Skip to main content
Topic: RD 1 - Blues Lose To Tigers (Aftermatch Angst & Teeth Gnashing) (Read 116317 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 1 - Blues Lose To Tigers (Aftermatch Angst & Teeth Gnashing)

Reply #300
3. Jaksch is a wasted pick/trade already
No, he isn't.
He gave away a few free kicks, sure. Some of which he was very unlucky to get pinged for. One incident that stood out to me was when he grabbed/touched an arm as a player was getting ready to go up for a mark. It meant he couldn't get his arm up to mark it. Job done. Yes, it is a little bit illegal as these tiger ferals behind me pointed out. However, the exact same spot a quarter later when the tiger player did the same to Bell, and it wasn't called, those same tiger ferals informed everyone of how smart it was to give the arm a slight touch to throw off his timing.
Identical situations that worked against us, and Jaksch was on the wrong end of it.

On top of that, i'm not sure if it was shown on TV, but Jaksch copped a heavy hit to the ribs about halfway through and went off under duress. He came back on and dropped a mark he should've taken. Instead of chastising him for this, we should realise that he probably shouldn't have been out there and should commend him for showing ticker and putting his body on the line soon after.

Mick himself said he needs more size to really match up with the bigger blokes, but that will come.

Seems everyone either chose to ignore this or overlooked it.

From Carltons twitter account...
After reporting discomfort to club staff, scans have confirmed @KristianJaksch has two broken ribs. He'll miss two matches. #NAVYBLUES

I think many people on here owe him an apology.

Reply #301
Easy on Ellard - he has had an injury plagued career as any.

Knows where the goals are does Davey and he's got serious ticker.

He will surprise many if he gets a decent crack in the 1s......
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #302

I think that it is the coach who owes him an apology.

Malthouse, in his press conference, acknowledged that Jaksch is too light to play as a key defender but he was matched up against Griffiths. 

Jaksch is the one addition to our list who has shown a bit during the NAB Challenge and his performance on Thursday was pretty good - without considering his broken ribs. 

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #303

No one would disagree with you... put his heart in any bigger bloke and you've got a champ. Davey should sue his parents for putting him in a small, ill equipped for AFL body.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #304

He obviously does all the right things off the track and has had a bit of bad luck along the journey otherwise he wouldn't still be there. And you're right he is deadly around goals but he needs to break in and have a good crack this year.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #305

I criticised him for the particular piece of play where he dropped the mark and the follow up and pointed out that his second efforts had to be better than that.
I don't feel the need to apologise for that because it was obvious it wasn't up to scratch.

The fact that he was injured puts a completely different perspective on it.... but the judgement was made on the basis of what you'd expect of a fit footballer.

You can only make calls on what you know.
Every poor piece of play on the field could be the result of being inconvenienced by an injury.
You don't apologise for that...you just accept the reason once it becomes clear.

Reply #306
I think that it is the coach who owes him an apology.

Malthouse, in his press conference, acknowledged that Jaksch is too light to play as a key defender but he was matched up against Griffiths. 

Jaksch is the one addition to our list who has shown a bit during the NAB Challenge and his performance on Thursday was pretty good - without considering his broken ribs.

He didn't break his ribs against Griffiths, what Malthouse said is true.
Why does he need to apologise?

Reply #307

Malthouse in his press conference said that he knew that Jaksch was far too light (10kgs from memory) for a key position role.  Despite that, Jaksch was played as a key defender during the NAB challenge and started off as a key defender on Thursday.  Clearly, Malthouse played Jaksch out of position and an apology from Malthouse for that is far more appropriate than apologies from a few CSC posters who may have been critical of Jaksch's performance.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #308

When did he break them and why was he playing?
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #309
Curnow was rookied Thry, and we are probably the most successful club at getting value from our rookies.  It's a bit of a puzzle why we can't get the same success from our draft picks, or trades for that matter.

Because we can't handle big personalities......we like bland people. Hence we give away players with character for not too much.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #310

There was a collision about halfway through the second or third quarter where it happened.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #311

There was a one on one collision about halfway through the game. Can't remember exactly how it happened, but it involvd players coming from opposite directions. May have been a shepherd.

Why was he playing? We had no sub as Daisy was gone in the first minute. He could've sat on the bench for the rest of the game and left us a player down, or he could tough it out.

Reply #312
There was a one on one collision about halfway through the game. Can't remember exactly how it happened, but it involvd players coming from opposite directions. May have been a shepherd.

Why was he playing? We had no sub as Daisy was gone in the first minute. He could've sat on the bench for the rest of the game and left us a player down, or he could tough it out.

I think you are distracting from the fact that people want a whipping boy.

Reply #313
Malthouse in his press conference said that he knew that Jaksch was far too light (10kgs from memory) for a key position role.  Despite that, Jaksch was played as a key defender during the NAB challenge and started off as a key defender on Thursday.  Clearly, Malthouse played Jaksch out of position and an apology from Malthouse for that is far more appropriate than apologies from a few CSC posters who may have been critical of Jaksch's performance.

I've heard the press conference and know what you are talking about.

What i am saying is that being played out of position in no way contributed to the injury he received.

Yes, he is too light on for a key role. He was given the chance to step up and see how he went. I don't think you'll hear Jaksch complaining about the opportunity despite the fact he is too light for the role.

Mick is known for giving kids a chance. The reason its called giving kids a chance is because they are KIDS and thus not physically ready enough to play that role. Otherwise its not called giving kids a go, its called picking players.

There are so many anti-Mick comments going around here, how we arrive at them has me shaking my head.

Reply #314
I've heard the press conference and know what you are talking about.

What i am saying is that being played out of position in no way contributed to the injury he received.

Yes, he is too light on for a key role. He was given the chance to step up and see how he went. I don't think you'll hear Jaksch complaining about the opportunity despite the fact he is too light for the role.

Mick is known for giving kids a chance. The reason its called giving kids a chance is because they are KIDS and thus not physically ready enough to play that role. Otherwise its not called giving kids a go, its called picking players.

There are so many anti-Mick comments going around here, how we arrive at them has me shaking my head.

Wouldn't it have been better to play Jaksch as third tall, particularly when he has shown that he is not yet up to taking on a key forward?  He did quite well in the third tall role, particularly with busted ribs.

I think there is a big difference between 'giving a kid a chance' and playing a kid out of position.

Questioning the coach's decisions, particularly after a loss, is part of being a football supporter.  For some, blindly accepting everything the coach does is also part of being a football supporter.