Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 546688 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #15
Sack Sutherland.

This whole problem is a result of that weak c#%t bending over for the Indians.
Tell em to take their cash and shove it up their ass.

No more champions league trophy prior to a Test Series

Pick a 16 man squad for Test and one day cricket. Proper cricketers, not Glen Maxwell, X Doherty or Clint McKay. Guys who might become champions of the long game.

Fark off the BIG BASH crap.

If they (CA) are serious about getting back the Ashes, they would cancel the frigging OD series vs India that's been slotted in between the two series !......get ALL the players back in Australia & tell them they ALL MUST play every single shield game (at least 3-4)  before the 1st Test in Brisbane.......Test team to be picked on performances in these games.

You reckon that'll ever happen ?

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #16

If they (CA) are serious about getting back the Ashes, they would cancel the frigging OD series vs India that's been slotted in between the two series !......get ALL the players back in Australia & tell them they ALL MUST play every single shield game (at least 3-4)  before the 1st Test in Brisbane.......Test team to be picked on performances in these games.

How good would that be. For added effect they should play shield in convict threads!

Lets get back to basics.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #17
Sack Sutherland.

Pick a 16 man squad for Test and one day cricket. Proper cricketers, not Glen Maxwell, X Doherty or Clint McKay. Guys who might become champions of the long game.

Good point.....but it wont happen...IPL and its spin offs have ruined test cricket...players like Chris Gayle started the rot by giving test cricket the finger and going for the money.
The only Aus player not really playing IPL has been Clarke and he has been the only Aus player to produce in recent years.....once you get bozo's like Glen Maxwell playing test cricket you know we have hit rock bottom.
IPL playing cricketers wouldnt be at the top of my selection list either, obviously you dont ignore the real champs like Steyn, Dhoni, Clarke, Cook, Smith etc who produce in all forms of cricket but I would be sending a message that bit part IPL players are not test cricketers and wont ever get picked in test squads..
An example would be Agar..if he decided to play IPL then I would be telling him you wont be playing for Australia....

Reply #18
Bird must be played...... bizarre that he wasn't for this Test.

Watson must be dropped - can't get rewarding the carpola he produces...... fly in another 19 YO IF THAT'S ALL WE'VE GOT....

Does Rogers get another go after that deplorable effort?

Way too many NSW guys in the team too. Smith? Meh?

Hughes - double meh.......Shaun Marsh is 6 times the player Hughes could ever be......

Voges? D. Hussey?

Mike Hussey saw the writing in the wall i reckon.

Is Clarke as Captain the problem?!!  ???

Unfortunately Watson is our leading run scorer amongst the top 6 right now and he bowls too. That's not saying anything though as he's averaging 27 for the series. Not necessarily disagreeing but our choices are that bad. At least he half looks like it out there...until he gets his front pad out too far, plays across the line and is LBW. Needs to fix that big time.

Rogers. I think if he gets a score will  be on  his way. 

As I said in  the other thread, get Klinger out of County cricket and Doolan over from South Africa and bat then 3 and 4. Blokes that will put their heads down. Get Fawad and Cummins over from South Africa too, the latter replacing Pattinson. Bat Warner at 6 and hope (being the operative word) he can change a game like Gilchrist sometimes.

Again, as I said on the other thread, we miss Hussey like you wouldn't believe. We're realising now how much he covered the @rse of the batting line up. Often he and Clarke turned 3/40 into 500 with strong resistance from the tail. Now it gets to 6 and just collapses until a 10th wicket stand bails us out.

Maybe try this 12...

Watson
Rogers
Klinger
Doolan
Clarke
Warner
Haddin/Wade
Siddle
Harris
Fawad
Bird
Cummins

Reply #19
The problem CA now has is the selectors have got well and truly behind this group, but have now changed coach.

Don't forget the big part of Mickey Arthurs accepting the job was he was going to be a selector and I suspect his assessment of the players, their strengths and weaknesses and what they can do to improve, went a long way selecting this touring party.

Now we have Boof, he might have a completely different assessment of the same group of players but he has (quite rightly IMO) publicly backed the 18 we have in England.

But really, what choice did he have? Two weeks out from the biggest series in cricket, he can't start questioning these guys ability without the whole house of cards falling down.

it's a fine line. I would love to see the kids given a shot and 3 full tests to cement their spot, but is the best method to put the acid on the top 6 and basically say "it doesn't matter who you are, what your contract status, how many soft drinks your face sell, make runs or you are gone".

Do we play nice with our young kids or just become bloody ruthless with the squad we have and keep being ruthless until someone stands up.?

Tricky.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #20
Rogers is 35 and too old......we need to develop a younger opener who has a sound technique and thats not Warner or Hughes either.
Jordan Silk is a player who I would develop like England have done with Joe Root, good fielder as well......troublemakers like Warner, Watson etc would be finished at test level if it was me coaching/selecting and it would a few years of pain developing a young team but what we have at the moment is a fire fighting band aid approach that wont ever deliver long term sustained success.

I actually think Khawaja and Silk might be a decent opening combo....the former has a sound technique but doesnt have enough shots for me to bat at No 3 and can get bogged down but has the ability to grind and apply himself .

Reply #21
I too would go with Silk and Maddinson as a start. Time for a complete re-build. Others in the frame include Doolan and Burns for top 6 batting spots with either Wade or my preferred option Paine as the keeper for the Aus summer. Cant include Shaun Marsh until he does more IMO. Id like bats who can field preferably too, particularly those that can cathc in the slips and gully would be at the top of my list.

Those to go for me would be - Haddin, Rogers, Hughes, Warner, Watson and Cowan.

Reply #22
 ::)
Sack Sutherland.

Ah, you're a funny man Mal, do you really think that CA would really use that much common sense?!!   ::) ;)

As they say, common sense isn't common any more......
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #23
ffs its a business not a sport.
India has the coin. You think CA care about making champions?

Reply #24
R.I.P
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
Wow.  How did we lose that? 

Takes me back to our brilliant efforts in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in both our games against the cheating Scum this year.  Well done CA!
Reality is an illusion, caused by a lack of alcohol...

Reply #26
Ponting has annointed Steve Smith as the next test captain.........the cupboard is officially bare in terms of captaincy options.... :o

Reply #27
In that case, I'll put my hand up for it. Can't bat, pretty poor bowler too but good in the field... and willing to have a crack at Lara Bingle.  Do I get the job?  >:D
Reality is an illusion, caused by a lack of alcohol...

Reply #28
... and willing to have a crack at Lara Bingle.

There are soooooo many puns and innuendos that go with this statement that I dare not start them!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
In that case, I'll put my hand up for it. Can't bat, pretty poor bowler too but good in the field... and willing to have a crack at Lara Bingle.  Do I get the job?  >:D

Zed ...You were going alright until you mentioned Lara Bingle.....the ACB are actually hoping to appoint someone who hasnt had a crack at Lara Bingle and so far have failed to receive an application... ;)