Skip to main content
Topic: Stand Up For Yourself & Your Mates ...... (Read 31088 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Stand Up For Yourself & Your Mates ......

Reply #60
Bloody terrific comments here. This is probably one of the most important threads at present... supported by the apparent fact that the players came out of their meeting after Sunday night realising they had not played for each other.

How could that happen in the first place? Seething.  :( :(

Why can't this group concentrate for 120 minutes? A previous poster mentioned how the Dawks players jump around all over the mark, and I would add that they invariably also grab a cm or 55 in the process - that takes an attitude of absolute rage that the opposition has got the aggott and a ruthless commitment to give 150% of every second of every minute to make it tough for opponents when they've got the aggott, plus a ruthless commitment to get it back... etc. (terribly worded paragraph... hope you get what I mean).

This group won't win a Premiership but FFS let's at least get the best out of them between now and r22 so we know who stays and who goes. And that could easily apply to all coaches as well.

difference with the hawks is 3 fold
hard to get back into the side if you fk up
they have a real resolve not to let their mates down
their leadership group is as hard as nails

we just don't have any of that at carlton

Reply #61
There is still time to grow some balls. We saw Brisbane turn it around and win a flag after we flogged them in 2001. I think we need to stop bagging our guys and let them know what we expect from them. A hard, uncompromising, team-oriented effort.

Reply #62
"And they will know that they've been playing
Against the famous Old Dark Blues"

To me at least, this line has always meant that the opposition will ALWAYS come off the ground after the final siren battered and bruised knowing they have played a tough, hard game of football and where if they didn't play at their best, they were going to get smashed.

To me we have lost an important and proud part of our culture. Surely some of the spirit of Carlton guys could remind our current players what the last couple of lines of our song is supposed to mean !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #63
We all watched Dylan Buckley go it alone with Goddard until Jamison strolled in late to push Goddard away but on Footy Classified they also showed an Essendon newbie in Jason Ashby pushing Marc Murphy on the boundary line......its not on and Murphy should have not allowed some pimply faced kid to stand over him....Murphy took it and walked away. We have to get tougher as a team and Murphy has to toughen up as captain or lose the job IMO.
Its sends the wrong message to the playing group and to opposing teams......we were/are weak and the Bombers know they can bully us.

Yeah, I just don't get it. I thought the club was fuming over the Lonergan incident a couple of years ago. All that fuming only produced what we saw on Sunday. Pox!

Reply #64
One can contest aggressively even bully , but be smart about it . That's what needs to be taught and instilled into the players, it will take a long time and right attitude, from  leaders examples. That's the difference.
Look at Hodge, Mitchell, skilled and experienced and  yet they get away with it easily so often.
Retaliating per say is childish and unprofessional and will land them in more trouble.

Hodge is a smug thug sniper, and the Dawks love him for it!
Add to that overrated hack IMO however by Christ he can lead a group of men. He talks people listen, he acts people are intimidated.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #65
Love it when we start talking up mongrel, ruthlessness and spirit... the all dark navy spirit.

Also love that the players came out of their heart-to-heart wanting to commit to playing more for their team mates. Now that should be the very last meeting where that should be stated... that ethic should flow through their veins in every second of every game from hereon - has to be as 2nd nature as breathing.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #66

To me at least, this line has always meant that the opposition will ALWAYS come off the ground after the final siren battered and bruised knowing they have played a tough, hard game of football and where if they didn't play at their best, they were going to get smashed.

To me we have lost an important and proud part of our culture. Surely some of the spirit of Carlton guys could remind our current players what the last couple of lines of our song is supposed to mean !!

that's why Brereton was a legend several years ago
in one game, he changed the culture of what the jumper means
never again were they bent over

Reply #67

difference with the hawks is 3 fold
hard to get back into the side if you fk up
they have a real resolve not to let their mates down
their leadership group is as hard as nails

we just don't have any of that at carlton
Zero
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #68
One can contest aggressively even bully , but be smart about it . That's what needs to be taught and instilled into the players, it will take a long time and right attitude, from  leaders examples. That's the difference.
Look at Hodge, Mitchell, skilled and experienced and  yet they get away with it easily so often.
Retaliating per say is childish and unprofessional and will land them in more trouble.

Hodge is a smug thug sniper, and the Dawks love him for it!
Add to that overrated hack IMO however by Christ he can lead a group of men. He talks people listen, he acts people are intimidated.

fk no, he plays til he bleeds
he takes out players - the victims take it as a compliment.
best leader by example - in the selwood mould
His team mates genuinely do not want to let him down

Reply #69
There is still time to grow some balls. We saw Brisbane turn it around and win a flag after we flogged them in 2001. I think we need to stop bagging our guys and let them know what we expect from them. A hard, uncompromising, team-oriented effort.
One word, Ruthless.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #70
One word, Ruthless.

Always been my favourite word for our football club... now for our group to get that word into their blood stream.

Reply #71

I have been to many SOC lunches and functions, I have seen the current day players at these functions. Despite being the presence of some of Australian Rules's greatest players, they are constantly looking at their phones and watches dying to get the fork out of there.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #72

I have been to many SOC lunches and functions, I have seen the current day players at these functions. Despite being the presence of some of Australian Rules's greatest players, they are constantly looking at their phones and watches dying to get the fork out of there.

that's a concern

Reply #73

that's a concern

WO... that is a serious concern. That shows a lack of respect; lack of appreciation of what is around them. Totally unacceptable in every way. Club has to ban those f*cking phones and instruct our jellybacks to look and learn. Mmm, sorry, bit harsh, but maybe but our softness has to be addressed by smart but uncompromised discipline. Ruthless discipline. Don't like it? Then f*ck off.

Reply #74
One word, Ruthless.

Always been my favourite word for our football club... now for our group to get that word into their blood stream.
Baggers our teams of old had this word in their the blood stream. They went out week in week out and were Ruthless in their approach. You  knew you played against us. They didn't win every single game but the Ruthless attitude against your opposition WAS not negotiable in days gone by. Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney believe in being Ruthless week in week out and it is non negotiable. Watch them run out, you can see it in their eyes, its a look. I salivate at the thought of our blokes being Ruthless week in week out. It wouldn't matter to me one bit if they lost a game so long as everyone to man can look at each other in the eye and honestly say "I was Ruthless today for 120 mins".
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th