Skip to main content
Topic: Round 1 - Blues v Tigers (21 March) Pre-Game (Read 32532 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 1 - Blues v Tigers (21 March)

Reply #120
I'm with you LP. Back in the season where Fremantle made the GF, it was on the back of manic pressure across the ground and restricting opponents to small scores and then scoring a bit more themselves to win. Everyone was complaining that it was Ross Lyon's tactics and it was making the game unwatchable....but talk to any Fremantle supporters and they weren't complaining ....they were winning games and made the GF. It was only in subsequent years where that style of play WASN'T winning them games and they didn't change their style that their fans got upset.

Lets focus on 2019....substantially different team this year and hopefully substantially better results.

Reply #121
It was only in subsequent years where that style of play WASN'T winning them games and they didn't change their style that their fans got upset.

That's the very same malaise MM suffered even before he arrived, it wasn't that he had a bad game plan, the problem was there was only one and everybody knew it!

FWIW, I don't have a problem with the demand for a high scoring game plan, a plan B or as many functional alternatives as possible, and I do agree the more you score the greater your chances. My point about 2017 vs 2018 is more about having kids get one thing right before moving onto the next! And from a fans perspective at least for the sake of saving some face make it look like it's our club's decision!

On top of losing, I'm so sick of us being meek, mild and bullied in the media! If we are going to lose, let's make some opposition people feel uncomfortable about it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #122
The last paragraph strikes a chord, I'm sick of our blokes being viewed as nice,  or heaven forbid, soft.   If we aren't good enough to win, so be it,  but the days of just rolling over an conceding are over. Make the other mob earn every contest.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #123
I'm with you LP. Back in the season where Fremantle made the GF, it was on the back of manic pressure across the ground and restricting opponents to small scores and then scoring a bit more themselves to win. Everyone was complaining that it was Ross Lyon's tactics and it was making the game unwatchable....but talk to any Fremantle supporters and they weren't complaining ....they were winning games and made the GF. It was only in subsequent years where that style of play WASN'T winning them games and they didn't change their style that their fans got upset.

Lets focus on 2019....substantially different team this year and hopefully substantially better results.

Surfie...Dockers did well in those years under Lyon and had their own defensive style, they also proto-typed the big 4 mids with Barlow, Mundy, Fyfe and Crowley...the latter was the nemesis of all the star mids like Ablett, Judd etc until the umpires started to let other teams have a free hit and  beat him up off the ball.
Lyon also failed to develop enough goal kicking power and his pressure strategy failed as the Dockers couldnt kick enough goals..... reckon they will be hard work at home to beat especially now they have Hogan and Lobb to help kick a winnings score but you have to wonder if Lyon will resort to his old negative self .

Reply #124
Lyon's rubbish game style has cost him a flag at 2 clubs. Some people never learn.

Reply #125
The game plan last year was rendered irrelevant.

'17 was a year built on Kreuzer, Murphy and Gibbs providing a solid midfield unit with Cripps who didn't have a great year.

Last year we traded out Gibbs and lost M & K to injury for practicality the whole season.

All of that was unlucky but if it hadn't happened we wouldn't have Walsh who I think is pretty much the perfect recruit at the perfect time for us. One real gun midfielder to add to Setterfield makes our future midfield look not just decent but dominant.

Reply #126
Like the positivity, but Setterfield has played 2 games, walsh has played none. For our midfield to be competitive we need the guys who have 30-50 games to step up - SPS, Fisher, Cuningham etc

Reply #127
Correct Jack. If we rely on Walsh, Setterfield to win us games without improvement from those you mentioned, then it will fall back onto the shoulders of blokes like Cripps to carry us again. But from what SPS, Fisher and Cunningham have all showed in the pre-season games, they certainly look to have improved significantly. Similarly, if Matthew Kennedy can get his body right he can further reduce the load for Cripps. I wouldn't have Kennedy in my best 22 at the moment so if he can show some form then it's another bonus.

Reply #129
Fair enough, sorry I misunderstood.
That team is very similar to mine, but I have Polson in for Fasolo

Reply #130
Don't see either Polson or Fasolo playing.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #131
Fair enough, sorry I misunderstood.
That team is very similar to mine, but I have Polson in for Fasolo

I think you're right, Polson will play.

Fasolo a better option, way better.

We need some experience up forward....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #132
Fasolo worries me in terms of defensive pressure, its why he couldnt get a game for the Filth. We are strugglers, we don't have room for heroes at this stage of our development

Reply #133
Fasolo worries me in terms of defensive pressure, its why he couldnt get a game for the Filth. We are strugglers, we don't have room for heroes at this stage of our development

Polson is a coaches favourite, Fasalo is new and has already stuffed up....dont see Fasalo getting rewarded with a game without some decent form.
Logic also says the Tigers are very strong in terms of small forwards and we are very weak in terms of having suitable opponents so thats another tick for Polson.
Would I play him....No....his pre season form has been ordinary and mirrored what we saw last season bar one game and his skill level/turn over factor a real negative but
having both the coaching group and playing group onside means Polson will get his fair share of opportunities starting with round 1 IMO.

Reply #134
Polson is a coaches favourite, Fasalo is new and has already stuffed up....dont see Fasalo getting rewarded with a game without some decent form.
Logic also says the Tigers are very strong in terms of small forwards and we are very weak in terms of having suitable opponents so thats another tick for Polson.
Would I play him....No....his pre season form has been ordinary and mirrored what we saw last season bar one game and his skill level/turn over factor a real negative but
having both the coaching group and playing group onside means Polson will get his fair share of opportunities starting with round 1 IMO.

Yep, that's the sum of it. Unfortunately!
Finals, then 4 in a row!