Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 572677 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1545
I have to stretch my mind back to the 1950s to come up with an Australian test side so mentally fragile and technique deficient when batting. 

Reply #1546
The Yallop era had some horribly fragile sides.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1547
The Yallop era had some horribly fragile sides.

yeah, even the worst batting lineups we had in the mid 80s had at least 1 elite batsman still (Border)...and a few guys who were the future of building the Australian batting lineup...Boon, Jones, Waugh.

This side has not one elite batsman....much akin to the side in 78/79......all be it that was a 2nd 11 side anyway.

The 50s lineups always had Neil Harvey as well.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #1548
Agreed Malo, not one top notch player to rally around,  just a fractured group who are solid at best, erratic at worst and they lack experience and belief.  I can't believe people regard,  for example, Khawaja as a lock,  gees he's erratic and inconsistent.

But there are kids pushing through: Renshaw, Pucovski,  Sangha, Pope, Carey... There's talent coming. Patience grasshopper.

What craps me no end is that yes, it's a solid Indian side,  playing on pitches suited to them,  getting the run of the green.  But some belief and one lousy partnership and we would have gone close to winning this, with an unimaginably weak side.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1549
Agreed Malo, not one top notch player to rally around,  just a fractured group who are solid at best, erratic at worst and they lack experience and belief.  I can't believe people regard,  for example, Khawaja as a lock,  gees he's erratic and inconsistent.

But there are kids pushing through: Renshaw, Pucovski,  Sangha, Pope, Carey... There's talent coming. Patience grasshopper.

What craps me no end is that yes, it's a solid Indian side,  playing on pitches suited to them,  getting the run of the green.  But some belief and one lousy partnership and we would have gone close to winning this, with an unimaginably weak side.

Marsh will lock himself in for the rest of the summer now.......but in getting out for 60 it just proves the point that he's not a top notch Test batsman.

Reply #1550
This Adelaide pitch has a recent history of being a runs bonanza on day 4 of Shield cricket, our test team is making it look like a minefield.

In the first innings our bowlers let India off the hook late, that is a fail, and now we are chasing more than we should have been and making it look like twice as much!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1551
And in spite of everything, we are currently 7/226 ????
We could’ve capitulated and been all out before lunch, at least they are trying...
Small wins, probably a bit like our footy club.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #1552
And in spite of everything, we are currently 7/226 ????
We could’ve capitulated and been all out before lunch, at least they are trying...
Small wins, probably a bit like our footy club.

We do have the batting depth to deliver a result, but even so it would be valid to question why the result needs tail-enders to deliver it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1553
There’s a reason 11 blokes take bats to the game...
Buggar, just lost Stark 8/228 ????????
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #1554
There’s a reason 11 blokes take bats to the game...
Buggar, just lost Stark 8/228 ????????

No doubt, but there are reasons the top-end batsmen should not go out the way ours do!

Really this situation is a consequence of poor bowling and poor batting. In spite of our poor bowling late in the Indian 1st innings the media was all positive, but really India scored 50 more runs that they should have and that was very very bad.

I won't write about our top order batsmen 1st or 2nd innings, their dismissals are frequently self-explanatory.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1555
No doubt, but there are reasons the top-end batsmen should not go out the way ours do!

Really this situation is a consequence of poor bowling and poor batting. In spite of our poor bowling late in the Indian 1st innings the media was all positive, but really India scored 50 more runs that they should have and that was very very bad.

I won't write about our top order batsmen 1st or 2nd innings, their dismissals are frequently self-explanatory.

No doubt.
Two things that have annoyed the crap out of me with the tv commentary:
1/ James Brayshaw
2/ the desperation of the commentators to talk up Australia’s chances
Cringeworthy
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #1556
8/255.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1557
We do have the batting depth to deliver a result, but even so it would be valid to question why the result needs tail-enders to deliver it!

A few batsmen should be having a hard time looking in the mirror right now....

Reply #1558
9/259 Cummins gone
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #1559
A few batsmen should be having a hard time looking in the mirror right now....

Yes, we have a T20 mentality, this loss is a failure of stoicism!

Stop our top test cricketers playing the short form game, and order will be restored.

Do like India, pay them well enough that T20 is not a carrot!
The Force Awakens!