Skip to main content
Topic: Stand Up For Yourself & Your Mates ...... (Read 31091 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Stand Up For Yourself & Your Mates ......

Reply #75
Yeah, I just don't get it. I thought the club was fuming over the Lonergan incident a couple of years ago. All that fuming only produced what we saw on Sunday. Pox!

Without wishing to inflame the Ratten sacking debate, I'm pretty sure that it was Ratten who was fuming over the Lonergan incident.  It probably isn't front of mind for Malthouse and wouldn't have figured in the pre-game build-up.

The issue of standing up to attempted intimidation and being intimidating ourselves is problematic because the players are schooled to curb their emotions and fined or otherwise penalised if they get reported.  It's also a long standing issue with Hawthorn revealing how easy it was to put our players off their game quite a few years ago.

It won't happen but a few team rules could turn this around:

1.  The opposition tagger must be sat on their arse within the first 5 minutes.
2.  The opposition tagger must be blocked and bumped at every opportunity.
3.  Anyone who gets in the skipper's face must be sat on their arse immediately.
4.  Anyone who gets in the face of any of our younger or smaller players must be immediately sat on their arse.
5.  Our bigger blokes (anyone over 90kg) must throw their weight around, even if it gives up a free.
6.  The opposition must "know that they've been playing against the famous Old Dark Blues" because they will be black and blue.

Playing Bell and Robbo is an essential part of giving the team a harder edge.  Casboult could be handy too.  In fact, I'd be happy to overlook flaws in their games as long as they get physical with the opposition.

Rowe is another one.  I remember being pleased with his recruitment because he made a statement about hurting opponents.  He has to be encouraged to do that.

Of course, I don't mean sniping or taking cheap shots; just going hard at the footy - and anyone who happens to be in the way. 

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #76
Yeah, I just don't get it. I thought the club was fuming over the Lonergan incident a couple of years ago. All that fuming only produced what we saw on Sunday. Pox!

Without wishing to inflame the Ratten sacking debate, I'm pretty sure that it was Ratten who was fuming over the Lonergan incident.  It probably isn't front of mind for Malthouse and wouldn't have figured in the pre-game build-up.

The issue of standing up to attempted intimidation and being intimidating ourselves is problematic because the players are schooled to curb their emotions and fined or otherwise penalised if they get reported.  It's also a long standing issue with Hawthorn revealing how easy it was to put our players off their game quite a few years ago.

3.  Anyone who gets in the skipper's face must be sat on their arse immediately.
4.  Anyone who gets in the face of any of our younger or smaller players must be immediately sat on their arse.
5.  Our bigger blokes (anyone over 90kg) must throw their weight around, even if it gives up a free.
6.  The opposition must "know that they've been playing against the famous Old Dark Blues" because they will be black and blue.

Playing Bell and Robbo is an essential part of giving the team a harder edge.  Casboult could be handy too.  In fact, I'd be happy to overlook flaws in their games as long as they get physical with the opposition.

Rowe is another one.  I remember being pleased with his recruitment because he made a statement about hurting opponents.  He has to be encouraged to do that.

Of course, I don't mean sniping or taking cheap shots; just going hard at the footy - and anyone who happens to be in the way.

Agree with all of that...any chance you can start in Micks job on Saturday about 1.30pm... ;)

Reply #77

If you can't do Micks job on the weekend, could you at least sms this post to him. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #78
Sorry fellas, I'm babysitting my grandsons on Saturday  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #79
Sorry fellas, I'm babysitting my grandsons on Saturday  ;)

Bring em along. We need some players with ticker. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #80
We need to immediately instil a culture of "consequence"
you let the team down? there's a consequence.
you fail in an act that puts your brothers in harms way? there's a consequence
you have a chance in a game to redeem yourself
you fail?
you have to earn back the respect through the 2's
some in the 2's has done the right thing? needs to be rewarded

The ethos works equally both ways - until that happens, you have no rules, you have no culture!
When Mick says, "I know the bloke, I know his character"
Mick, you know nothing until its proven in the eyes of other team mates - not words, not vibes
When you have rules and consequences - the team picks itself!

Reply #81
Yes. They must be prepared to pay the price!

Reply #82
you fail?

The ethos works equally both ways - until that happens, you have no rules, you have no culture!
Mick, you know nothing until its proven in the eyes of other team mates - not words, not vibes

Where's the 'Like' button?

Reply #83
you fail?

Ruthless
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #84
Our new-old mantra. RUTHLESS!!!!!!

Reply #85
MM is a good coach, and from what I hear a good guy
but in sharper focus now he's at the blues, what I see is a one dimensional
coach.
A true professional is defined by someone who works with what he's got, not seek excuses in what he hasn't.
I m surprised no one on the board reminded him strongly of this when he presented during the week

when I saw his results in 2002-3 with the list he had - the admiration from me was he was able to get a list to collectively play
better than their capabilities.
this seems to have escaped him in later years.
His challenges are not the game plan and whether the team can play it. Its to instil confidence in each and everyone of them personally that it can be done - not through his assistants - HIM PERSONALLY.
His coaching skills needs to adapt from the physical aspects, to what's above the shoulders.

If he fails to do this - he has to understand there will be consequences
The luxury of list culls and prize recruits are conversations to be had by coaches of lesser ability

Reply #86
coach.
A true professional is defined by someone who works with what he's got, not seek excuses in what he hasn't.
I m surprised no one on the board reminded him strongly of this when he presented during the week

when I saw his results in 2002-3 with the list he had - the admiration from me was he was able to get a list to collectively play
His challenges are not the game plan and whether the team can play it. Its to instil confidence in each and everyone of them personally that it can be done - not through his assistants - HIM PERSONALLY.
His coaching skills needs to adapt from the physical aspects, to what's above the shoulders.

The luxury of list culls and prize recruits are conversations to be had by coaches of lesser ability

You speak with a wise mind TTB ;)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #87
coach.

You can't make Strawberry Jam out of pig crap
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #88
coach.

You can't make Strawberry Jam out of pig crap

1st 1/4 1st round was strawberry jam

Last sunday was pig crap

Reply #89
The worry is that we could be pig cr@p that sometimes masquerades as strawberry jam, albeit very briefly and not often enough?

I've got no faith atm that this group can play well on a consistent basis - hope they prove my fears to be unfounded.
Reality always wins in the end.