Skip to main content
Topic: Another Carlton list manager gone. - AFLW - Siekman quits (Read 1890 times) previous topic - next topic

Another Carlton list manager gone. - AFLW - Siekman quits

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/552668
Carlton’s AFLW/VFLW List Manager Wayne Siekman has tendered his resignation from his position at the Club.

Siekman has accepted a role with the West Adelaide Football Club in the SANFL after joining the Blues in May 2019.

Re: Another Carlton list manager gone. - AFLW - Siekman quits

Reply #1
Something is definately rotten in the state of Denmark.

Remember the last list management/recruiter we hired from Geelong who left shortly after starting?

We seem to have some issues with respect to this domain.  Its not a high profile area, so this amount of turnover might be normal, but we seem to have some very real off field dramas playing out particularly with respect to recruitment.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2
Something is definately rotten in the state of Denmark.

Yes it seems that way, I'm not sure that level of turnover in a small organisation is normal. Usually a list management / recruiting network is quite a stable feature of a club's profile.

I'd guess we might have some interference or micromanagement happening, although sometimes it can also be a sign of a bit of dastardly behavior, a rotten egg in high places. As long as all things that are happening are legitimate then the manager/s responsible for the disquiet will ultimately answer to their critics. But I worry based on our history that it seems as a club we are often quite slow to act, often not until after a lot of damage has been done.

I do hope our Board has it's hands on the wheel and hasn't left the Administration free running!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
The guy has moved from a very part time position to a full time position in the SAFL. It's a major promotion and if he has ambitions to promote further, it's a good move.

Nothing too sinister in it. 

Reply #4
I’m tempted to change the thread title to “Carlton AFLW list manager head hunted for role at West Adelaide”  ;)

I think that it’s a given that decent performers in AFLW roles will be snapped up for State league and AFL roles and anyone who knocks back such an offer would have rocks in their head.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
I'm disappointed that Siekman has gone, but he has got a promotion that will probably provide him with more money.
It is now up to our management to get someone who can fit the bill.
I would actually like to have a list manager for both the girls and the boys: guarantees a full time position and would provide some interesting challenges that might stimulate interest.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
I'm disappointed that Siekman has gone, but he has got a promotion that will probably provide him with more money.
I would actually like to have a list manager for both the girls and the boys: guarantees a full time position and would provide some interesting challenges that might stimulate interest.

IIRC We still have Katie Loynes who was a part time list manager or something along those lines.
Conflict of interest?
Don't like the captain, she trades you away?!

I think she'll transition into that role once she retires, which could be sooner rather than later as she is in her 30's already.

Reply #7
I prefer not to sweep this stuff under the carpet.  You only fix it by focussing on the issue.  We have an issue with our list management.  It is not a new issue, it is one that haunted the club for a generation, and seemed resolved only when SOS was appointed in that role.  Unfortunately, we now seem to have similar issues popping up again.  When the CEO and recruiter are not on the same page with respect to wooing targets, and acquiring players, then we have a definite issue.

Its bad enough when the senior coach and list manager are at loggerheads.  At least the senior coach has more scope to recruit someone that is good for his team.

Expose the ugly wound.  Treat it with whatever needs to be done to fix the issue, and then you can move forward with a resolved issue.

Stick your head in the sand, and you end up with the Carlton list circa 2014.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #8

Great suggestion Crash! 

I would have a position in what used to be SOS’s team with primary responsibility for the AFLW list but would encourage all list management personnel to have an interest in both lists.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball