Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 572676 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #2175
Doctored, but by no means dangerous.  They prepare pitches to suit their players and not the opposition.  We tend to prepare pitches that don't favour us, except for the Gabba and WACA in years gone by.  Not sure if Pakistani pitches were suited to opposition, either.

India has the money...

Crazy thing about the MCG pitch is that the Vics might actually get some points.  Should be fined and warned.  Some of the balls that spat were quite nasty.

Reply #2176
Crazy thing about the MCG pitch is that the Vics might actually get some points.  Should be fined and warned.  Some of the balls that spat were quite nasty.

I agree they were nasty.

But this risk avoidance is a modern trend, a sort of a shell-shock reaction to the Phil Hughes events.

The older forum members will remember the hellish days of dodgy West Indian or even flaky Adelaide oval pitches that behaved like this. I didn't see Sir Garfield, Sir Vivian, Sir Ian or Sir Richie pull up stumps and head home when the pitch got a bit dodgy even in that pre-helmet era!

We'd laugh loudly as the Indian top order was demolished by Thompson and Lillee at the height of their fast bowling powers. Even louder at Tony Grieg, pre and post helmet!

Now they have all manner of advanced head, chest, arm, hip and all other default means of protection, and they've pulled the pin! Is it a genuine concern or a lack of modern skills and endurance?

But here today there is a tell, one that seems worth questioning. If you can find it watch the broadcast TV interviews about the MCG pitch, there is one interview containing a significant Freudian slip concerning objective and subjective participles!

Are they too safe, in terms of income stream security, and I too cynical?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2177
I agree they were nasty.

But this risk avoidance is a modern trend, a sort of a shell-shock reaction to the Phil Hughes events.

The older forum members will remember the hellish days of dodgy West Indian or even flaky Adelaide oval pitches that behaved like this. I didn't see Sir Garfield, Sir Vivian, Sir Ian or Sir Richie pull up stumps and head home when the pitch got a bit dodgy even in that pre-helmet era!

We'd laugh loudly as the Indian top order was demolished by Thompson and Lillee at the height of their fast bowling powers. Even louder at Tony Grieg, pre and post helmet!

We also winced when our top order was battered & then demolished by Holding, Garner, Croft & Roberts etc, etc.....& marvelled at innings the likes of Kim Hughes Boxing Day test 1981 counter attacking against the odds !

yeah....I am slightly of the opinion that batsmen are rather too pampered these days....the MCG pitch was routinely poor through much of the 80s.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #2178
This Perth Day / Night Test seems dead in the water already.

I don't know what it is about the timing and/or broadcast of this match, in my opinion a Perth Day/Night just doesn't work.

Firstly, it's not really Day/Night, they start so early over there that with the sun setting over the water it is like the last 5 mins of play after sunset and that is it done for the day! They have obviously done this so that stumps can be at a reasonable hour in Sydney.

But stumps isn't at a reasonable hour in the East, and pity the New Zealanders, most play is interrupted by news broadcasts and/or eventually bed! At Dinner for many there was no going back! Even the freebies they offered to Perth locals for the last session didn't help. Their out enjoying cafes, clubs and bars as the sun sets, and why wouldn't you?

It seems just wrong, a novelty more than an event, like the Singapore and other night GPs! Great spectacle, extraordinary decoration, but lacking that same substance and hard edge of a traditional contest.

The broadcast team are trying, very trying some may argue, but they can't beat any life out of this game, I think I'll teach myself to crochet!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2179
This Perth Day / Night Test seems dead in the water already.

I don't know what it is about the timing and/or broadcast of this match, in my opinion a Perth Day/Night just doesn't work.

They can't stop fiddling with the game.  But I'm a dyed in the wool traditionalist

Reply #2180
Don't know why Head gets a game,  finds ways to get out.  Soft ways.   
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #2182
Kiwis 5/109.

Stark 4 wickets.

Well done Australia.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #2183
Kiwis 5/109.

Stark 4 wickets.

Well done Australia.

Starc was intimidating and Smith took a blinder to get Williamson, Kiwis are plucky though and I expect Taylor and their keeper Watling to dig in.
Pity Hazlwood is injured and Matty Wade had to roll his arm over for a few interesting overs, we still miss that Ben Stokes type allrounder at No 6.

Reply #2184

Starc was intimidating and Smith took a blinder to get Williamson, Kiwis are plucky though and I expect Taylor and their keeper Watling to dig in.
Pity Hazlwood is injured and Matty Wade had to roll his arm over for a few interesting overs, we still miss that Ben Stokes type allrounder at No 6.

The all rounder who does look really good, Cameron Greene, has stress fractured his back.

Reply #2185
Don't know why Head gets a game,  finds ways to get out.  Soft ways.  

He shows a bit with an average of 44 but how many times does he get into a good position then gets himself out with a rubbish shot. It $hits me as it does many others. He's frustrating. Ponting was telling was what was going to happen before it actually happened. Sure enough.............

Reply #2186
That shows that Head is either mentally weak or as dumb as duck sh1t because he isn't learning - that at test level he has to tighten up his technique.   Simply hadn't wised up.   Don't know if we can carry Wade and Head who look to be very similar in style, although Wade has actually made some runs.

Smith isn't batting well either - pressure of expectation seems to have got to him and he hasn't settled in any innings this summer.

If Hazelwood was fit this game would be over.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #2187
Wade is effin' useless

Reply #2188
That shows that Head is either mentally weak or as dumb as duck sh1t because he isn't learning - that at test level he has to tighten up his technique.   Simply hadn't wised up.   Don't know if we can carry Wade and Head who look to be very similar in style, although Wade has actually made some runs.

Smith isn't batting well either - pressure of expectation seems to have got to him and he hasn't settled in any innings this summer.

If Hazelwood was fit this game would be over.

Prof....agree on Head, why with the field set for the legside flick off the hip would you play at those deliveries?Wagner is making a living out of bowling half trackers@130k and getting away with it, looks like if you bowl at a lower pace you can bowl as much short stuff as you like?. If Starc bowled so much short stuff he would be warned I reckon..
Granted not all of them are shoulder high or above but a great percentage are especially bowling at very short players like Wade, Head etc.....

Smith has got carried away with himself and the hype, being inventive works some of the time but Williamson is employing one day tactics with his bowling and field placements.
NZ aim to bowl dot ball after dot ball and are the maiden kings, Smith has to learn they are waiting for him to get himself out rather than the kiwis bowling him out.
I probably rate Kholi higher in this regard as I could see him playing in a more smart conventional manner and pushing into the gaps rather than trying to blast  good balls to the boundary like Smith.

Wont be long now anyway with the Kiwis struggling at 2 down and still miles behind....

Reply #2189
Now 4 down.  They're stuffed