Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Parlay: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 35597 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Parlay: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #240
I watched Cripps' first game,  for the NBs,  and he was horribly slow,  and looked unfit.   But he stood up in the last quarter, won vital clearances and took a big mark in the square to win the game.   He dragged that team across the line.   He clearly had "it", although he wasn't ready physically. The kid was clearly a footballer looking to develop athletic prowess. He knew where to go for a kick,  and just how he hard to go to get it.    He had footy smarts, understood the physicality required and spent his petrol tickets wisely.

Some of our kicks have had injuries which have stymied their physical development and game time,  but I can't believe we'd draft spuds and lazy blokes in the first place.   Given Walshs'gut running I don't see our kids lacking in that area. For some they just need time to develop the base, injuries haven't helped.

My worry with OBrien is he looks an athlete first and footballer second.   Like so many kids he looks shocked by the speed and physicality of senior footy.  So why hasn't he been given a grounding to redress this?  I know that physicality and being an outside runner seem to be mutually exclusive, but it's not kiddie football, the reality is that it's a hard game and you need to be mentally and physically prepared for it.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #241
I watched Cripps' first game,  for the NBs,  and he was horribly slow,  and looked unfit.   But he stood up in the last quarter, won vital clearances and took a big mark in the square to win the game.   He dragged that team across the line.   He clearly had "it", although he wasn't ready physically. The kid was clearly a footballer looking to develop athletic prowess. He knew where to go for a kick,  and just how he hard to go to get it.    He had footy smarts, understood the physicality required and spent his petrol tickets wisely.

Some of our kicks have had injuries which have stymied their physical development and game time,  but I can't believe we'd draft spuds and lazy blokes in the first place.   Given Walshs'gut running I don't see our kids lacking in that area. For some they just need time to develop the base, injuries haven't helped.

My worry with OBrien is he looks an athlete first and footballer second.   Like so many kids he looks shocked by the speed and physicality of senior footy.  So why hasn't he been given a grounding to redress this?  I know that physicality and being an outside runner seem to be mutually exclusive, but it's not kiddie football, the reality is that it's a hard game and you need to be mentally and physically prepared for it.

So there is no debate - O'Brien should not have been playing senior footy last year and at 17 other clubs he wouldn't have gotten a game (most likely). But he clearly went past Dow last season and by the end of the year put in 2 exceptional performances that showed me why SOS drafted him.

Reply #242
No doubt about it B4L. Lets not forget, Crippa didnt set the world on fire early. Many said he was too fat, too slow etc etc. We all know how thats turned out.

It's not a worry if you're too fat and too slow when you're the best player in the comp.

Reply #243
I watched Cripps' first game,  for the NBs,  and he was horribly slow,  and looked unfit.

It's one of the very facts that keep me buoyant about the future of JSoS.

Cripps is a clear indicator you can significantly improve acceleration and top speed through training, anyone who watched him go for a run down the wing last weekend knows that!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #244
If memory serves me correctly, many had the same knock on Josh Kelly early on. Not suggesting for a minute that he will turn out like JK, but given time, he may develop into a decent footballer.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #245
So there is no debate - O'Brien should not have been playing senior footy last year and at 17 other clubs he wouldn't have gotten a game (most likely). But he clearly went past Dow last season and by the end of the year put in 2 exceptional performances that showed me why SOS drafted him.

I'm not sure about going past Paddy Dow.  2 exceptional performances??  He was ok.  Not good, not bad, just ok.  Its not about how much of what they do that is important in the formative years, its glimpses (because thats all we really see as a prelude to anything else).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p1l7yMe_iY

Paddy had a very almost game for a youngster.  Kid almost made a big impact on a result of footy.  The effort (and subsequent repeat efforts) at 3mins 40 (end of the 3/4) is what has got everyone excited about Paddy. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdxTrKAzreQ

Got his rising star nomination against Collingwood.

At minimum, draftees can have a 4 year apprenticeship but at the moment, this is what we have for Lachie O'Brien in terms of a highlight reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5RxyKnJFVU

His two games in rounds 22 and 23 were his best right?

Round 22 vs the Dogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee6NAE-Isic

Round 23 game highlights vs the Crows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT3wA-Ka-WE

I get it.  You are a fan, that's fine.  FWIW, his best game was against the Gold Coast in round 19 when we won and its because he provided much more overlap run than he has been in the other games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcBHsWezdto

You see him providing options here that he just isnt doing in the other videos.  Oh, Number 2 had a handy game in this one too...

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #246
If memory serves me correctly, many had the same knock on Josh Kelly early on. Not suggesting for a minute that he will turn out like JK, but given time, he may develop into a decent footballer.

What's the success rate for athletes turned into footballers, and is that somehow reflected in the other skills of the game?

Is this conversion concept the real reason no feckas can kick the football anymore?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #247
I still don't get it - Kennedy was BOG the week before, massive pump up via video from Stanton, not picked.

LOB has a very so so game in the same game, and gets a jumper.

WTF?

(i note no mention anywhere that Kennedy was injured again)

Point is, you simply can't have 2 or 3 blokes on the park who are only going to touch it a handful of times....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #248
What's the success rate for athletes turned into footballers, and is that somehow reflected in the other skills of the game?

Is this conversion concept the real reason no feckas can kick the football anymore?

The thing that goes against what you are saying re kicking is that the Irish imports have a reputation for being such great kicks.

Reply #249
The thing that goes against what you are saying re kicking is that the Irish imports have a reputation for being such great kicks.

But perhaps that is because they come from a round ball sport and are not strictly athletics types, the Gaelic footy players have an even narrower margin for error kicking the round ball or it just hoops away from the intended target.

I think when fans refer to converted athletes they are more focused on distance running, basketball, tri-athletes, soccer, rugby or other such sports. Sure Mason Cox is a natural advantage, but do you want him trying to hit leading targets, Blicavs is tall and aerobically gifted, but will he weave through traffic and hit the moving forward lace out?

Further, I don;t think it's fair to allocate guys like Pendlebury as a convert, yet some do! Guys that played junior football are not converts, they are reclamations!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #250
The theory I’ve heard postulated regarding the Irish guys and even Cox is that they have never developed bad habits so they are basically learning the correct way to kick from day dot.
I don’t really know either way, I am really just regurgitating what I hear.

Reply #251
The theory I’ve heard postulated regarding the Irish guys and even Cox is that they have never developed bad habits so they are basically learning the correct way to kick from day dot.
I don’t really know either way, I am really just regurgitating what I hear.

The benefit is as you said, learning to kick without bad habits.
The down side is learning how to do everything that is basically instinct for everyone else playing the game.

Reply #252
Minor point...and I don't want to crucify him because just because I didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.
But did anyone see Buddy shake Jones's hand after the game?
From the TV as the siren went they were in a contest that left Jones on his haunches and Buddy just walked away.
Jones had a funny look as he watched him go.
In the post match interview Buddy did give Jones some faint praise however King said to him as the interview concluded "I'll let you go and shake Liam Jones's hand"....which made me think it didn't happen....and was noticed.

I hope it's just a case of forgetting, rather than Buddy's bruised ego sooking it up because he got toweled up by someone he considers to be an inferior opponent. Maybe he thought he would simply show up and kick another bag ?

Reply #253
I hope it's just a case of forgetting, rather than Buddy's bruised ego sooking it up because he got toweled up by someone he considers to be an inferior opponent. Maybe he thought he would simply show up and kick another bag ?

Buddy sooked up IMO and chose to ignore him....or he tired himself out so much from whinging to the umps he didnt have the energy...

Reply #254
Buddy sooked up IMO and chose to ignore him........

I'd probably agree. Disappointing behaviour, especially towards a clean, mild mannered type like Jones. If Franklin had a skerrick of decency, he'd get in touch with Jones and apologise for behaving like a jerk.