Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 572901 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1785
[2] Our bowling:
Our bowling has a lot of potential. However, they don't seem to be making early breakthroughs. The numbers in the paper today are quite damning.
For all of that, I really do see our quicks as a potential positive. We need to have our guys bowling with as much discipline as the Indian quicks, who have bowled magnificently. I would also consider giving one or two of the other guys a game, as there are some quicks out there who could really make a difference: James Pattinson, Chris Tremaine and Scott Boland come to mind. There are others.

Nathan Lyon is our best performed finger spinner in history.
However, there are pitches where he could do with help. I like the idea of playing a leggie.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #1786
[3] The Sheffield Shield:
We HAD the best domestic cricket setup in the world. But it is not getting the support it should.
(a) test Players almost never play shield games any more.
(b) with the number of talented guys in the 20:20 circuit, the number of guys coming back to the Shield is dropping off. Guys are lured by the megabucks.
Many players are being picked on potential instead of shield performances. We can afford maybe one, but we can't afford as many as we have.
(c) The BBL is nice entertainment, but it is not helping the technique of our bats or bowlers. In fact, our bowlers use a number of tricks in shorter formats that they simply appear to forget about in test cricket. Slower balls anyone?

[4] Drop In Pitches:
One of the main reasons for our recent cricketing demise is our inability to handle our own pitches. Other countries appear to modify their pitches to suit their side, but it has been years since we have been able to achieve that. Bouncy pitches are now a rarity and it isn't helping.
(a) Each state used to produce pitches that were quite predictable. WA and Qld produced pitches where it bounced and was fast. It was a major advantage, especially for the first two tests. Adelaide bounced well enough, but it was a batsman's strip. Sydney was the pitch for spinners.
Now each pitch is quite similar: low, slow, somewhat two paced and they don't break up much. These pitches don't help us and certainly keep our spin bowlers from developing.
The Kiwis have made an art of producing pitches that favour their attack and their results show they are on the right track.
(b) With our pitches we don't see a lot of the moving ball. Our bats play spin poorly, and don't handle the swinging ball that well. If we don't improve and soon, the Poms are going to slaughter us!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #1787
... and Langer sticks with Finch for sydney  >:(

They might s well give Finch a crack at playing where he should - at 5 or 6.

Khawja to open with Harris.

I'd have S Marsh at 3, Labuschagne at 4, Head at 5, Finch at 6 etc.

Personally, I wouldn't have picked Labuschagne....don't think he's ready or in good enough form.....averaging 28 at Shield level - he'll last 12 balls, if lucky. His bowling? Meh....

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=12452;type=tournament

Wade should get a go on form?

I'd plump for Stoinis or Henriques....and I'd happily drop Starc or Hazelwood for Tremain or Boland.....

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/bowling/most_wickets_career.html?id=12452;type=tournament

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1788
Henriques is an average shield player, bowls junk. Game has passed him.  Only got tests because he's from NSW.

Look to the future if we're picking on potential.

Renshaw  to open.   Burns into middle order.  Play Maxwell at six or Stains.

Piss off Finch and both the Marsh chumps.

Drop, I mean rest,  Starc and give somebody else a game.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1789
Henriques is an average shield player, bowls junk. Game has passed him.  Only got tests because he's from NSW.

Look to the future if we're picking on potential.

Renshaw  to open.   Burns into middle order.  Play Maxwell at six or Stains.

Piss off Finch and both the Marsh chumps.

Drop, I mean rest,  Starc and give somebody else a game.

I like the idea of selecting a few openers.
I would look at Burns, Renshaw and Doolan.
Drop Finch and M Marsh.
Openers generally have straighter bats.
I think we need to revert back to the mid to late eighties and pick tougher types that will hold up an end.
Players are just too use to giving away their wickets cheaply and the above have all played longer innings previously.
We don’t have a world class player until smith comes back so pick the toughest players we can and tell the rest of the country you will need to average 45+ to get a look in.

Oh and who ever increased B.B. cricket to 8 weeks should be shot

Reply #1790
Langer dribbling off at the mouth again.

Finch is (a)  horribly out of form (b)  has a poor defensive technique he can't rely upon and (c)  his mindset is shot,  clear evidence being the get out shots he played in the last test.

I'm sure Aaron is working very hard Justin,  but it isn't working.  Time to give Aaron,  and the team, a break.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1791
Just out of interest, I compared Marcus Harris after 6 innings with some of our best openers of recent times. After 6 innings:
Harris 177 runs at 29.5
Langer 172 at 28.7
Hayden 150 at 25.
By the way, Finch after 6 innings had 192 runs at 32. Now after 10 innings 278 at 27.8.
Not saying anyone is going to end up being as good as anyone else, but sometimes if you give blokes a go they can become great

Reply #1793
You would have to say looking at the past two years, that Matthew Wade would have to be looked at again.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=12018;type=tournament

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=12452;type=tournament

Pity Callum Ferguson has not made many runs of late. Could have been another Chris Rogers type career for us.

Reply #1794
Crikey, forgot all about Maxwell - should have been #6 from the get go.

He must have really pissed off some bigwigs at CA.

And Warne is dead on the money - the bowlers aren't doing their job - the opening two way out of form!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1795
[2] Our bowling:
Our bowling has a lot of potential. However, they don't seem to be making early breakthroughs. The numbers in the paper today are quite damning.
For all of that, I really do see our quicks as a potential positive. We need to have our guys bowling with as much discipline as the Indian quicks, who have bowled magnificently. I would also consider giving one or two of the other guys a game, as there are some quicks out there who could really make a difference: James Pattinson, Chris Tremaine and Scott Boland come to mind. There are others.

Nathan Lyon is our best performed finger spinner in history.
However, there are pitches where he could do with help. I like the idea of playing a leggie.

Like to see Pattinson and Jhye Richardson get a run. Starc and Hazelwood aren't fully doing the job. Pattinson has 70 wickets from 17 Tests, @ 26.15, strike rate 48, as well as averaging 27.6 with the bat, higher than Mitch Marsh.

As for the batting, Khawaja to open, Kurtis Patterson to no.3, Burns in, drop Finch and M.Marsh

Reply #1796
It is now too late to radically change the side. Pity, as the side is in need of radical changes.

[1] Our batsmen are averaging less than the bowlers. That is the sort of thing that loses games, and it has.
(a) Finch should not be opening. He hasn't opened for Victoria for a number of years now. Now his form is shot, he looks to be one of the first ready to be dropped. With his present average this series, he should be dropped. But playing him further down the list could have delivered results at least as good.
(b) Head appears to have some idea, but he gets out too easily. Mentally weak at the moment. He isn't that bad a spin bowler either, yet he hasn't had a decent spell.
His present numbers do not deserve a game, but he may in the future.
(c) Harris has disappointed. I think he may have a future, but his present batting is not deserving of a spot.
(d) Shaun Marsh's performances are borderline at best. he makes runs just often enough to keep in the team. But I think test cricket has passed him by. We need someone with his father's mental strength. Both of Geoff's sons have more natural talent than he did, but neither has even half his application and mental strength. Pity, as but they have been given a lot of chances that other guys simply couldn't get.
(e) Mitch Marsh: I think his bowling in the last game was better than it has been in quite some time. The only problem with that was that he was wicket-less. :( His batting: he is a flat track bully. He can slaughter an ordinary attack on a flat deck. But he is not getting to play against ordinary attacks and the decks have not been what we either expect or require. Result? Mitch Marsh fails again. :(
(f) Usman Khawaja: coming back direct from injury set him up for failure. he played no warm up games and has struggled against one of the best attacks in the business.
For all that, he isn't that bad and probably has a future in the team for a little longer. But he was underdone and got smashed.
(g) Marnus Labuschagne will probably play in Sydney. He might have a future: I liked his spin bowling. His batting, on the other hand, is unlikely to succeed against such a good attack. But I can hope.

Harris has looked the part but just hasn't gone on. worth persisting with though. Head's done ok but too often goes out to the $hit shot, actually, done that every innings. He's frustrating but at 25yo has a future. Again, hasn't gone on. Khawaja is certainly ok. S.Marsh, like you said, has done just enough with a 60 and two 40s but not going on.

Batting has been terrible, yet if they weren't trash in the First Test we are up 2-1 given we lost by only 31 runs. Didn't even need to be good, just better.

Also, don't want to see the toss deciding games. The pitch was a slow road for two days, near impossible to get wickets, hence on 5 fell in that time. After that it played horrible trick hence 15 wickets fell on the 3rd day and India declared at 8/106 on the 4th.

If we had Smith and Warner we'd have the series won, think that's obvious. If they didn't have Kohli and Pujara they'd be down 3-0.

Reply #1797
Harris has looked the part but just hasn't gone on. worth persisting with though. Head's done ok but too often goes out to the $hit shot, actually, done that every innings. He's frustrating but at 25yo has a future. Again, hasn't gone on. Khawaja is certainly ok. S.Marsh, like you said, has done just enough with a 60 and two 40s but not going on.

Batting has been terrible, yet if they weren't trash in the First Test we are up 2-1 given we lost by only 31 runs. Didn't even need to be good, just better.

Also, don't want to see the toss deciding games. The pitch was a slow road for two days, near impossible to get wickets, hence on 5 fell in that time. After that it played horrible trick hence 15 wickets fell on the 3rd day and India declared at 8/106 on the 4th.

If we had Smith and Warner we'd have the series won, think that's obvious. If they didn't have Kohli and Pujara they'd be down 3-0.

Our pace bowlers do nothing with the ball...best quicks in the world are Rabada, Abbas and probably Bumrah...they all can swing and seam the new and old ball, once the shine is off and the ball softens ours are next to useless, sure we dont help them with our pitch preparation but you have to be able to move the ball on dead wickets and thats the hallmark of the great bowlers.

Reply #1798
Our pace bowlers do nothing with the ball...best quicks in the world are Rabada, Abbas and probably Bumrah...they all can swing and seam the new and old ball, once the shine is off and the ball softens ours are next to useless, sure we dont help them with our pitch preparation but you have to be able to move the ball on dead wickets and thats the hallmark of the great bowlers.

Pat Cummins doesn't do much with the ball ???

Still managed to take 9 wickets in 45 overs though.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #1799
Pat Cummins doesn't do much with the ball ???

Still managed to take 9 wickets in 45 overs though.

Cummins is an effort bowler, he digs it in, intimidates and is an enforcer and you need one of those in every team for sure.
But you wouldnt call Cummins a traditional swing bowler who bowls big out swingers or reverse swings it with the old ball.
If you have watched Rabada, Abbas and Bumrah they are swinging the ball both ways or in Bumrahs case bowling inswingers then the big leg cutter.
Abbas isnt even quick and rarely bounces batsman but he is always at you doing a bit each way, never seen a bowler hit the pads as often as Abbas or make batsman
play as much.

We dont have that genuine swing/consistent seamer in the team.......if Pattinson could stay on the park he could be the man
or maybe Mennie/Worral from SA. We need more subtlety than just three big quicks banging the ball in to the track....add M.Marsh who does nothing with the ball either.