Skip to main content
Topic: Lyon V Brownless Stoush (Read 59207 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Lyon V Brownless Stoush

Reply #135
@EB1
West Heidelberg was literally the wild west show when I first arrived in Melbourne in the 1970s. I know as I lived very close in the early days and we used to sometimes go there to shop - until we learned better! A very different place these days and agree, likely to keep improving due to its location not too far from the city.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #136
@EB1
West Heidelberg was literally the wild west show when I first arrived in Melbourne in the 1970s. I know as I lived very close in the early days and we used to sometimes go there to shop - until we learned better! A very different place these days and agree, likely to keep improving due to its location not too far from the city.

Cookie, Yep funny place is Heidelberg....you have the extreme wealthy extending to Eaglemont, Ivanhoe and then you have the West end where probably the Olympic Village area is the poorest with
a high crime and violence rate. There was a little shopping centre near the village that always had the shops bordered up with tin sheets and looked like a scene from Northern Ireland at its worst.
We sometimes shop at Warringal as we have some friends who live in the area and you get to see the blend of people from all areas and its a real contrast..
Give it a few years and the west part will be a nice place to live IMO and I hope they look after the 2000 or so residents who live in public housing, we did it tough when I was a kid and
I dont like seeing the less fortunate forgotten about or just discarded into another poor housing estate somewhere else...

Reply #137
Could be a great investment EB, being so close to the city it will eventually come good.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #138
One of my schoolmates lived in West Heidelberg and it was always an interesting experience staying at his place.

The butcher at the old Olympic Village shopping centre sells camel meat if anyone's interested.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #139
Could be a great investment EB, being so close to the city it will eventually come good.

It will Carrots..already developer's are moving in and building unit complexes etc and being so close to Northland shops, hospitals, rail etc it has all the facilities you need....
Reckon its a gold mine in the making and all those old housing commish homes will be sold off to developers and the Govt will make squillions...

Reply #140
It will Carrots..already developer's are moving in and building unit complexes etc and being so close to Northland shops, hospitals, rail etc it has all the facilities you need....
Reckon its a gold mine in the making and all those old housing commish homes will be sold off to developers and the Govt will make squillions...

Most of the Housing Commission homes are in private ownership.  Friends of mine bought one in the late 80s and sold it (with modest renovations) in the mid 90s for a tidy profit.  The Govt will still make squillions - from stamp duty!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #141
I've lived in the area for 50 years and the development has largely occurred around the suburb in Heidy Heights, Rosanna, MacLeod, West Preston.  West Heidy and the Olympic Village areas are still referred to by the locals as the Bronx..... For good reason.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #142
Eb... At Warringal I've heard people refer to the folks that come from the other side of the Austin as "the other side of the hill" or "Eskimos".    Interesting times at Warringal Village come pension day.... A real education for Eaglemont millionaire matrons picking up cheap groceries at Aldi.

Reply #143

The butcher at the old Olympic Village shopping centre sells camel meat if anyone's interested.

Crab stuffed and herb encrusted ?

Reply #144
One of my schoolmates lived in West Heidelberg and it was always an interesting experience staying at his place.

had my very first souvlaki and my very first taste of barracuda (with chips) at the fish and chippy in the row of shops in Southern Rd up towards the intersection with Rosanna Rd. I think it's still there?

Reply #145
I think you mean Waiora rd but it's still there

Reply #146
I think you mean Waiora rd but it's still there

Thanks Prof, Waiora Rd is right. Good to know the chippy is still there as I used to like their food when I was young and hard-up.

(now I'm old and hard-up!)

Reply #147
@EB1
We used to have an office in Dougharty Rd in 2008-2009, the drive down Liberty Parade at times was very interesting to say the least.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #148
Most of the Housing Commission homes are in private ownership.  Friends of mine bought one in the late 80s and sold it (with modest renovations) in the mid 90s for a tidy profit.  The Govt will still make squillions - from stamp duty!

DJ....A little piece on the Olympic Village residents and some history......

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-09/melbourne-olympic-village-west-heidelberg-doing-it-tough/6916224

You would remember the Olympic basketball courts, they had not changed since the games ..my kids played a bit of domestic vs the Ivanhoe Knights there....they had a lot of trouble working out the ages of their kids did the Knights...U16 kids with beards who drove themselves to games?????

Reply #149
DJ....A little piece on the Olympic Village residents and some history......

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-09/melbourne-olympic-village-west-heidelberg-doing-it-tough/6916224

You would remember the Olympic basketball courts, they had not changed since the games ..my kids played a bit of domestic vs the Ivanhoe Knights there....they had a lot of trouble working out the ages of their kids did the Knights...U16 kids with beards who drove themselves to games?????

My son played domestic basketball there and my sister was asked to sort out some refereeing issues there.  She had taught at the local primary school and knew what she was in for  :)

Ivanhoe Knights; one of the few domestic teams we played against where an all in brawl was likely - and that was my daughter's team.  Actually my son's team came pretty close too, but that was with the Ivanhoe refs  ;)

I enjoyed the time I spent in West Heidelberg but at 16/17 you're six feet tall and bulletproof.  My older brother, who was a copper in Heidelberg Crime Cars, was full of stories about the psychopaths and sociopaths he encountered  :o