Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 572906 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1845
Made it to stumps safe thanks to Pant shelling a sitter.   Khawaja is struggling to middle it,  doesn't look in great touch.  Hopefully a good night's sleep, feet start moving and the other mob can enjoy chasing leather for six or so sessions.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1846
we'll lose by an innings....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1847
we'll lose by an innings....
I wish I could say that you were wrong. However, with our present batting issues and low levels of confidence, it is not out of the question at all.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #1849
Forty overs in and Bumrah is reverse swinging it.   How comes to mind.

Reply #1850
Shaun Marsh being consistent.   Consistently hopeless.

Reply #1851
I'm a little slow, I need reminding as to why S Marsh is in the side.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #1852
Can't help you there mate,  he's a lazy batsman with poor concentration levels and gets out in silly,  soft ways.

Three of the dismissals have been just poor batting, stupid errors which is why our blokes don't go with it.   Our blokes simply can't concentrate for long enough.   Khawaja committed suicide,  Harris changed his shot and Marsh didn't move and let himself get nailed on the crease.

Wait long enough and our blokes get themselves out.

The ball that Marnus just lifted to mid on (he batted well I thought)  swung appreciably from Shami.

I ask again.... How on earth are these blokes getting it to move so much and so consistently?   They must be diddling with the pill I reckon.

Reply #1853
More fy+*,$g idiotic stuff from (d!ck) Head.   Chuck your wicket away  minutes away from a potential weather break.

Retarded batting. 

Reply #1854
Can't help you there mate,  he's a lazy batsman with poor concentration levels and gets out in silly,  soft ways.

Three of the dismissals have been just poor batting, stupid errors which is why our blokes don't go with it.   Our blokes simply can't concentrate for long enough.   Khawaja committed suicide,  Harris changed his shot and Marsh didn't move and let himself get nailed on the crease.

The ball that Marnus just lifted to mid on (he batted well I thought)  swung appreciably from Shami.

I ask again.... How on earth are these blokes getting it to move so much and so consistently?   They must be diddling with the pill I reckon.

The wireless commentary is very informative with Nannes and Clarke analysing the bowling.  Their take is that the Indians have greater seam discipline and consistently bowl the right length and at the stumps.  They rarely bowl bouncers and that means it has shock value, as in the ball that nearly pinned Head.

As for Lambuschagne’s dismissal, Nannes and Cowan agreed that they could see it unfolding and he was too inexperienced to see the trap.  Cowan reckons he’s going to be a good player but needs to learn the craft at first class level before being thrown into Test cricket.

Dean Jones has joined the queue to smack the selectors in today’s Age:

I loved it when Justin Langer was selected as head coach of the Australian team. Langer said he was only going to reward players with national selection when and if they had earned that opportunity.  Players who live up to the standards of what it takes to be an Australian cricketer. It was music to my ears.

Well, please talk me through selections for the past couple of Tests?

Our national selection panel is Trevor Hohns, Greg Chappell and Langer and all three surely will be under notice by the new Cricket Australia administration. I firmly believe the selections have made this one of the weakest Australian Test teams I have seen and, while I truly hope they can rub my noses in this assessment, I doubt it very much.

You don’t need to have 20-plus Tests next to your name to become a good selector. It’s just a matter of knowing the correct game plan, selecting the right players to carry out that plan and having an eye for talent.

Also, I feel it’s only right that you pick players who are in some semblance of form. If they can’t play well in the Sheffield Shield, what hope have they got against the No. 1 Test team in the world?

It’s all about getting the balance right within a team. The perfect balance for a Test team would be four-five senior players, four-five intermediate players and one-two new guys.

SHEFFIELD SHIELD BATTING AVERAGES
(Players in bold have played for Australian Test team this summer)

Steve Smith 51.79
Usman Khawaja 50.07
Glenn Maxwell 44.15
Matthew Wade 43.11
Joe Burns 43.11
David Warner 42.94
Shaun Marsh 41.59
Kurt Patterson 41.48
Peter Nevill 40.73
Peter Handscomb 40.13
Daniel Hughes 39.76
Hilton Cartwright 39.50
Callum Ferguson 38.87
Cameron Bancroft 38.83
George Bailey 38.49
Jake Lehmann 38.39
Matt Renshaw 38.13
Travis Head 36.08
Marcus Harris 35.32
Marnus Labuschagne 33.88
Aaron Finch 31.08
Mitchell Marsh 28.02
Tim Paine 27.79
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1855
Just enforce the follow on and put us out of our misery.  Channel 7 must be thrilled with the ratings

Reply #1856

Think we have to admit they have a bit more skill than our blokes and bowl better lines, they picked a team to suit the conditions and we are a few players short without Warner and Smith......Paine is a very good wicket keeper for example but he is nowhere near Pant as a batsman. Our quicks are quicker but none of them swing the ball consistently, you could tell Kuldeep was going to trouble our batsman from his 1st over, he lands most of his deliveries and none of our blokes can pick him. Paine played a ridiculous shot trying to drive a well flighted ball that spun between a gap you could drive a Mack truck through...
S. Marsh is experienced for sure but mainly at getting out by the dumbest ways possible, played two good shots then hung a limp bat at a delivery he didnt need to play and edged it, Head is another who seems to do the hard work then play a dumb shot.
India keep their youth away from 20/20 cricket and dont allow then to play until U23's and concentrate on producing test batsman who average 50 or more in the domestic comp before they get picked at International level....Lillee, Marsh, the Chappells taught them too well when they were struggling now its us who cant structure a system to produce test cricketers.....but we cant live without 20/20 cricket now because of the money and its a drug thats killing us as a test nation. The Indiasn have the big dollars to buy what they need in terms of coaching, domestic comps and its us who are now the poor relations....
Being an Aussie cricket  supporter and a Carlton supporter isnt much different ...the system and the odds are stacked against us....

Reply #1857
A good batsman at test level tends to be a good bat at the shorter forms,  yet short form ability doesn't transfer to long form success. But this series was lost in the head,  not just via technique,  we didn't bat to test expectation, which is mainly application.  It's been an issue for a long time.

I am firmly of the belief that the players did not get enough long form cricket coming into the test series to have form.  All the bats are looking for it,  how can you get it in the absence of first class cricket?

So we have a long list of players that aren't in top nick,  chuck in some horrid selections and it was never going to he a successful series.

The blokes that have really disappointed have been the so called senior players,  especially Khawaja,  Marsh, Starc and Hazelwood.  Paine has clear limitations with the bat.  If anything,  the new boys today showed better technique and intent than the supposed senior blokes. 

All the new bats have technical flaws to address. But they have a future.   At 34, Marsh does not.

The bowlers have tried but the reality is that they have been off the boil for some time and this test was the ideal time to try someone fresh. Opportunity missed.

I hope the selectors are smarter and pick a side with an eye to the future versus Sri Lanka.   No Marshes for a start.  Starc can find some form with NSW.  Piss off the all-rounder quest,  Cumming or the WK is essentially that.

Why aren't Burns,  Maxwell, Renshaw  etc being considered? Enough politics.  Pick on merit. 

I reckon we have the players,  we just didnt pick them or didn't have them ready to go. 

Reply #1858
A good batsman at test level tends to be a good bat at the shorter forms,  yet short form ability doesn't transfer to long form success. But this series was lost in the head,  not just via technique,  we didn't bat to test expectation, which is mainly application.  It's been an issue for a long time.

I am firmly of the belief that the players did not get enough long form cricket coming into the test series to have form.  All the bats are looking for it,  how can you get it in the absence of first class cricket?

So we have a long list of players that aren't in top nick,  chuck in some horrid selections and it was never going to he a successful series.

The blokes that have really disappointed have been the so called senior players,  especially Khawaja,  Marsh, Starc and Hazelwood.  Paine has clear limitations with the bat.  If anything,  the new boys today showed better technique and intent than the supposed senior blokes. 

All the new bats have technical flaws to address. But they have a future.   At 34, Marsh does not.

The bowlers have tried but the reality is that they have been off the boil for some time and this test was the ideal time to try someone fresh. Opportunity missed.

I hope the selectors are smarter and pick a side with an eye to the future versus Sri Lanka.  No Marshes for a start.  Starc can find some form with NSW.  Piss off the all-rounder quest,  Cumming or the WK is essentially that.

Why aren't Burns,  Maxwell, Renshaw  etc being considered? Enough politics.  Pick on merit. 

I reckon we have the players,  we just didnt pick them or didn't have them ready to go.

But that's the problem Prof, the selectors think that they are picking sides that will do well in the future.

They should be picking the best eleven players on form and that should mean that Maxwell, Burns and Wade are in the squad.

The Marsh name should not appear on an Australian scoresheet unless he conjures up some amazing igures
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1859
The blokes need to be established - and scoring runs - at the 4 day match level before any consideration for selection.

People saying Handscomb played a brave innings last evening - he's on 28 ffs, not 128 or 228.

Talk about this bloke (who shouldn't be in the side in a month of Sundays on exposed form) when he hits the latter scores....

Very, very, very poor effort from the selectors.
Finals, then 4 in a row!