Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 4: Northern Blues vs. Frankston on Sunday (Read 26288 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 4: Northern Blues vs. Frankston on Sunday

Reply #15
After today, Watson deserves a 6 week run in the seniors replacing Jone's.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #16
After today, Watson deserves a 6 week run in the seniors replacing Jone's.

Make it 8. Give him a chance to get it right. He will kick more than Jones has for us in 6 games without trying. For starters he can kick a football. That is a good start.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #17
Jones is 1.98cm and 98kg (Casboult is 1.98cm and 99kg) so he is certainly big enough.  He just doesn't play to his size and that was the knock on him at the Bulldogs. 

I'm not giving up on him yet but I don't think he can play anywhere other than as a key forward.

Jones 198? He looks way smaller than Casboult. Not doubting you, just surprised.

Reply #18

Q1     Q2              Q3           Q4
Frankston              0.0            5.4-34   6.4-40   9.8-62
Northern Blues   5.5-35   6.8-44   10.13-73   11.14-80

FRANKSTON
Goal Kickers: N. Gardiner 2, B. Irving , D. Sutton , D. Clark , J. Pickess , B. Cavarra , J. Pollard , J. Douglas
Best Players: , K. Post , B. Cavarra , C. Buchan , J. Newman , J. Tynan , T. Pridgeon

NORTHERN BLUES
Goal Kickers: M. Watson 3, M. Kreuzer 2, T. Menzel 2, F. Russell 2, B. Johnson , N. Holman
Best Players: , N. Holman , K. McGuinness , J. Perry , B. Bransgrove , B. Johnson , J. Tutt
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #19
            Q1     Q2              Q3           Q4
Frankston              0.0            5.4-34   6.4-40   9.8-62
Northern Blues   5.5-35   6.8-44   10.13-73   11.14-80

FRANKSTON
Goal Kickers: N. Gardiner 2, B. Irving , D. Sutton , D. Clark , J. Pickess , B. Cavarra , J. Pollard , J. Douglas
Best Players: , K. Post , B. Cavarra , C. Buchan , J. Newman , J. Tynan , T. Pridgeon

NORTHERN BLUES
Goal Kickers: M. Watson 3, M. Kreuzer 2, T. Menzel 2, F. Russell 2, B. Johnson , N. Holman
Best Players: , N. Holman , K. McGuinness , J. Perry , B. Bransgrove , B. Johnson , J. Tutt

Holman been in the best players now for three weeks as a onballer tagger, reckon he might get a game this week...

Reply #20
They'll be tempted to rush Kreuzer back but, if the club is fair dinkum, he will be given a couple of weeks with the NBs.

Watson should really get a game this week; Jones has had his six weeks and has given very little.
Absolutely. It is no good promoting guys without form or fitness. Once Kreuzer starts showing some of both, then we can promote him.

As for Watson, he has to get a game. Jones has had a good run and produced very little. He had his chance today and he couldn't make a go of it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #21
Which is funny you say that Crash. mick dropped Levi because he had what Mick thought was little form. Yet Jones plays every game with little to offer. Mick said he doesn't choose favourites, yet Mick was part of the decision to get jones in the first place. Mick needs to have one rule for all the playing group. IMO. Am I wrong to say this ?
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #22
Which is funny you say that Crash. mick dropped Levi because he had what Mick thought was little form. Yet Jones plays every game with little to offer. Mick said he doesn't choose favourites, yet Mick was part of the decision to get jones in the first place. Mick needs to have one rule for all the playing group. IMO. Am I wrong to say this ?
Malthouse must see something in him that I do not. I cannot think of any other reason for Jones still being there.
Mind you, Casboult probably did need some time in the VFL. As it was, he was probably lucky to be selected this week, given his form in the VFL last week. However, he took his chance in a big way: big marks, some nice goals and a decent effort in the ruck. He still doesn't do enough, but he showed he wanted to be out there. He deserves his pay check this week.

Jones is a conundrum: he has pace and a good set of hands, but he doesn't hold enough marks and he misses goals he needs to kick. He probably won't get a better chance this season to impress than he did today, but he didn't take his chances. He took a couple of very nice marks, but made no impression on the scoreboard and did nothing on the ground (even with his pace and strength).
I can understand that Malthouse may have given him an arc of 6 games or so to show his wares. But that is now up. Watson deserves a go, issues that he has not withstanding.
If there is any other reason for Jones to be playing, then Malthouse and the MC have made a serious error. It would suggest favouritism that I would prefer not to see. It is time to finish this iteration up and try the next one.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #23
I think Jones has more leniency because he's new to the team. I think he's had a fair go and now Watson needs to come in.

Shame really, after first hearing we were into Jones I thought it was a terrible move, then after hearing comments from the club and watching some highlights I changed my opinion and thought he could be very good.

I'm starting to think I was right the first time.

Reply #24
In hindsight, we could've got more games into Watson and picked up a promising youngster with pick #42.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #25
Jones 198? He looks way smaller than Casboult. Not doubting you, just surprised.

He's a big lump alright but the way he plays gives the impression that he isn't as big.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #26
He needs to play CHB and learn how to work.

Reply #28
Jone's should go to the NBs and be encouraged/assisted to improve his marking and kicking for goal. When he has reached the required standard then he can again be considered for senior selection. Jone's needs to be a leading forward IMO, he's better suited to that rather than a body on body type.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #29
Jone's should go to the NBs and be encouraged/assisted to improve his marking and kicking for goal. When he has reached the required standard then he can again be considered for senior selection. Jone's needs to be a leading forward IMO, he's better suited to that rather than a body on body type.

I'm with JH and IOT on Jones...reckon he needs to play CHB and learn some work ethic....Watosn has improved going forward and Jones may have the tools to play CHB as he is athletic.
Jordan Roughead at the Bulldogs was/is similar to Jones....started his career forward and was inconsistent due to work rate but now being played back and has blossomed.....