Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 48654 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #90

Actually on reflection, there were aspects of last night that suggested that we finally have the framework/skeleton of a decent side with the forward line looking much better...and a few youngsters showing a bit back.

The forward line would be better still minus Casboult, he's a dinosaur from the Brian Taylor days.
Immobile, useless below his knees, poor disposal and ball sense and can only run in straight lines, it's time we abandoned the Levi experiment and stuck with Weitering, Slivagni and McKay if he shapes up.
Small forwards are another matter and a bigger problem for us.
Wright goes OK, just OK, and we all know what Armfield is capable of and it isn't anything flash, likewise Lamb and Sumner.
Boekhorst - meh, Buckley?
Ciaran Byrne should improve our run out of the back half which last night was down to Simpson and Docherty, and Phillips fit would relieve us of the handicap of playing Casboult, but small forwards and another couple of good to very good midfielders are what we desperately need.

The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #91
Also from a tactical point, what should Carlton do?
They should make themselves hard to beat.

Forget the scoring for a moment, forget quick breaks and everyone running forward of the play, concentrate on getting into position and shutting down.

It is ugly and it makes us a mongrel crap team to watch, but it also teaches a hell of a lot of discipline and you don't need talent to be disciplined, you need commitment to the task.

The equivalent is my team in soccer, West Brom, they play ugly, they play without real fullbacks in the traditional sense (well at least without a RB) and they don't sprint forward on breaks, they maintain their positions and they are bloody hard in the tackle. It is ugly, it pisses me off, but clubs hate playing against it and it is effective.

If the club played 75% of the game shutting down their opponent, went back to the early Clarko days of crap football and shutting teams down with anti-social football, I think it would go a long way towards setting this group up.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #92
The blooding of the young kids is all good and well, in fact it is actually perfect.

The thing is that we still have too many players getting games that have NO FUTURE at our club and to me that has to stop (and the whole rant about trading etc).

Play just kids, lose to Richmond by 65 instead of 43, both are embarrassing, but one gives more games to kids to give them a chance to prove themselves.

All of my anger about last night isn't the result or Bolton or anything, it is at our clubs inability to build a list.

Yep, and play David Cuningham and have him at times follow Martin, Prestia, etc around - let him battle with them.

Reply #93
Thought Smedts gave us a something. Exceeded my expectations am deathly would be good to see him get an extended run.

A good least he can pick up the ball in one go, Half volley as well, and keeps his feet well in the contest.

People have very little patience. How good that put best player slast night were 22 and under and played less than 50 games. The skipper and kruezer aside.

Murphy was phenomenal in the third in gettingnis back into it.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #94
Thought Smedts gave us a something. Exceeded my expectations am deathly would be good to see him get an extended run.

A good least he can pick up the ball in one go, Half volley as well, and keeps his feet well in the contest.

People have very little patience. How good that put best player slast night were 22 and under and played less than 50 games. The skipper and kruezer aside.

Murphy was phenomenal in the third in gettingnis back into it.

Yep. Some of our best players were the kids. I have blokes at work saying wow, your kids are good. And, they are!

Reply #95
Also from a tactical point, what should Carlton do?
They should make themselves hard to beat.

Forget the scoring for a moment, forget quick breaks and everyone running forward of the play, concentrate on getting into position and shutting down.

It is ugly and it makes us a mongrel crap team to watch, but it also teaches a hell of a lot of discipline and you don't need talent to be disciplined, you need commitment to the task.

The equivalent is my team in soccer, West Brom, they play ugly, they play without real fullbacks in the traditional sense (well at least without a RB) and they don't sprint forward on breaks, they maintain their positions and they are bloody hard in the tackle. It is ugly, it pisses me off, but clubs hate playing against it and it is effective.

If the club played 75% of the game shutting down their opponent, went back to the early Clarko days of crap football and shutting teams down with anti-social football, I think it would go a long way towards setting this group up.

This is what they did last year.

Also, I have it on pretty trustworthy and reliable authority that Bolton is an eau de toilette to Clarko's pure parfum - i.e exactly the same, just not quite as pazzo. You may yet get your wish.

Reply #96
Green shoots:
- Kreuz looked great
- Picket and SPS look like they ll give the side the zip it needs. They ve got bags oif tricks and pace to burn, and the tackling, WOW!
- Marchbank, Macredie and Plowman will be the cornerstone of our backline for the next 10 years
- Weiters up forward worked
- Young SOS impressed and could ve ended up with 4

Weeds:
- Until such time as this side moves past Thomas, White, Casboult and Sam Rowe,, we will never be a decent outfit. They are all dead set liabilities. I mean, if people are happy for Rowe and White to gift wrap the opposition 4-5 goals every week just because they 'try', then we really are up poo creek.
- Murphy and Gibbs will never be what we want them to be. They're 'cherry on top' midfielders, not the hardworking, down and dirty types they need to be.
- Skills still terrible. Cant remember the last time we were a decent side skills wise.

Reply #97
People have very little patience.

I would not have thought so, I would think most people have been measured throughout years of lack of any real success or any sustained period of looking a genuine premiership threat. The club and it's supporters have never really looked like doing a 'Richmond' with turning on itself they way they do.

I personally like to think I have had a lot of patience with the club, but it is okay to be fed up with yet another year of being one of the worst clubs in the competition as well as having doubts around genuine prospects going forward.

Being short of patience to me would be getting upset 2 years after a tilt at the flag and having to rebuild. We are 15 years since we looked like we were a top 4 club in this competition, save for a small period under Ratten that was ruined by injuries.

Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #98
- Skills still terrible. Cant remember the last time we were a decent side skills wise.

2010-2012

Reply #99
Just keep bringing in the young ones the tide will turn eventually patients is a vertsure

Reply #100
The blooding of the young kids is all good and well, in fact it is actually perfect.

The thing is that we still have too many players getting games that have NO FUTURE at our club and to me that has to stop (and the whole rant about trading etc).

Play just kids, lose to Richmond by 65 instead of 43, both are embarrassing, but one gives more games to kids to give them a chance to prove themselves.

All of my anger about last night isn't the result or Bolton or anything, it is at our clubs inability to build a list.

I agree whole heatedly but you can't do it in a season or two, when you are coming from so far back.
You have to play some senior bodies.

The problem is, our senior guys are not physical.
Levi was pathetic in that push and shove last night.
Martin mauled him and he wanted nothing to do with it.

Levi, Kruezer, Rowe, Cripps and E Curnow must crash bodies.

None of them have elite skills so they must work hard physically.

The last thing we need is our kids learning to play soft

Reply #101
I agree whole heatedly but you can't do it in a season or two, when you are coming from so far back.
You have to play some senior bodies.

I think that is a lie that has become a 'known truth'.
I believe you could play an entire team of under 23s and they would be able to match it. Most often the players are going one for one against their older opponents and neither Weitering or Cripps look overwhelmed by elder opponents, regardless of who is around them.

I completely dismiss the notion that you need bigger older bodies in there. I agree you won't win a flag with just younger players, but I think you get more by building a team where the culture is completely reset and those from an alternate era have no influence on where the club heads.

I would rather Curnow or McKay or Silvagni in our forward line over Casboult every single time, even though Casboult would take more contested marks. If i had 3 spots I would put all three of them in and still leave Casboult out.

Build a team of young , brash, cocky antisocial footballers unburdened by the softly approach our elder players have taken to games for years. I don't want them to be role models to these younger guys, not now, not for 1 more day/game.
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #102
Patience?

Today's children have never seen Carlton as a contender and have seen us win multiple spoons. Remember the pathetic clubs like StKilda and the Brisbane Bears when we were kids?

Well that's Carlton now. Richmond fans were laughing at us last night.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #103
Patience?

Today's children have never seen Carlton as a contender and have seen us win multiple spoons. Remember the pathetic clubs like StKilda and the Brisbane Bears when we were kids?
What SOS, Bolts, MLG  and Trigg have basically had to do is wipe out everything on and off the field pre end of 2015 and basically build a new Club.

Well that's Carlton now. Richmond fans were laughing at us last night.

Tend to agree.
Today's 16 year old would ve seen 4 spoons and only  4 years of finals appearances..... Now that's just SAD!!!

Reply #104
Just like a page that has been copied too many times, and the final copy is just a blurred version of the original, I can kind of see where Bolts is coming from. I can kind of see the Hawthorn influence, I can see just like them, he tried keeping a reasonably settled defense, whilst throwing the forwards and mids all over the park to try and mix things up, and also to try and upset the opposition's rhythm. But I think he upset our rhythm more than the Tiges. Whereas the Hawks look precise, deliberate and purposeful when they do it, we looked random and confused, just doing it because they do it, and because that's what Bolton knows.

Not sure how precise, deliberate and purposeful the Hawks looked after their superdraft in 2004, when they finished 14 out of 16 in 2005 and 11 out of 16 in 2006. We tend to forget that Brisbane had exceptionally lean years before the halcyon days, as did Hawthorn, as did Geelong etc etc etc. 

Ride the bumps and stay resilient!!