Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 4: Northern Blues vs. Frankston on Sunday (Read 26283 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 4: Northern Blues vs. Frankston on Sunday

Reply #30
Which is funny you say that Crash. mick dropped Levi because he had what Mick thought was little form. Yet Jones plays every game with little to offer. Mick said he doesn't choose favourites, yet Mick was part of the decision to get jones in the first place. Mick needs to have one rule for all the playing group. IMO. Am I wrong to say this ?

No, you're not wrong to say this, Green Stick. Not wrong at all.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #31
I think they should think about playing Jones down back. We are a little small down there at the moment and I do not think Jacsk is the answer down there yet. Plenty of forwards have gone down back and made a success and it would give him a chance to just run forward in a straight line. It would also give us a chance to play Watson. If he is going to delisted at the end of the year we should at least give him the opportunity to make his case.

Reply #32
I'm with JH and IOT on Jones...reckon he needs to play CHB and learn some work ethic....Watosn has improved going forward and Jones may have the tools to play CHB as he is athletic.
Jordan Roughead at the Bulldogs was/is similar to Jones....started his career forward and was inconsistent due to work rate but now being played back and has blossomed.....

Could be right, worth a try I guess but we are desperate for good forwards. We are desperately lacking ones that lead/mark or have goal kicking accuracy. I guess there was a bit of light via Casboult this week. I would like to see Hendo focus on CHB personally, that's his best performed role.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #33
I'd agree, also, but apparently the bloke doesn't have much of a tank so any forward he played on would just run him around until he's knackered.

The bloke needs to go back to the NBs and spend many weeks being the no. 1 lead up forward. We got him in as the third tall... because he was no good with any greater responsibility!!! FMD. ::)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #34
Agree with the sentiment that Watson needs an extended run in the 1s.

Dropping Cas before Jones was laughable in the first place. Mick totally screwed up selection for the Pies game - not for the first time. Warnock! Really - Warnock???????

Having said that - we are not losing because of Cas, Jones or Hendo. We're losing because we have the worst skill level in the comp across the entire team - most notably in the mids and half back. Confidence is at absolute rock bottom. The focus needs to be on handball and run - not bomb long to a 3 on 1.

Having Simo, Yarran, Menzel, Kreuze and Hendo back might help. Watson is also a very good kick. As is Sheehan - maybe even Byrne could help in this department. We'll have to find a spot for Jamo the panic merchant also I guess.

Right now we look like certainties for the spoon which is bad but the skill level looks like we'd get done by the U12s.

Reply #35
Agree with the sentiment that Watson needs an extended run in the 1s.

Dropping Cas before Jones was laughable in the first place. Mick totally screwed up selection for the Pies game - not for the first time. Warnock! Really - Warnock???????

Having said that - we are not losing because of Cas, Jones or Hendo. We're losing because we have the worst skill level in the comp across the entire team - most notably in the mids and half back. Confidence is at absolute rock bottom. The focus needs to be on handball and run - not bomb long to a 3 on 1.

Having Simo, Yarran, Menzel, Kreuze and Hendo back might help. Watson is also a very good kick. As is Sheehan - maybe even Byrne could help in this department. We'll have to find a spot for Jamo the panic merchant also I guess.

Right now we look like certainties for the spoon which is bad but the skill level looks like we'd get done by the U12s.

Think you're on it Jeza! Just for starters, we need to find a new captain that provides on field inspiration and leadership and let Murph just worry about his own midfield role as just a senior player, we need to do something about Gibbs who is just pleasing himself atm, and we need to either move Walker forward or let him go. There are plenty of other moves also, but I think they're the ones at the core of our malaise and must be fixed if we are to even start moving forward.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #36
I'm with JH and IOT on Jones...reckon he needs to play CHB and learn some work ethic....Watosn has improved going forward and Jones may have the tools to play CHB as he is athletic.
Jordan Roughead at the Bulldogs was/is similar to Jones....started his career forward and was inconsistent due to work rate but now being played back and has blossomed.....
I wouldn't complain if we tried. It makes some sense, especially as he has been found wanting as a forward. But let's do it at VFL level first. We can't afford to have too many guys learning the trade while in the seniors.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #37
2015 AFL Victoria Development League
Frankston   3.0  5.2  7.3  10.6 (66)
Northern Blues   4.2  5.5  10.9  12.14 (86)

Nice to know who did what, but details are minimal at this point.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #38
Walsh Watch?
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #39
I think they should think about playing Jones down back. We are a little small down there at the moment and I do not think Jacsk is the answer down there yet. Plenty of forwards have gone down back and made a success and it would give him a chance to just run forward in a straight line. It would also give us a chance to play Watson. If he is going to delisted at the end of the year we should at least give him the opportunity to make his case.

McKay said over summer that Jaksch is earmarked to play forward but initially he'll develop by playing 3rd tall down back. So playing back is temporary.

Reply #40
Walsh Watch?

Didnt seem to be in the best players....Nick Holman is another we should add to the watch list, I am on his bandwagon along with Walsh... ;)

Reply #41
Didnt seem to be in the best players....Nick Holman is another we should add to the watch list, I am on his bandwagon along with Walsh... ;)

It was good he stepped up in Graham's absence.

They are grooming him for another run with player though, that is my only concern.

We are the only senior side that seems to employ a tagger anymore and we have Curnow and now using Whiley.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #42

They are grooming him for another run with player though, that is my only concern.

We are the only senior side that seems to employ a tagger anymore and we have Curnow and now using Whiley.

Didn't we have Armfield, Curnow and Whiley at one stoppage.

Please god, no more taggers.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #43

Been getting more of the footy has Holman and I think he is less negative than Curnow or Whiley...kicked a pressure goal the week before
and being a leftie I think he is a bit more constructive with the football..

Agree we dont need any more taggers but we do need some kids who can find the footy and be discplined......Holman can also play off the half back flank
and is a decent size at 189cm......the way Walker was using the footy I'd take anyone back there ...

Reply #44
Jones 198? He looks way smaller than Casboult. Not doubting you, just surprised.

I bumped into Jones in a JBhifi store and was surprised at how tall he was but shocked at how lean he was. I'm talking girl arms !!
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!