Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 573030 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1590
Finch has been playing in the middle order for Victoria. That is where he should be at this point in his career.
Khawaja looked to be totally out of form in the last test: no big surprise considering the lack of cricket he has had lately. But he has done his best work opening.
Harris probably deserves another try, but I'd like to see some more shots.
I wouldn't have picked Marsh, but that is another tale. He hit his best 4th innings score in the last game, so he saved himself for a little while longer.
Handscomb also needs to play a few more shots. He gets out when he is bogged down.

Look at the coaching names Crashlander, Langer and Hick, while on average they have reasonable figures, reliable grinders would be a good description of their typical game style.

It's still beyond me how guys get to test or 1st class level and have so many quirky traits and defects in their batting. You can't slag off their ability, but the coaches have a lot to answer for in my opinion, they are greatly over-rated.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1591
Heard Warne talking about this today, and I thought he made some good points. Once guys get to Test level you can't change their technique, very minor cosmetic changes only. It's all above the shoulders at that level. He was concerned about what is happening at academy level, with the teenagers and how they are being coached. Noted that when he went to the academy there was Ian and Greg Chappell doing the batting coaching, Rod Marsh for keeping, and Dennis Lillee for the fast bowlers. I'm not sure who is there now, but I doubt we have that type of quality

Reply #1592
Heard Warne talking about this today, and I thought he made some good points. Once guys get to Test level you can't change their technique, very minor cosmetic changes only. It's all above the shoulders at that level. He was concerned about what is happening at academy level, with the teenagers and how they are being coached. Noted that when he went to the academy there was Ian and Greg Chappell doing the batting coaching, Rod Marsh for keeping, and Dennis Lillee for the fast bowlers. I'm not sure who is there now, but I doubt we have that type of quality

Jack...Ricky Ponting said the same thing on SEN, Rod Marsh ran the academy and got all old stars like the Chappell's, DK to give their time......they were all well schooled cricketers who had been taught out of the text book and as he said dominated Shield cricket, he pointed out that we now pick blokes who average 35 in Shield Cricket but back in the day you had a player like Jamie Siddons who couldnt get a game yet averaged 50 in Shield cricket. He said he cant believe some of the batting he is seeing but suggested the academy needs to pay good ex players more money to attract them to academy positions...
Its like Football...usually if you are rubbish off the field you will be the same on the field and we need to lift the coaching back to the elite level.
Shield cricket was the toughest domestic comp in the world, probably followed by the Currie Cup in South Africa.......now we dont seem to have the same interest or kids wanting to aspire to be Shield cricketers.
Much easier to be a cross bat slogger at T20 level and make more money or a medium pacer like Andrew Tye who bowls a different delivery every ball and get paid a mill in the IPL but is nowhere near test standard...why bother knocking yourself out learning the finer points of test cricket?

Reply #1593
Agree 100% EB, yet i still regularly hear cricketers, including those cross bat sloggers making millions in the IPL, say that Test cricket to them is still the ultimate. Unfortunately I don't think this will be the case in 10 years time, and then Australian cricket will be in genuine crisis (if it isn't now)

Reply #1594
Warne's on the money about Starc as well, I know it's uncomfortable news for some to hear but it's a very accurate assessment.

In test cricket you can't go missing for a session, and Starc too often lets the momentum slip by giving all the hard earned gains back.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1595

It's been obvious for some time that the "Centre of Excellence" has lost it's way.
As Marsh said, they moved it to Brisbane for better weather and then spent $25m building an indoor stadium.

Far too many cricketers there, trying to justify the number of coaches employed, training for the wrong types of cricket.

I would move the "Cricket Academy" to wherever Ricky Ponting wants to run it from.
Pay him what he wants and give him a budget to bring in the best of the best.

Reduce Big Bash back to what it was, and promote shield cricket for the first time in how many decades?
Big Bash should not coincide with any test fixtures.

A shield player that plays all games should be paid more than the average AFL player, after all there are only 80 odd players.

Reply #1596
To be fair, the time Ponting is referring to is an absolute golden generation of talent.

The Grade Cricketer has a running joke that most commentary from those guys (eg. Waugh & Warne, not Punter who I think is an excellent commentator) boils down to “why don’t they just go out and dominate... like us?”

Cricket is a lot different to the 80’s & 90’s... a lot more cricket is played in India... spin bowling is far more prevalent... we have to adapt to 20/20... i’d hope we are adjusting to the new reality. Evidence suggests we aren’t.

Reply #1597
To be fair, the time Ponting is referring to is an absolute golden generation of talent.

The Grade Cricketer has a running joke that most commentary from those guys (eg. Waugh & Warne, not Punter who I think is an excellent commentator) boils down to “why don’t they just go out and dominate... like us?”

Cricket is a lot different to the 80’s & 90’s... a lot more cricket is played in India... spin bowling is far more prevalent... we have to adapt to 20/20... i’d hope we are adjusting to the new reality. Evidence suggests we aren’t.

Why do we have to adapt to 20/20?
The Australian cricket team is not judged on its results in 20/20.
What the players do in the Big Bash or IPL is of little consequence.
Maybe the golden era was a result of preparing the players, for the first time in Australian Cricket history, in the right way?
Then we stopped it....

Reply #1598
... we have to adapt to 20/20... i’d hope we are adjusting to the new reality. Evidence suggests we aren’t.

Is it reality Bear, or is it artificial?

The BCCI pay their test cricketers well, the Indians don't have to commit to play T20 to make good money, so the Indian players get to use T20 like a bonus system. They get "overs" for a game here or there and usually when they are back home during a touring break.

For every other international cricketer the IPL interferes with test preparations, players have to FIFO often in very shorts gaps in between other international commitments. Is it an accident or is it a deliberate action by the BCCI to weaken the opposition and control cricket?

Right now you will find a barrage of published reports claiming India v Australia is crickets greatest rivalry. This is the BCCI muscling in on the ICC and Lords by undermining it's authority over the remote outposts. They are spinning that India v Australia is bigger than an Ashes!

The BCCI knows that the ACB needs money, and they have plenty of it so they don't need to be too secretive or political! The BCCI can just bludgeon it's way across the cricket landscape. Maybe the interesting thing is the Saffies, they have lingering politics that seems to make them want to resist, it's not all about money but equality. Their countries history also provides them with the tools and knowledge to deal with this situation.

On the Saffies, the word I have is that they are heavily supporting Perth's bid to get hold of the Boxing Day test. They see Perth hosting an Australia v Saffies Boxing Day test in two or three years is the first step to exclusively hosting a Boxing Day test in South Africa.

People don't realise how much money an event like the Boxing Day test is worth. I've heard an estimate that for Victoria a Boxing Day against a team like India or England will bring 10000 people to town for about a week spending "on average" $10K in that week, that's $100M. The "on average" part is important because of the wide range of budgets that people will spend in that period. For some tests the MCC have reported that as high as 1 in 7 has been a interstate or international visitor, that's almost 15000 people. Even if they don't go to the match everyday, they are in town for it's duration.

Even higher numbers come into play for the week of F1, and Cup week, no wonder NSW want to stage competitive races.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1599
BCCI has controlled international cricket for well over a decade.

They don't need to 'muscle in' - they've got the game exactly where they want it.....

CA isn't exactly short of a quid either - albeit they had too many fat cats on their books - Sutherland and Howard was at the the head of the list for way too many a year.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1600
BCCI has controlled international cricket for well over a decade.

They don't need to 'muscle in' - they've got the game exactly where they want it.....

CA isn't exactly short of a quid either - albeit they had too many fat cats on their books - Sutherland and Howard was at the the head of the list for way too many a year.....

Yes, money talks Flyboy77, it's a sad reality!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1601
Half of South Africa seems to live in Perth.  Work with more than a few of them,  not impressed by their entitled attitudes. They want a lot but life is about give and take. So quite frankly,  keep your grubby mitts from our cricket and concentrate on the issues n your own backyard.

I'm a bit peeved that Perth thinks that they deserve events just because they built a new stadium.   The first day of the Boxing Day test pays for most summer test series,  can't see it being moved in a hurry.  Crowd numbers in recent Perth tests have been poor,  another factor that hasn't been mentioned.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1602
Maybe the golden era was a result of preparing the players, for the first time in Australian Cricket history, in the right way?
Then we stopped it....

Very good points JH, T20 is not about cricket at all it just a form of theater.

If you focus on T20 you're closer to being a Roman Gladiator than a General in the army, you'll live and die by the sword to cheers from the crowd!

Being "The Big Thing" in T20 is always going to be about the "Next Big Thing", when you done with T20, and you are not the "Next Big Thing", you are dust!

Have you ever heard the farmers fable of The New Cow?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1603
Then we stopped it....

20/20 isn’t going away Jonny.

Probably more for the players to adapt to playing the different forms.

Reply #1604
On a separate issue. related to the test.

Is the current curator of the new Perth stadium the guy who got the lemon-sars from the MCG for forking up the pitches?
The Force Awakens!