Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Pondering: AFL 2020 Rd 9: Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 11806 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Pondering: AFL 2020 Rd 9: Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #135
I actually think reality is biting.

Our best players Generally  when we win are the old guard. The new guard that has come up is.... cripps, Walsh.... and weitering. 

Who else do you ever feel 100% confident with,

How depressing.

Reply #136
I actually think reality is biting.

Our best players Generally  when we win are the old guard. The new guard that has come up is.... cripps, Walsh.... and weitering. 

Who else do you ever feel 100% confident with,

How depressing.

One of the concerning factors there is that Cripps is probably not in that new guard. He's 25 now and the manner in which he plays means that he may not play long into his 30s. So the window of success with Cripps is a narrowing one.
Weitering was a standout number one no-brainer and is starting to fulfil that potential.
While there may be some argument over whether Walsh was the best choice I'm more than happy with that selection.

But 100% confident with others...nope.
Not until we start to get some consistency of performance.

In 2017 we had five rising star  nominations in a season. Marchbank, SPS, Cunningham, Silvagni, Curnow.
Fast forward 3 years(and yes injury has played a fair part) but all these guys should now be hitting their peaks instead they struggle with injury or inconsistency.

Dow, Fisher, O'Brien are also players who should now be regular top 22.
Instead we have something of an old guard propping us up.
Something needs to click soon.

Reply #137
Saturday night salt on Friday’s wound - Josh Kennedy sinks the Cats. The Judd deal officially became the “Dud” deal at 5:04pm on 29th September, 2018.

Back on point - what a fascinating team we are! Are there any psychologists/psychiatrists on this forum? When Hawthorn kicked those last 2 goals of the 1st quarter how many of us could see the fear in our boys eyes? That’s where it starts. I swear it’s almost like the players have a focus control knob, similar to binoculars. It slides a little and suddenly the ball isn’t bouncing where it should, the distance between you and your teammate is ‘off’, a bogey man lurks in the shadows.
Brisbane and Saints had no trouble scooting to a lead and then going on with it.
wtf is wrong with us?
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #138

Agree.  Wayne Carey says 85% of football is played between the ears.

We know the list is fit and all the skills were on display for the first quarter and a half.

What happened in the halftime break?

Before worrying about bringing in new talent we need to clean up this mental fragility that persists year after year.

Perhaps we should be recruiting sports psychologists as a matter of urgency.

Reply #139
Saturday night salt on Friday’s wound - Josh Kennedy sinks the Cats. The Judd deal officially became the “Dud” deal at 5:04pm on 29th September, 2018.

Back on point - what a fascinating team we are! Are there any psychologists/psychiatrists on this forum? When Hawthorn kicked those last 2 goals of the 1st quarter how many of us could see the fear in our boys eyes? That’s where it starts. I swear it’s almost like the players have a focus control knob, similar to binoculars. It slides a little and suddenly the ball isn’t bouncing where it should, the distance between you and your teammate is ‘off’, a bogey man lurks in the shadows.
Brisbane and Saints had no trouble scooting to a lead and then going on with it.
wtf is wrong with us?
I would have thought after the 3rd goal in the second, you do something to stop the run/rot. Whether it be structural, something illegal, anything. We got off to a good start in the 2nd by kicking the first. They then kicked 9 of the next 10. How does that happen?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #140
Could it be as simple as too many contests too many weeks in a row?

Thinking laterally, we've been "up against it" in pretty much every game.

Hopefully this is the match to forget and we'll recover from here.  Add some sore bodies and an opposition with a point to prove and its a recipe for fridays match.

Lets see if it changes.  Its the first real black mark on teagues coaching journey since the final round last year.

Lets not forget the whole covid situation is one where mental strength is required and our lads haven't been renowned for it. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #141
Not sure we would have many sore bodies, we didn't exactly attack the ball well, or chase and tackle with much zest.
It was bruise free stuff with little intent after quarter time, we should be fresh as daisies..

Reply #142

Back on point - what a fascinating team we are! Are there any psychologists/psychiatrists on this forum?
Yes. Late home from work, so didn't see the game. I made the decision not to watch the game - for my own MH 😉
The mind and body are intertwined with such complexity and there's a multitude of variables at play. Including group and individual factors, and static and dynamic variables. All which may manifest as a strength or limitation.
No doubt an experienced Sports Psy is a good addition to any elite sporting team.

When Hawthorn kicked those last 2 goals of the 1st quarter how many of us could see the fear in our boys eyes? That’s where it starts. I swear it’s almost like the players have a focus control knob, similar to binoculars. It slides a little and suddenly the ball isn’t bouncing where it should, the distance between you and your teammate is ‘off’, a bogey man lurks in the shadows.
wtf is wrong with us?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #143
I also hate the crap Russell says about not being ready to play until a player does a “conditioning block”  If you can get the ball and kick it your conditioned enough

Far from sold on him ... for now

Reply #144
One of the things that Teague does as a coach is one of the bad habits Ratts had when he was our coach: he is not willing to make position changes very quickly.
It is one thing to have a plan A and to trust it, to put faith in the players who have the jobs. But it is another not to make a change to alter the flow of the game.
When we have a few guys down, one of the best things for them to have a positional change. Barassi and Parkin were good enough at that: they were not dissing the guys who were moved and the players knew it. We haven't had a coach to really do that this century.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #145
One of the things that Teague does as a coach is one of the bad habits Ratts had when he was our coach: he is not willing to make position changes very quickly.
It is one thing to have a plan A and to trust it, to put faith in the players who have the jobs. But it is another not to make a change to alter the flow of the game.
When we have a few guys down, one of the best things for them to have a positional change. Barassi and Parkin were good enough at that: they were not dissing the guys who were moved and the players knew it. We haven't had a coach to really do that this century.

Good point Crash. A few others commented as much. We've heard DT say he prefers backing the players in. Whilst that's good for certain aspects, it has limitations. An experienced coach imo educates the players about when, why, and how variation to that ethos occur. The leaders on field are then responsible to execute change. Not sure we've got either coach or leadership practices to pull that off at this stage.
Hopefully it's identified in the "learnings" taken from the game. It will take time to amend and master. We know time is one of the game's most precocious commodities, so the heat remains.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #146
Simple they were due for a win we were due for a loss, they bought in fresh players we flogged the same guys week after week. Finals fantasy over time to play fisher cottrell honey tdk etc with fresh legs and see what they can do. I also hate the crap Russell says about not being ready to play until a player does a “conditioning block”
If you can get the ball and kick it your conditioned enough
Those days are over Tommy, the demands of the modern game now are totally different. Just being able to get a kick or finding the footy doesnt cut it, players who arent conditioned WILL breakdown and suffer soft tissue injuries.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #147
Those days are over Tommy, the demands of the modern game now are totally different. Just being able to get a kick or finding the footy doesnt cut it, players who arent conditioned WILL breakdown and suffer soft tissue injuries.

Yes, with games so close together and the intensity so high the body has to be really good to go to absorb the pressure.

Apologies for getting grumpy last night.

Reply #148
Yes, with games so close together and the intensity so high the body has to be really good to go to absorb the pressure.

Apologies for getting grumpy last night.
All good mate, at the end of the day, we all want the same thing, we all react differently but I think I can speak for most people on here and say that our hearts are in the right place,
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #149
Not sure we would have many sore bodies, we didn't exactly attack the ball well, or chase and tackle with much zest.
It was bruise free stuff with little intent after quarter time, we should be fresh as daisies..

Nah i was talking about the weekly physical and mental toll.  North worked us over last weekend and we looked a bit flat.  The port game before that was a bit gruelling.  Add a cross country journey and you end up with us flying for a quarter and then crashing and burning. 

My only real issue was the deer in headlights stuff we saw. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson