Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Parlay: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 35868 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Parlay: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #225
Well, I don't really want to get into an argument about what constitutes "slow", but I consider him to be slow. And I know he wins the ball, but as I suggested, we don't really have a problem with winning the ball.

And he's a mature body and he's hard at it, and he can go forward, take a mark and kick a goal.

LOB - nope.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #226
On that point we are in 100% agreement.

18 years old weighing 70-something kilos playing in an abject misery of a team and we're going the glass is half empty!

I don't know how well you remember those last 2 games of his last year but I think he's being sold short. There was 1 other game which he was really good - maybe Hawthorn I think. It's a bloody good achievement for a kid and full credit to him.

He was pretty rubbish against the Swans but he'll bounce back from that.

I'll give him a chance but I remember being more excited by kane Lucas.

I have yet to see "it" with o brien.

He's the one player I'm most worried about out of all our draftees.

Polson shows a competitive instinct.
Fisher is perhaps the best of the lot.
Sps is silky.
Dow has wow factor.
Weitering is reliable and shows class.
Curnow has x factor.
McKay has shown he can influence games and moves extremely well for a big man.
Kerr is a bit old school but kicks it well, is competitive in the air, but is a bit old school.
Jack silvagni shows a competitive edge, and seems clever despite his limitations.
Cunningham is clean and knows where the goals are.
Walsh is the most complete player we've drafted.

O brien worries me.  I've yet to see "it".
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #227
What he said.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #228
O'Brien and Dow are a bit timid just yet, they're not naturally aggressive and it will take them a few years to get comfortable.
They both have good skills and good aerobic capacity, they'll be good players.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #229
I concede the Swans are ultra-professional and nearly always do the right thing, the little things.

I think that’s the key LP; we’re a long way off always doing the right thing.  That won’t matter too much against other developing teams but will hurt us when we play top eight contenders.

I suspect we won’t start doing the right thing consistently until we start stringing wins together, and I think that it will be the wins that encourage the right things rather than the other way around.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #230
O'Brien and Dow are a bit timid just yet, they're not naturally aggressive and it will take them a few years to get comfortable.

I tend to agree.

Reply #231
I'll give him a chance but I remember being more excited by kane Lucas.

I have yet to see "it" with o brien.

He's the one player I'm most worried about out of all our draftees.

Polson shows a competitive instinct.
Fisher is perhaps the best of the lot.
Sps is silky.
Dow has wow factor.
Weitering is reliable and shows class.
Curnow has x factor.
McKay has shown he can influence games and moves extremely well for a big man.
Kerr is a bit old school but kicks it well, is competitive in the air, but is a bit old school.
Jack silvagni shows a competitive edge, and seems clever despite his limitations.
Cunningham is clean and knows where the goals are.
Walsh is the most complete player we've drafted.

O brien worries me.  I've yet to see "it".

Impossible to argue with your point about him not showing "it".
Agree to disagree. It takes a bit of imagination as he's so light but he has to build an AFL ready body before any judgement can be even slightly credible but guys that can run and kick like O'Brien don't come along very often.

Reply #232
re obrien...
There was one bit of play in either the 3rd or 4th quarter where i saw some bloke sprinting and dodging his way down the ground where i thought, gee, who is that bloke! Then i saw it was Obrien and i was pleasantly surprised.

Thats about as close to 'it' as i've seen from him thus far.

Reply #233
I thought Dow had one of his worst game for the Club last Sat v Syd. He seemed to miss targets, goals and was generally messy with some of his disposals. But to his credit, he worked his ass off. He is a jet though and is entitled to an off game every now and then.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #234
I thought Dow had one of his worst game for the Club last Sat v Syd. He seemed to miss targets, goals and was generally messy with some of his disposals. But to his credit, he worked his ass off. He is a jet though and is entitled to an off game every now and then.

He got off to a bad start with that shocking miss in the first few minutes and didn't really recover, his games against Richmond and Port were good.
He'll be a good player, possibly a very good player.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #235
He got off to a bad start with that shocking miss in the first few minutes and didn't really recover, his games against Richmond and Port were good.
He'll be a good player, possibly a very good player.
No doubt about it B4L. Lets not forget, Crippa didnt set the world on fire early. Many said he was too fat, too slow etc etc. We all know how thats turned out.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #236
The hardest thing for the kids to learn in sport is to let go of your mistakes, it's probably the biggest difference between a team full of experienced heads and newbies.

The newbies either go introspective or start finger-pointing and as a result lose focus, the old heads just rinse and repeat!

Out of our lot, seniors and kids, only Daisy seems to have mastered the art of getting on with it. sMurph and Simmo look a bit sulky at times, Jones loses his bundle and SpecialK gets shy!

But anyway, that's the job of the coaches, to get them all up and about at the same time!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #237

Dow's disposal was off, and from memory he got caught with the ball a few times.
He works very hard though, he gets into good positions and he tackles.
Reminds me so much of Judd... Even his kicking for goal is the same.

Reply #238
Dow's disposal was off, and from memory he got caught with the ball a few times.
He works very hard though, he gets into good positions and he tackles.
Reminds me so much of Judd... Even his kicking for goal is the same.

Disposal wise he was shocking but he'll work on that...

What WAS great was his sheer explosiveness - he burnt several Sydney players off (and not their old timers) easily....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #239
The hardest thing for the kids to learn in sport is to let go of your mistakes, it's probably the biggest difference between a team full of experienced heads and newbies.

The newbies either go introspective or start finger-pointing and as a result lose focus, the old heads just rinse and repeat!

Out of our lot, seniors and kids, only Daisy seems to have mastered the art of getting on with it. sMurph and Simmo look a bit sulky at times, Jones loses his bundle and SpecialK gets shy!

But anyway, that's the job of the coaches, to get them all up and about at the same time!

Yes indeed.
Finals, then 4 in a row!