Skip to main content
Topic: Stand Up For Yourself & Your Mates ...... (Read 30892 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Stand Up For Yourself & Your Mates ......

Reply #90
Can you make Pig cr&p from strawberry jam? :o
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #91
I've got no faith atm that this group can play well on a consistent basis - hope they prove my fears to be unfounded.

Don't worry about playing well consistently. I will be happy to play consistently in a single game.

Reply #92
I've got no faith atm that this group can play well on a consistent basis - hope they prove my fears to be unfounded.

Don't worry about playing well consistently. I will be happy to play consistently in a single game.

Not good enough for me - I'm over that.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #93

I think we're all sick of it but that's the first step. When's the last time we did it?

Reply #94

I think we're all sick of it but that's the first step. When's the last time we did it?

Of course it's a first step - but it won't make me happy (well maybe very briefly). I'm resigned atm to not being made happy this year, and even if I am I'll be worried all the time we might slip back in any given game! I've realised I'm insecure about it if you like - that's what barracking for this club over the past 10 years does to you. :o
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #95

Of course it's a first step - but it won't make me happy (well maybe very briefly). I'm resigned atm to not being made happy this year, and even if I am I'll be worried all the time we might slip back in any given game! I've realised I'm insecure about it if you like - that's what barracking for this club over the past 10 years does to you. :o
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #96

That's what you get when the club as a core do not have solid fundamentals.

when you do have the core fundamentals, you can go to a game and know with confidence that they will play 100% for each other
Winning football games is done by teams that can do this longer.
Trouble is today, I m not sure what I m going to get - because its a week to week proposition

Reply #97

We were consistently crap vs the peptides.

Reply #98
Saw an interview with English football Legend Kevin Keegan, and he said something htat got me thinking...
He was talking about leadership, and the importance of leaders and senior figures around Clubs, and how important good solid Leadership is to success and to assisting youngsters coming through the ranks.
He said every Club needs that senior bloke who wouldn't be afraid to put a youngster into place, like give him a verbal or physical clip, and let him know the standards expected around the Club.
This got me thinking...... I cant imagine any of the so called 'Leaders' from around our Club over the past 10 or so years that would / would ve done this.
We used to have Leaders throughout the team back in the day... These days, you d struggle to find another player apart from maybe Juddy or Carrots, who'd let the youngers know what's expected at Carlton.

How sad we ve become....

Reply #99
Saw an interview with English football Legend Kevin Keegan, and he said something htat got me thinking...
He was talking about leadership, and the importance of leaders and senior figures around Clubs, and how important good solid Leadership is to success and to assisting youngsters coming through the ranks.
He said every Club needs that senior bloke who wouldn't be afraid to put a youngster into place, like give him a verbal or physical clip, and let him know the standards expected around the Club.
This got me thinking...... I cant imagine any of the so called 'Leaders' from around our Club over the past 10 or so years that would / would ve done this.
We used to have Leaders throughout the team back in the day... These days, you d struggle to find another player apart from maybe Juddy or Carrots, who'd let the youngers know what's expected at Carlton.

How sad we ve become....

That's a symptom of lack of success though Dom.
Can you imagine a young Carlton lad coming into the side in 1973 or 1983.
There would be role models to the left and right of them.....but those same role models started their times at the club with the likes of Jesaulenko, Nicholls, Walls, Silvagni, Hunter, Doull, Southby....and the Dominator (not sure just what they'd learn from him ;)) to watch and learn from.
The Geelongs and Hawthorns will have no trouble in the leadership stakes for the next decade.

As well as being bashed senseless in his first couple of years, because no-one would stand up for him, who has Murphy had to guide him.

Reply #100
These days, you d struggle to find another player apart from maybe Juddy or Carrots, who'd let the youngers know what's expected at Carlton.

How sad we ve become....
[/quote

McLean is a very straight shooter! but then he goes and sulks in the corner!

Reply #101
As well as being bashed senseless in his first couple of years, because no-one would stand up for him, who has Murphy had to guide him.

Interesting that Jab Watson on TFS last night commented on what a difficult job it is, especially for a young bloke to learn as you go along. Only thing is Murph is not a young bloke and he still has no idea so that makes him an even worse candidate. Whoever selected Murph, whether it was MM or his (Murph's) peers, it was a miscalculation of epic proportions.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #102
Go back to the Pagan days where he stripped the club of a lot of the older boys that were part of that culture of leadership for the young-uns.
Takes awhile for that leadership culture to grow again, but you need to have success to be able to have confidence to do it as well as the newbies looking up to a successful footballer.
In Carlton's case, it is a real CATCH 22 >:(
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #103
Go back to the Pagan days where he stripped the club of a lot of the older boys that were part of that culture of leadership for the young-uns.
Takes awhile for that leadership culture to grow again, but you need to have success to be able to have confidence to do it as well as the newbies looking up to a successful footballer.

I still think that was Pagans biggest mistake. (actually he'd probably say coming there in the first place was his biggest mistake ;) :D)

There were several of our star players who probably could have gone around for another one or two years.
They might have ended up having less than glorious years, but I suspect they could still have contributed.
More importantly there would have been that gradual generational change and guidance for the younger group.
They would certainly have been at least the equal to a number of the players Pagan bought in.

Reply #104

I still think that was Pagans biggest mistake. (actually he'd probably say coming there in the first place was his biggest mistake ;) :D)

There were several of our star players who probably could have gone around for another one or two years.
They might have ended up having less than glorious years, but I suspect they could still have contributed.
More importantly there would have been that gradual generational change and guidance for the younger group.
They would certainly have been at least the equal to a number of the players Pagan bought in.

Yup and the club had zero governance and no idea so they just went along with whatever until they completely freaked out and put in blanket rules. Hopefully the same scenario doesn't play out here. Malthouse doesn't seem as fixed as The Penguin though