Skip to main content
Topic: RD 1 - Blues Lose To Tigers (Aftermatch Angst & Teeth Gnashing) (Read 116332 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 1 - Blues Lose To Tigers (Aftermatch Angst & Teeth Gnashing)

Reply #315
They underated Griffiths and thought he was a banana that Jaksch could run off....Griffths played out of the square and Reiwoltd played up the ground more....if you have seen how Jaksch plays he prefers being up the ground across half back where he can use his athletic abilities and rebound the ball....
It wasnt great coaching......Rowe should have played on Griffiths....bigger, stronger and was coming off a great 2014 playing a similar role...it was a no brainer.

Reply #316
They underated Griffiths and thought he was a banana that Jaksch could run off....Griffths played out of the square and Reiwoltd played up the ground more....if you have seen how Jaksch plays he prefers being up the ground across half back where he can use his athletic abilities and rebound the ball....
It wasnt great coaching......Rowe should have played on Griffiths....bigger, stronger and was coming off a great 2014 playing a similar role...it was a no brainer.

How does that happen EB?

Parko, in his pre-match discussion, said that he rated Griffiths higher than Vickery and Riewoldt.  Surely our opposition analysis can't be that far off the mark.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #317
How does that happen EB?

Parko, in his pre-match discussion, said that he rated Griffiths higher than Vickery and Riewoldt.  Surely our opposition analysis can't be that far off the mark.

Most of what we have done over the past decade had been off the mark DJ :(...nothing surprises me anymore....
I guess Griffiths has promised plenty but never delivered until now.....

Reply #318
Wouldn't it have been better to play Jaksch as third tall, particularly when he has shown that he is not yet up to taking on a key forward?  He did quite well in the third tall role, particularly with busted ribs.

I think there is a big difference between 'giving a kid a chance' and playing a kid out of position.

Questioning the coach's decisions, particularly after a loss, is part of being a football supporter.  For some, blindly accepting everything the coach does is also part of being a football supporter.

I've said that we stuffed up by having Rowe play as 2nd ruck coming out of defense which forced the Jaksch issue.

As has been mentioned he was played as a 3rd tall of sorts who was designated to run off his opponent. Essentially playing him on a spud and boosting his confidence. Apparantly the spud learned how to play which didn't help the situation.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree by saying Malthouse screwed up by playing Jaksch. He may have went in with a plan that didn't end up working, but you an say that for probably 18 teams on a weekly basis.

The kid showed more in that game then most of our list have shown in years.

Reply #319
I think you are barking up the wrong tree by saying Malthouse screwed up by playing Jaksch. He may have went in with a plan that didn't end up working, but you an say that for probably 18 teams on a weekly basis.

The kid showed more in that game then most of our list have shown in years.

I'm not saying that at all Kruddler.  Jaksch is the one addition to our list who has a bright future and he is in my best 22. 

What I am saying is that Jaksch should have been played off halfback where his athleticism and run would have provided an advantage.  Then there's the misuse of Rowe, failure to provide back up for Wood, failure to counter Richmond's two loose men behind the ball, etc, etc.

We went in with a plan that didn't work, mismatches that disadvantaged us, an unbalanced side and an underdone sub.  Worse still, the coach's response to being caught out was to shout at a young bloke and move players at random.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #320
Not to mention we bombed inside 50m all night with Casboult sitting in the stands. The old guy is losing it. Needs a big one this week, a ten goal thrashing will see the wolves out nice and early.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #321
Not to mention we bombed inside 50m all night with Casboult sitting in the stands. The old guy is losing it. Needs a big one this week, a ten goal thrashing will see the wolves out nice and early.

Against West Coast who are 2 defenders down with injury, we have to play Levi. Henderson might need to play in the back 50m now that Jaksch is out. If Mick doesn't play Levi, I will have doubts about where we are heading this season. At least to give Wood some time up forward and relief in the ruck. Rowe is not ruck material IMO. The Eagles are 2 defenders down, so surely Jones and Everitt can find a way to clunk the pill. Here we go again. DANGER game again.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #322

We can win.

Won't be 10 but might be 2.

Don't care just don't want another 0-3, 0-4 start to the year.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #323
Jaksch played out the game and kicked a really great goal after suffering broken ribs. Plenty to like about that.

Docherty's best game for the club. I can really see a future for him.

Yarran, Simmo, Murph, Gibbs really really poor. Regularly combined to hand the momentum to Tigs and then went missing.

Murphy looks short of a run. Putrid.

Menzel was good. Hendo and Jones had forgettable nights (though Jones could have kicked 4 goals) but when the team can't clear the halfway line for 3 quarters the forwards look terrible.

Reply #324
Jaksch played out the game and kicked a really great goal after suffering broken ribs. Plenty to like about that.

Yarran, Simmo, Murph, Gibbs really really poor. Regularly combined to hand the momentum to Tigs and then went missing.

Menzel was good. Hendo and Jones had forgettable nights (though Jones could have kicked 4 goals) but when the team can't clear the halfway line for 3 quarters the forwards look terrible.

And we should be worried about debutantes performances?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #325

We bombed the footy due to the Tigers playing the extra man back when we had control of the game at different times, the counter for that is to play your troops further up the ground, drag the tiger defenders out and clear  some space for Jones, Henderson etc to run into ...didnt happen.
We picked out Rance, Batchelor etc and they kicked it to Houli who was killing is off half back cheating for easy kicks due to Smith's  inexperience...we never woke up to that either....

Mick, Wiley and the coaches were putrid IMO in their reading of the play and matchups......Jaksch, Smith etc were left exposed, thats not development either....

Reply #326

Nice summary.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #327
We can win.

Won't be 10 but might be 2.

Don't care just don't want another 0-3, 0-4 start to the year.

Yup, a win and everything changes, a loss and the year is gone. TBH I'm more scared of playing up and coming sides like Melbourne and the doggies.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #328
I'm not saying that at all Kruddler.  Jaksch is the one addition to our list who has a bright future and he is in my best 22. 

What I am saying is that Jaksch should have been played off halfback where his athleticism and run would have provided an advantage.  Then there's the misuse of Rowe, failure to provide back up for Wood, failure to counter Richmond's two loose men behind the ball, etc, etc.

We went in with a plan that didn't work, mismatches that disadvantaged us, an unbalanced side and an underdone sub.  Worse still, the coach's response to being caught out was to shout at a young bloke and move players at random.

We were up by about 5 goals early on. I'm not sure if you can say that our plan didn't work exactly. I think there was a couple of spanners thrown in the works along the way and ultimately they outplayed us. The side picked and the injuries we had didn't allow us to do a whole lot.

As for the side picked, the majority of players picked were all in our best 22. With the exception of Casboult and Smith as the sub...not much to argue about anyone else.

In the end, it was a terrible day for us. Injuries, bad kicking and 50-50 matchups that went against us cost us the game.
As long as we learn from it going into next week. Don't care how 'out of form' Casboult is, we need him in the side.

Reply #329
We were up by about 5 goals early on. I'm not sure if you can say that our plan didn't work exactly. I think there was a couple of spanners thrown in the works along the way and ultimately they outplayed us. The side picked and the injuries we had didn't allow us to do a whole lot.

As for the side picked, the majority of players picked were all in our best 22. With the exception of Casboult and Smith as the sub...not much to argue about anyone else.

In the end, it was a terrible day for us. Injuries, bad kicking and 50-50 matchups that went against us cost us the game.
As long as we learn from it going into next week. Don't care how 'out of form' Casboult is, we need him in the side.

We were up by almost 4 goals, but we should have had a lead of at least 9 goals with reasonably accurate kicking.  If we had got such a break, I suspect Richmond would have capitulated and the discussions here would be very different.