Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Pondering: AFL 2020 Rd 9: Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 11815 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Pondering: AFL 2020 Rd 9: Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #120
They also saw the return of 4 of their top 22 last night.
Yep their ins were good....Bruest loves playing us, Ceglar partnered with McEvoy gave them dominance in the ruck and Impey was annoying at times as he does provide pace they dont have.
Retaining Moore left us one short and Pittonet on his lonesome, with Casboult having to shoulder the forward work...

Reply #121
Yep their ins were good....Bruest loves playing us, Ceglar partnered with McEvoy gave them dominance in the ruck and Impey was annoying at times as he does provide pace they dont have.
Retaining Moore left us one short and Pittonet on his lonesome, with Casboult having to shoulder the forward work...

Combined with a fired up disproportionately powerful coach and.. bazinga

Put a rookie coach on the receiving end and it's a perfect storm. That's no disrespect to DT btw, just a fact.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #122
No excuses, Hawks had lost 4 in a row and were smashed by Melbourne last week. We are better than them man for man all over the ground and they pumped us.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #123
Another knee jerk post.  Fancy assuming I'm happy with mediocrity. Stupid thing to say.  No I don't accept mediocrity, but I accept when a side up and coming that mediocrity will sometimes happen. Funny about that. You just keep working on it. Difference is I think with my head, not my frustrations.

The side has improved out of sight from 12 months ago and you know it. That's our 2nd thrashing in 20 games. Had losses we shouldn't have frustratingly had but that's part of it right now. If we didn't have then we would literally have been sitting on top of the ladder before last night, but we're not because at our stage of development were are still inconsistent, often during the same game. That's the reason why we are 10-10 under Teague, not 13-7 or 14-6. That's the one step stopping us from becoming a top side and will take time. But, hey, because we copped a shocker last night we are suddenly no good. Games like last night show us what we need to take the next step.

You expect it to happen overnight and get the craps when it doesn't happen. I know it takes time. As I said, can't cope with the ups and downs of the journey you're following the wrong sport.

You believe the present performances are okay or to be expected, I don't. I don't accept many performances this year as simply part of the process, you do. I get it. Terms like 'knee jerk' and 'stupid thing to say' don't strengthen your argument, invalidate the others argument or suddenly make your perspective better or right. 

At the risk of being repetitive and for the sake of clarity, I clearly understand that I'm not going to change your perspective and let me assure you, no matter how hard you try, you're sure as hell not going to change mine. And I'm 100% okay with that.

The only thing that will change my perspective at present is on-field performance... not words, not lovely pictures, not terrific interviews, not manipulated statistics, not your words... just performing a whole lot better, and consistently. Remember, we started this year with a stated goal and expectation of winning. My comments are against that backdrop.

I repeat, let's agree to disagree.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #124
No excuses, Hawks had lost 4 in a row and were smashed by Melbourne last week. We are better than them man for man all over the ground and they pumped us.
Big call, huge call.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #125
Can I add one other thing, in his presser, Teague stated something along the lines of "people are calling for a good start, I dont know if thats the best for us". I found that bizarre.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #126
Can I add one other thing, in his presser, Teague stated something along the lines of "people are calling for a good start, I dont know if thats the best for us". I found that bizarre.

Yep, I agree. Almost sounded like he thinks catch up footy works best for the team.

Reply #127

I also found that comment perplexing. Maybe he was trying to be funny... either way, it was not a good look and sounded like he'd cracked it. Maybe that's what he needs to do, crack the sh1tes and unleash his 'inner tyrant' ...or as my sister would say before she's about to pay out on someone... 'right, no more Mr Nice Guy!'

Reply #128
I'm wondering whether we've prepared for this season with the view that we'll run over other sides with superior fitness.
As such we may have trained with a bit less emphasis on size and strength and more on general endurance...a gradual wearing away rather than a frantic start.

We prepared to play the long game but with reduced quarters that became less of a factor.

Reply #129
I'm wondering whether we've prepared for this season with the view that we'll run over other sides with superior fitness.
As such we may have trained with a bit less emphasis on size and strength and more on general endurance...a gradual wearing away rather than a frantic start.

We prepared to play the long game but with reduced quarters that became less of a factor.

I actually wondered the same thing, Principal LODS, but the TT said a few weeks back that after the Tiggers game we trained for shortened games and shortened breaks between games - that we were ready, fitness and endurance wise, for the present fixture.

Reply #130
Didn't we get the first 8 or so free kicks?
What is the relevance, Clarkson's bleating was about a very specific set of circumstances. Anyway I qualified my comments to after 1/2-time.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #131
What is the relevance, Clarkson's bleating was about a very specific set of circumstances. Anyway I qualified my comments to after 1/2-time.

If the umps were favouring Clarko they wouldn't have paid the first 8 frees to us would they? We have been shafted a few games this year but yesterday was not one of them.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #132
If the umps were favouring Clarko they wouldn't have paid the first 8 frees to us would they? We have been shafted a few games this year but yesterday was not one of them.
Clarkson specifically bleated about holding the ball decisions inside the stoppages, and as a side line threw some rocks at Papley about milking frees, that was clearly adjudicated differently last night than it has been for weeks. Excluding the last few minutes when they went back the other way.

I actually defended Clarkson earlier in the week because the media verballed him over Papley.

Why would you come on here defending Clarkson bagging umpires anyway, do you like Clarkson, Dimma, Scott, et.al always bleating about the umpires?

I was actually glad to hear Teague say when asked about eh umpires that "He doesn't get too far into that!" Leave it to the official channels.

btw., I don't think the emphasis just change in our game, it appears to have changed in implementation across the board.  Really, it's moved back to what it was more like in seasons past, and benefited coaches who stubbornly refuse to change their plan, and disadvantaged coaches who setup for the new 2nd Rnd interpretation.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #133
Simple they were due for a win we were due for a loss, they bought in fresh players we flogged the same guys week after week. Finals fantasy over time to play fisher cottrell honey tdk etc with fresh legs and see what they can do. I also hate the crap Russell says about not being ready to play until a player does a “conditioning block”
If you can get the ball and kick it your conditioned enough

Reply #134
Simple they were due for a win we were due for a loss, they bought in fresh players we flogged the same guys week after week. Finals fantasy over time to play fisher cottrell honey tdk etc with fresh legs and see what they can do. I also hate the crap Russell says about not being ready to play until a player does a “conditioning block”
If you can get the ball and kick it your conditioned enough
Fresh legs, good point. Might need to rest a few and blood a few, might work.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th