Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 572784 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1800
Pattinson is a point of difference with his away movement at pace.  

Hazelwood and Starc need to do a lot more with the pill,  although Josh at least  has accuracy going for him. Josh is more a defensive style of bowler.

Sayers and Behrendorff move the ball around a lot,  especially Sayers. He has to be considered for England.

The dead pitches we serve up have rendered Hazelwood's bowling pedestrian. His height and pace are mitigated by this.   Even still,  he doesn't look likely to run through a side.   I like him but can't see him causing problems for India in Sydney.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1801
Our pace bowlers do nothing with the ball...best quicks in the world are Rabada, Abbas and probably Bumrah...they all can swing and seam the new and old ball, once the shine is off and the ball softens ours are next to useless, sure we dont help them with our pitch preparation but you have to be able to move the ball on dead wickets and thats the hallmark of the great bowlers.

This might be part of it:
The Australian- Peter Lalor
India’s pace bowlers produced reverse swing in the Boxing Day Test match, but Australia’s have little hope of finding it as they operate under a strict new policy after the ball-tampering scandal in South Africa.

The team struggled to find an acceptable level of aggression on the field in the matches that followed the incident, but appears to have found a way since Tim Paine stood up to Virat Kohli in Perth.

An acceptable level of ball maintenance is yet to be discovered.
That department was once run by David Warner and was successful in getting the ball into a state where reverse would offer assistance after the shine was gone from the new ball. Mitchell Starc was particularly effective when the ball started to misbehave, never more so than in the team’s first win in South Africa

Warner was celebrated by the team for the work he did and fielders were under strict instructions not to sweat on the ball or damage its shined side — both negate reverse swing.

Umpires in first-class cricket were spoken to ahead of the season by Cricket Australia and have passed on a message to all state teams that they are closely monitoring the ball this season.

Teams were told the person who shines the ball cannot have chewing gum or mints in their mouth at the time. There has also been a crackdown on bouncing the ball into the centre strip.

All sides use mints to polish the ball and the practice of throwing the ball into the rough on return is common, but frowned upon.

The wicket area in the first two Tests was well grassed, which made it almost impossible to get the ball roughed up enough to reverse, but India’s seamers had it going at the MCG while Australia’s did not.

Statistics published by Cricinfo indicate just how much better the visitors have been with the older ball.

The Indian quicks have taken 15 wickets at an average of 22 runs after the 41st over, while the Australians have just six at 46. The Australians take a wicket every 100 deliveries with the ball in that period, the Indians need only half as many.

Last year against England, Australia took 19 wickets at an average of 30 in the same period.

In an exclusive column for News Corp, captain Tim Paine acknowledged that his side was tentative about ball maintenance. “We accept there is no margin for error for us,” he said.

“We have to be spot-on with everything we do with the ball and we will be.

“We will be watched closely as we were in Dubai. Every time the ball went around in the field the spotlight was on us.”

Paine indicated before the series in the UAE that ball maintenance, which had once been the subject of meetings and endless discussions, would be handed back to the bowlers.

“They have taken a bit more ownership of the ball and obviously they’ve got to bowl with it,” Paine said at the time.

“I think it’s a good idea. We’ll have some guys holding it a bit more while the bowlers are bowling and they’re traditionally going to be sweating a bit more.

“In cricket teams I’ve been in, the bowlers tend to be pushed to the side and the batters take over the ball.

“We’ve spoken to our quicks. We’ve got ‘Starcy’ (Mitchell Starc) and ‘Sidds’ (Peter Siddle), who are really experienced, they know exactly what they want to do and it’s up to the rest of us to support them.”

Achieving reverse swing almost became an arms race in South Africa with both sides accusing the other of ball-tampering almost from the first day.

Starc’s bowling in Durban was the difference in the first match. The seamer took five wickets in a session on day two and three in an over on day four when the ball began to reverse.

“Very rarely do you see it happen day one, first session (like it did in Durban),” then-coach Darren Lehmann said after that game. “Obviously, there are techniques used by both sides to get the ball to reverse and that’s just the way the game goes. I have no problems with it. I don’t mind the ball moving.”

The South Africans, who had received penalties for ball-tampering in previous years, resolved to be better with their ball maintenance in the second Test and were.

“There was a real difference in skill with the reverse swing,” captain Faf du Plessis said. “Starc reverse swings the ball at pace and the only (similar) weapon we have right now is Kagiso (Rabada).”

New coach Justin Langer promised when he came into the job that ball-tampering would not occur on his watch.

“My honest view is it’s an international problem,” Langer told former Test teammate Adam Gilchrist in a Fox Cricket interview.

“But I can’t for a single second understand how we took sandpaper out on to the field. That doesn’t make any sense to me.

“The issue with people ball-tampering is something that’s going on internationally, and that’s a real worry.

“We’ve got to get the pitches right around the world so that the ball does move, whether it spins or swings. But to go to the point we did was a huge mistake.”

Reply #1802
India’s pace bowlers produced reverse swing in the Boxing Day Test match, but Australia’s have little hope of finding it as they operate under a strict new policy after the ball-tampering scandal in South Africa.

You or Lalor must be racist! ;D ;)

This is such a der-Fred argument I find it amazing it has any traction, trying to hold the other teams to account is like arguing the Earth is flat! It's almost as naive as thinking if Carlton keeps it's head down and plays hard and fair it will have success!

One of the biggest problems we have is that the Australia cricket media a crap scared of being labelled racist, so they won't put the Indian players under the same scrutiny as the Saffie media put Australia. They want the Indian Rupees too much, and they are prepared to bend over to get them! :O

But it's not just the media, right through this test the Indian bowlers continue to over-step the crease and not be called for no-balls. So the umpires and match officials fear them as well. None of those officials want to be exposed on their next tour of the sub-continent, they fear for their lives and the integrity of the game is not worth their life! The Indian players, BCCI, media and officials are happy to play that racial discrimination card if not deliberately then by indifference, yet we are labelled racists if we highlight an Indian player breaking a rule, while almost every controversial on field action of Kohli panders to racism!

It's such a double standard, and the Saffies happily leverage that because they are labelled racist anyway so they don't care about getting another label.

Australia is to Test Cricket, what Carlton is to AFL!

Carlton should learn from the Saffies, and Australian cricket needs to grow some balls!

If you think this isn't institutionalised, take the look at the ICC official assessment of the MCG pitch after India's victory, now it's all OK! Can you imagine that being the case if India had lost?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1803
Pattinson is a point of difference with his away movement at pace.  

Hazelwood and Starc need to do a lot more with the pill,  although Josh at least  has accuracy going for him. Josh is more a defensive style of bowler.

Sayers and Behrendorff move the ball around a lot,  especially Sayers. He has to be considered for England.

The dead pitches we serve up have rendered Hazelwood's bowling pedestrian. His height and pace are mitigated by this.   Even still,  he doesn't look likely to run through a side.   I like him but can't see him causing problems for India in Sydney.

I like both Sayers and Behrendorff but both have been injured and the latter is injury prone.....
Hazlewood bowls a lot of no play balls.....one of the reason Bumrah has been successful is he is at the stumps and even when he isnt you are not sure if the ball is coming back in or not.
I think with Hazlewood you can play him on line alone as he doesnt get much movement so anything not on the stumps is just going to be let go...he bowls a lot of maiden's  and is economical but for me thats because the batsman are letting the ball go so often..I probably prefer Pattinson for that reason as he swings the ball away, is more proactive with his attack on the batsman and is looking to take take wickets rather than fustrate batsman. Players like Pujara need bowling out rather than waiting for a bad shot and I feel Hazlewood bowls for the bad shot only.....

Reply #1804
Best summary of Hazlewood I have read. Question is, do we take him to the Ashes in England where the Duke ball will move around a bit off the deck? Personally I'd prefer Siddle for that role, but then Hazlewood is from NSW...

Reply #1805

The team struggled to find an acceptable level of aggression on the field in the matches that followed the incident, but appears to have found a way since Tim Paine stood up to Virat Kohli in Perth.

An acceptable level of ball maintenance is yet to be discovered.
That department was once run by David Warner and was successful in getting the ball into a state where reverse would offer assistance after the shine was gone from the new ball. Mitchell Starc was particularly effective when the ball started to misbehave, never more so than in the team’s first win in South Africa

Warner was celebrated by the team for the work he did and fielders were under strict instructions not to sweat on the ball or damage its shined side — both negate reverse swing.

Umpires in first-class cricket were spoken to ahead of the season by Cricket Australia and have passed on a message to all state teams that they are closely monitoring the ball this season.

Teams were told the person who shines the ball cannot have chewing gum or mints in their mouth at the time. There has also been a crackdown on bouncing the ball into the centre strip.

All sides use mints to polish the ball and the practice of throwing the ball into the rough on return is common, but frowned upon.

The wicket area in the first two Tests was well grassed, which made it almost impossible to get the ball roughed up enough to reverse, but India’s seamers had it going at the MCG while Australia’s did not.

Statistics published by Cricinfo indicate just how much better the visitors have been with the older ball.

The Indian quicks have taken 15 wickets at an average of 22 runs after the 41st over, while the Australians have just six at 46. The Australians take a wicket every 100 deliveries with the ball in that period, the Indians need only half as many.

Last year against England, Australia took 19 wickets at an average of 30 in the same period.

In an exclusive column for News Corp, captain Tim Paine acknowledged that his side was tentative about ball maintenance. “We accept there is no margin for error for us,” he said.

“We have to be spot-on with everything we do with the ball and we will be.

“We will be watched closely as we were in Dubai. Every time the ball went around in the field the spotlight was on us.”

Paine indicated before the series in the UAE that ball maintenance, which had once been the subject of meetings and endless discussions, would be handed back to the bowlers.

“They have taken a bit more ownership of the ball and obviously they’ve got to bowl with it,” Paine said at the time.

“I think it’s a good idea. We’ll have some guys holding it a bit more while the bowlers are bowling and they’re traditionally going to be sweating a bit more.

“In cricket teams I’ve been in, the bowlers tend to be pushed to the side and the batters take over the ball.

“We’ve spoken to our quicks. We’ve got ‘Starcy’ (Mitchell Starc) and ‘Sidds’ (Peter Siddle), who are really experienced, they know exactly what they want to do and it’s up to the rest of us to support them.”

Achieving reverse swing almost became an arms race in South Africa with both sides accusing the other of ball-tampering almost from the first day.

Starc’s bowling in Durban was the difference in the first match. The seamer took five wickets in a session on day two and three in an over on day four when the ball began to reverse.

“Very rarely do you see it happen day one, first session (like it did in Durban),” then-coach Darren Lehmann said after that game. “Obviously, there are techniques used by both sides to get the ball to reverse and that’s just the way the game goes. I have no problems with it. I don’t mind the ball moving.”

The South Africans, who had received penalties for ball-tampering in previous years, resolved to be better with their ball maintenance in the second Test and were.

“There was a real difference in skill with the reverse swing,” captain Faf du Plessis said. “Starc reverse swings the ball at pace and the only (similar) weapon we have right now is Kagiso (Rabada).”

New coach Justin Langer promised when he came into the job that ball-tampering would not occur on his watch.

“My honest view is it’s an international problem,” Langer told former Test teammate Adam Gilchrist in a Fox Cricket interview.

“But I can’t for a single second understand how we took sandpaper out on to the field. That doesn’t make any sense to me.

“The issue with people ball-tampering is something that’s going on internationally, and that’s a real worry.

“We’ve got to get the pitches right around the world so that the ball does move, whether it spins or swings. But to go to the point we did was a huge mistake.”

Poms had it "right" in 2005. Murray's Mints on the shiny side of the ball throughout the series won it for them. That invariably works better than scrubbing up the rough side. Like putting tape on a tennis ball. Sandpaper did such a "good" job that the umpire didn't feel need to even change the ball. It ended up a waste of time and caused a huge pile of $hit.

Reply #1806
I like both Sayers and Behrendorff but both have been injured and the latter is injury prone.....
Hazlewood bowls a lot of no play balls.....one of the reason Bumrah has been successful is he is at the stumps and even when he isnt you are not sure if the ball is coming back in or not.
I think with Hazlewood you can play him on line alone as he doesnt get much movement so anything not on the stumps is just going to be let go...he bowls a lot of maiden's  and is economical but for me thats because the batsman are letting the ball go so often..I probably prefer Pattinson for that reason as he swings the ball away, is more proactive with his attack on the batsman and is looking to take take wickets rather than fustrate batsman. Players like Pujara need bowling out rather than waiting for a bad shot and I feel Hazlewood bowls for the bad shot only.....

Yes, I'd like to see Cummins, Pattinson and J.Richardson. Pattinson swings it at pace and attacks while Richardson is a bowler that skids on at 145k. Gives us a point of difference between each bowler. Starc can have his great moments but can't always apply pressure. Hazelwood isn't doing quite enough and hasn't for a couple of series. Cummins and Pattinson are very close to being all rounders, Pattinson's batting Test average is 27.6 from 17 Tests. One benefit of alot of injury, you have way more time to work on your batting.

Reply #1807
Adding to the above.... I agree that the Australians are so scared at being accused of something they wont even shine the bloody ball, so forget swing of any kind. And that's a clear disadvantage.

Where are the umpires in all this?    They should be checking the ball every over.   Any undue change in condition and its " come here captain.... ".

Meanwhile the Jaapies' media had cameras fixated on Warner trying to catch him out in the last tour.   We MUST do the same almost as a standard practice as I am very,  very suspicious when one side gets reverse swing and the other doesn't, especially on non abrasive drop in pitches.

Faf should have been expelled for his mint trick. Everybody and his dog knew what he was doing - the man's a cheat.

If the Indians - or anybody else-gets caught out theyll need an armed exit to the Airport. 

Reply #1808
Adding to the above.... I agree that the Australians are so scared at being accused of something they wont even shine the bloody ball, so forget swing of any kind. And that's a clear disadvantage.

Where are the umpires in all this?    They should be checking the ball every over.   Any undue change in condition and its " come here captain.... ".

Meanwhile the Jaapies' media had cameras fixated on Warner trying to catch him out in the last tour.   We MUST do the same almost as a standard practice as I am very,  very suspicious when one side gets reverse swing and the other doesn't, especially on non abrasive drop in pitches.

Faf should have been expelled for his mint trick. Everybody and his dog knew what he was doing - the man's a cheat.

If the Indians - or anybody else-gets caught out theyll need an armed exit to the Airport.

Faf's first offence was worse. Had a zipper sewn into his pocket. As bad a sandpaper.

Reply #1809
Faf's first offence was worse. Had a zipper sewn into his pocket. As bad a sandpaper.

much, much worse....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1810
I agree,  the zipper one is at the top end of offending  I reckon.  Clearly premeditated, should have been rubbed out for life.

Reply #1811
Watching BBL tonight.

When you see Stoinis in this mindset it's hard to see how he gets overlooked, especially for Marsh.

Others bash the ball, Stoinis is playing clean cricket shots with ultimate power.

The other thing was watching Pattinson today, miss his bowling, pity because at the moment he doesn't look confident in his body bowling and still looked a cut above the others.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1812
When Stoinis gets his head fully back into the game he is going to be a very good player. 

What did you think of his bowling LP?

Reply #1813
When Stoinis gets his head fully back into the game he is going to be a very good player. 

What did you think of his bowling LP?

I think Marsh is probably a better bowler if he is actually bowling to his ability and not injured or limited in overs, but he has fallen well short at test level and had plenty of chances. He is basically being used as a chop-out only and even when he is fit he rarely bowls more than a dozen overs. We effectively already have Starc and Cummins as bowling all-rounders, so I think we need a batting all-rounder and to me Marsh fails at that dismally.

I think batting and fielding Stoinis is ahead of Marsh, he values his wicket, Marsh is more like Maxwell all or nothing. Stoinis is OK as a bowler, perhaps even a bit quicker than Marsh now as Marsh has lost a bit, and I think Stoinis is better suited to holding down an end than Marsh.

I'd have Maxwell and Stoinis as the rotating all-rounder well ahead of Marsh.

A big question, given exposed potential, why the feck isn't CA turning over heaven and earth to get Maxwell sorted? It's like Carlton signing Dominator and then saying he's just too much hard work!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1814
Finch and M Marsh out.

Unfortunately Lauberschagne and Handscomb back.

Crazy that we won’t try some new blood