Essendon participants at that stage of the season? ;)

Re: Anzac Day in NZ

Reply #1
The AFL must really hate us!

So much for learning and listening from last years disasters!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
Is this a permanent arrangement?
Does this explain the increased membership costs for us next year?

Reply #3

If anything we should have reduced Membership costs, especially for home and away memberships. That's one less game in Melbourne for us to go to.

It won't be a permanent arrangement I don't think. We're the 3rd team to play against the Saints in NZ in the 3 years they've held the games.

Reply #4
Should be a big game actually with the 100 year anniversary.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #5

No chance of watching it up against the Melbourne based game though!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6

If anything we should have reduced Membership costs, especially for home and away memberships. That's one less game in Melbourne for us to go to.

It won't be a permanent arrangement I don't think. We're the 3rd team to play against the Saints in NZ in the 3 years they've held the games.

Saints home game and we'll probably get one less interstate trip. So it shouldn't impact membership prices.

I think that's a good outcome, as long as we don't get a 5 day turn around or something silly like that.

Reply #7
They will knock us off mark it down now as a loss.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #8

If it's the opening game and with the time difference the NZ game will probably be over before the game at the 'G'

Hopefully the league has the sense (and respect) to not have the game clash with the traditional marches.

Reply #9

If it's the opening game and with the time difference the NZ game will probably be over before the game at the 'G'

Yes, they say kick-off is 11am AEST. But that would mean Ch.7 interrupting usual Anzac Day programming to broadcast the game, can you imagine that happening? I cannot see them or Foxtel ditching their usual Anzac Day pre-game.

But regardless, what we should really be outraged about is that CheatsFC retains Anzac Day and will forever sully the event!

I mean JHird strides out on the MCG on Anzac Day like some sort of glorious wounded gladiator, his head will swell so much it might explode!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
This may have PR disaster written all over it.
11.00am would likely clash with the National Ceremony in Canberra

(this year 10.15-12.00)

Reply #11
This may have PR disaster written all over it.
11.00am would likely clash with the National Ceremony in Canberra

(this year 10.15-12.00)

Well one good thing, the AFL management is making our clubs Admin look competent! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12

Hopefully the league has the sense (and respect) to not have the game clash with the traditional marches.

They're allowed to broadcast games purely on the digital channels and not simulcast on the regular channels now, I believe.

Still, you're right... Not a great look.

Reply #13
I heard on SEN before that the only way they got approval to show the game was via Fox Footy.

Off to the pub on Anzac day it is, although Ill be really miffed if they make you stand for a minutes silence halfway through the first quarter.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #14
Off to the pub on Anzac day it is, although Ill be really miffed if they make you stand for a minutes silence halfway through the first quarter.

Sorry Thry, Anzac Day trading hours pubs open at Midday.

And if you are in WA the game will be over before pubs and clubs even open!
The Force Awakens!