Skip to main content
Topic: Melbourne CBD Incident (Read 23486 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Melbourne CBD Incident

Reply #15
Are we not running out of space to put criminals? Hence why more get released than should.

And it costs a lot of money to keep someone in gaol!

Our justice system is based on the principle of innocent until proven guilty and courts have to be satisfied that there is a good reason to incarcerate someone before their guilt is proven.  I understand that the bloke responsible for the carnage has domestic violence charges pending and, while I would have locked him up and thrown away the key, magistrates have to be more even-handed.

The police couldn't have known what was going to happen earlier in the day when they were trying to apprehend the bloke or even when he was doing donuts outside Flinders Street Station.  However, I remember an incident where two police officers shot a barking Bull Terrier in the back of a ute parked in the CBD several years ago.  There was an outcry, and quite rightly too.  Apart from the lunatic fringe, I suspect that there would have been no outcry if the police had been able to "neutralise" the driver once the threat he posed was realised.  A difficult decision to take and one that I'm glad I have never had to make.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
I'm not sure how the system operates in Victoria.
My experience is With Juvenile Justice in NSW.
One of our big problems in recent years has been that there have been limited facilities for those with mental health issues,
As a result many of these have been funneled into the Justice system.

This guy is pretty obviously mentally disturbed...he shouldn't have been on the streets.
Was the fact that he was due to a lack of alternative facilities.

We can rail against him (rightly so...he's a murderer) but he's likely to play the mental health issue and there is a fair chance he'll do that successfully.

What that means in terms of his (long period) of incarceration (where and how long) is unknown

Reply #17
A very sad day for the country.
I haven't gone in search of details of this incident just yet. In fact part of me doesn't want to acknowledge how extremely vulnerable we citizens are. Not only from terrorists but from our countrymen, as insane as that sounds.
If this heartless act was fuelled by drugs (and I don't know), I imagine the law will be applied accordingly.
It's tragic for affected families and for us all.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #18
And it costs a lot of money to keep someone in gaol!

Our justice system is based on the principle of innocent until proven guilty and courts have to be satisfied that there is a good reason to incarcerate someone before their guilt is proven.  I understand that the bloke responsible for the carnage has domestic violence charges pending and, while I would have locked him up and thrown away the key, magistrates have to be more even-handed.

The police couldn't have known what was going to happen earlier in the day when they were trying to apprehend the bloke or even when he was doing donuts outside Flinders Street Station.  However, I remember an incident where two police officers shot a barking Bull Terrier in the back of a ute parked in the CBD several years ago.  There was an outcry, and quite rightly too.  Apart from the lunatic fringe, I suspect that there would have been no outcry if the police had been able to "neutralise" the driver once the threat he posed was realised.  A difficult decision to take and one that I'm glad I have never had to make.
He's is a violent thug and ice addict who police knew would do harm to himself and others but a magistrate granted bail despite their protests. Congratulations judge, hope you are sleeping easy tonight. I hope some good can come of the terrible situation in the form of tougher bail laws. Build more jails/facilities, spend less on sporting events.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #19
My office is in the CBD blocks away from the scene, suffice to say it was utter pandemonium. Coppers could have done us all a favour and put one between the scum bags eyes.

Exactly !!  - he should have been stopped before this crap happened ...

From Derryn Hinch on Twitter......
I’m told pursuing police had 7 chances to  ram the Bourke Street killer and were denied permission.

The Cops could've stopped him but weren't allowed ?     they were watching him doing circles out front of Flinders st station.. ?

Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #20

Exactly !!  - he should have been stopped before this crap happened ...

From Derryn Hinch on Twitter......
I’m told pursuing police had 7 chances to  ram the Bourke Street killer and were denied permission.

The Cops could've stopped him but weren't allowed ?     they were watching him doing circles out front of Flinders st station.. ?

Remember the police don't have the power of hindsight when they make a decision on what action to take in a particular situation.

Attempting to stop a crazed ice addict is never going to be easy - I trust the police to make the correct call.  I am certain they had their reasons why not to try and take him down when doing the burnouts.

Note- Mr Hinch- instead of being critical on the police force actions why don't you stop talking and try and bloody change the bail laws to stop these nut cases......or you could just keep talking it up like every other politician does in this country and do stuff all.

Reply #21
Remember the police don't have the power of hindsight when they make a decision on what action to take in a particular situation.

Attempting to stop a crazed ice addict is never going to be easy - I trust the police to make the correct call.  I am certain they had their reasons why not to try and take him down when doing the burnouts.

Note- Mr hinch aren't you in politics now? Well instead of be critical on the police force why don't you stop talking and try and bloody change the bail laws to stop these nut cases or you could just keep talking like every other politician does in this country.

Yes in hindsight we are all experts I know I know.... It's just fkn heartbreaking for this to happen when it could have been prevented.

Cops in America would have had him locked up ( or dead )  well before it happened... I'm not blaming our cops ( following orders ) but they don't put up with any of that crap over there...

If Hinch had the power to change laws... he would ;)
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #22

Yes in hindsight we are all experts I know I know.... It's just fkn heartbreaking for this to happen when it could have been prevented.

Cops in America would have had him locked up ( or dead )  well before it happened... I'm not blaming our cops ( following orders ) but they don't put up with any of that crap over there...

If Hinch had the power to change laws... he would ;)
Bail laws MUST change. Thats now the 5th scum bag in recent history who should not have been on the street have committed attrocities towards innocent people going about their business (from the HS:
- Sean Price was on bail when he fatally stabbed 17-year-old schoolgirl Masa Vukotic 49 times and raped another woman.
-Adrian Bailey was on parole when he raped and murdered Jill Meagher.
-Steven James Hunter fatally stabbed and bashed Sarah Cafferkey, 22, in Bacchus Marsh — 11 days after completing parole for other violent crimes.
- David Patrick Clifford was on parole for drug trafficking when he violently bashed, stabbed and fatally strangled Elsa Corp, 26.
- Burke St Scumbag (I added this bit)
Things simply must change.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #23
I think we are looking in the wrong place to stop these sorts of incidents.

The people who are the root cause of these incidents are the issue.  Stop people being douche bags, and people dont need to be injured/killed unnecessarily.

We can blame people for not stopping the action, but to me I think its better to stop the unhinged before they become a problem, be that through better systems, or a better way of life.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #24
I think we are looking in the wrong place to stop these sorts of incidents.

The people who are the root cause of these incidents are the issue.  Stop people being douche bags, and people dont need to be injured/killed unnecessarily.

We can blame people for not stopping the action, but to me I think its better to stop the unhinged before they become a problem, be that through better systems, or a better way of life.

I suspect you're on the right track Thry.  More needs to be done to prevent people becoming a threat to themselves, their families and the general public.

I don't know what the answer is but I suspect that it's not expecting troubled or broken people to look after themselves.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #25
I suspect you're on the right track Thry.  More needs to be done to prevent people becoming a threat to themselves, their families and the general public.

I don't know what the answer is but I suspect that it's not expecting troubled or broken people to look after themselves.
DJC couple of things:
1. It probably needs to start in primary school where rules need to be enforced harder and kids be punished when they are broken without interference from meddling parent. Kids need to be taught respect again and instructions from grown ups (teachers, parents, police etc) need to be followed. Also, no means no and kids don't have to be given everything they want.
2. More onus and responsibility needs to be put back onto the parents. These kids running rampant doing whatever they want, when they get busted  breaking the law, impose some sort of a sanction on their parents/guardians as well. It might make them take a little more interest in their kids lives during the formative years.
My missus is a primary school teacher and is extremely disillusioned with systems and methods used these days. Kids just have no respect and when you try to instil some, parents and Principles arc up.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #26
My kids' primary school was closed by the Kennett govt.  Gary Bryce, aka the Barrel, was the principal and you couldn't wish for a nicer, more effective leader.  There were just over 200 kids in the school and they came from over 80 different countries.  It was the most harmonious school and school community.  My daughter did get into strife for kicking a boy in the gnurries - but he deserved it!

The blokes in charge decided that the real estate value of the land on which the school was located was more valuable than the future good citizens they were moulding.

There does have to be more responsibility shown by parents but the system should be able to support those that aren't up to the task.

Reply #27
DJC couple of things:
1. It probably needs to start in primary school where rules need to be enforced harder and kids be punished when they are broken without interference from meddling parent. Kids need to be taught respect again and instructions from grown ups (teachers, parents, police etc) need to be followed. Also, no means no and kids don't have to be given everything they want.
2. More onus and responsibility needs to be put back onto the parents. These kids running rampant doing whatever they want, when they get busted  breaking the law, impose some sort of a sanction on their parents/guardians as well. It might make them take a little more interest in their kids lives during the formative years.
My missus is a primary school teacher and is extremely disillusioned with systems and methods used these days. Kids just have no respect and when you try to instil some, parents and Principles arc up.

I'm 48 and times have changed blah blah but.....

When I was 7 or 8 around grade 3 or 4... I was hauled up to the principles office for doing the wrong thing (  long time ago I don't know what I did wrong ) along with 3 other boys...  all 4 of us were in with principle... 2 got strapped and screamed and balled there eyes out and me and the other were told it was a warning and if we stuffed up again we would get the same treatment........   I crapped myself and never got in trouble at
school again !!

When I was about 13 I was rude to my mum once too often and my old man gave it to me - not real bad but bad enough............. I crapped myself and was never rude to my mum again !!

When I was 19 or 20 I was in a brawl out the front of my local pub....... A copper grabbed me from behind in a full nelson choking me,  I nearly passed out he then slammed my head into the side of a divvy and threw me in the back............. I crapped myself and have never been in trouble with the police or a fight again!!

The moral of the story... respect your teachers, parents and the police.   I learnt from my lessons.....

Kids these days aren't being taught the right lessons.

Reply #28

I'm 48 and times have changed blah blah but.....

When I was 7 or 8 around grade 3 or 4... I was hauled up to the principles office for doing the wrong thing (  long time ago I don't know what I did wrong ) along with 3 other boys...  all 4 of us were in with principle... 2 got strapped and screamed and balled there eyes out and me and the other were told it was a warning and if we stuffed up again we would get the same treatment........   I crapped myself and never got in trouble at
school again !!

When I was about 13 I was rude to my mum once too often and my old man gave it to me - not real bad but bad enough............. I crapped myself and was never rude to my mum again !!

When I was 19 or 20 I was in a brawl out the front of my local pub....... A copper grabbed me from behind in a full nelson choking me,  I nearly passed out he then slammed my head into the side of a divvy and threw me in the back............. I crapped myself and have never been in trouble with the police or a fight again!!

The moral of the story... respect your teachers, parents and the police.   I learnt from my lessons.....

Kids these days aren't being taught the right lessons.
Bingo
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #29
Bring back the death penalty, Dupas, Knight, Bryant etc etc...this maniac from a couple of days ago.., sex offenders, drug dealers all gone...or give the Police more licence to open fire on these nutters instead of having to face an inquisition every time they discharge their weapons.